This question was rolled out in our data structures Mid Term or test, i can't remember which.

I'm pretty sure it was the mid term.

The actual question if I remember correctly was something like.

'Is C++ the King of all Languages, it will always be around and is the best programming language ever made.'

Well, that was a giveaway. I answered 'YES'.

Well I got it wrong.

New and better languages can always come up.

It's been like 7 years, but C++ still holds its rank as King.

IMO opinion, if you know C/C++, you pretty much KNOW programming.

It's also the hardest language to master IMO.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

>>Well I got it wrong.

Why was you wrong? New programming languages has nothing to do with how bad or good c and c++ are.

was going to say the same

maybe the professors thinking that's java is better lol

maybe they think that's assembly is better (not joking)

maybe they saw some thing that's we didn't see

but they were wrong any way

don't think in that's

c++ is the best programming language ever made.

'Is C++ the King of all Languages, it will always be around and is the best programming language ever made.'
Well, that was a giveaway. I answered 'YES'.
Well I got it wrong.

Can C++ do graphics?
Can C++ do networking?
Does C++ contain every data structure that one would need?
Is C++ easy to learn?
Are there defects in C++?

I really do not see why you think C++ is a king of all language? It falls short in being
the king of all language. Hell if it was the king of all language, then there would be
no need for Java, C#, jaascript, html ...

I think the professor was giving the students some free points, in which you failed to
earn. Don't let your love of C++ hinder the actual facts. The fact is, although C++ is a very popular language, its hardly the best tool to use in most applications.

>> Can C++ do graphics?
Yes

>> Can C++ do networking?
Yes

>>Does C++ contain every data structure that one would need?
Yes, and if it doesn't the programmer can create his/her own

>>Is C++ easy to learn?
Subjective. Depends on who is learning it. Some yes, and others no.

>>Are there defects in C++?
Subjective. Depends on what you call a defect. IMO no.

>> its hardly the best tool to use in most applications.
I would agree that c++ is not the best tool in all applications. There are things that are easier to accomplish in other languages, but c and c++ can do it all.

>Well, that was a giveaway. I answered 'YES'.
The giveaway was that the statement is so biased as to be immediately false. The king of all languages and the best ever made? You seriously answered yes to that? :D

>It's been like 7 years, but C++ still holds its rank as King.
Where did you get seven years? C++ has been standardized for longer than that, and existed as the language of choice for many programmers for about a decade and a half before that. The language itself is over thirty years old.

>IMO opinion, if you know C/C++, you pretty much KNOW programming.
Best of luck moving to a completely different language (like LISP) if all you know is C and/or C++. There's more to programming than you think.

>It's also the hardest language to master IMO.
That's not a totally inaccurate statement, but I would say "one of the hardest".

>> Can C++ do graphics?
Yes

>> Can C++ do networking?
Yes

>>Does C++ contain every data structure that one would need?
Yes, and if it doesn't the programmer can create his/her own

>>Is C++ easy to learn?
Subjective. Depends on who is learning it. Some yes, and others no.

>>Are there defects in C++?
Subjective. Depends on what you call a defect. IMO no.

>> its hardly the best tool to use in most applications.
I would agree that c++ is not the best tool in all applications. There are things that are easier to accomplish in other languages, but c and c++ can do it all.

Maybe you are thinking C++ with external libraries can do graphics and networking, but not pure C++. A programming language is a tool. A good tool should provide the necessities for a programmer to solve the problem. Instead of giving you a wood, nail, and a hammer like C++, a good programming should already have generic stuff built in for you, so you avoid all the scrapes and cuts. C++ is definitely not the easiest language to learn, and when I say learn, I don't mean the basics, I mean the whole enchilada. I

C++ doesn't have native graphics support because it wasn't designed for that purpose. If you want native graphics then use c++/CLR (Windows Forms), C#, or VB.NET. As I said before, use the language that best supports the program design -- C++ is not a language for everything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.