i don't really care what is called, i just want to know the guy at number 2 in the top jobs chart is me or not.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_BESTJOBS2010_20100105.html

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Yes and no. It depends upon whom you ask, but a common distinction is that the software engineer is more involved in the design aspects than the programmer, who simply churns out code according to an already specified design (ie. a code monkey).

so programmer is junior programmer while software engineer is senior?

and can you not use the term code monkey, it is really annoying when people use it. i mean if a programmer is a code monkey then everyone can be some kind of a monkey, salesmen can be talking monkeys, software design guy can be a pattern design monkey. just don't use the word monkey.
i just don't want to get referred to as a monkey that's all, consider that programming is one of the hardest skills to master.

>so programmer is junior programmer while software engineer is senior?
Potentially. The same problem exists though: different people will define these terms in different ways. Perhaps both junior and senior programmers are code monkeys where the only difference is the complexity of assignments. Often "senior programmer" refers to a programmer on the way to becoming a manager.

>and can you not use the term code monkey
No.

>i just don't want to get referred to as a monkey that's all
I suggest you grow thicker skin, because whining about things rarely changes them. Consider this thread a life lesson in not being a pussy. :)

i noticed your title is Code Goddess, what is the difference between Code Goddess and code monkey?

>what is the difference between Code Goddess and code monkey?
The difference is my business cards don't say code monkey. :)

Hello All,

A Software Engineer does a lot more than just worry about coding applications. An SE could, for example, be focused on the design, implementation and maintenance of an enterprise-wide automated and integrated build solution, regression testing solution, packaging solution, distribution solution, etc.

I find that, typically, Software Engineers work on bigger picture projects than just basic application coding.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino
Chairman

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.