Post your riddles here!

Here's an easy one:

A bicycle takes exactly 40 minutes to travel a 40 minute journey. How long would it take a car that goes twice as fast?

Recommended Answers

All 127 Replies

Forward I'm heavy, backward I'm not. What am I?

A ton, because backward you are not.

What coin doubles in value when half is deducted?

Half Dollar (US)
Half Penny (UK, although it's nor produced any more)

Those are two that I can think of.

I'm surprised no-one has answered mine yet.

>> I'm surprised no-one has answered mine yet.

Too easy: 40 min :)

Well done.

How much dirt is there in a 2 x 2 x 4 hole?

Measurements are in metres.

There is no dirt, it is a hole!

What is greater than God,
Yet eviler the Satan,
All rich people want it,
Yet all poor people have it,
But if you eat it you will die.

Nothing

How many marbles can you fit into an empty bag?

One marble. It is not empty after you put one marble into it.

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town
And beats high mountain down.

Wind?

Time

It was one of the riddles that Bilbo Baggins answered to Golem in The Hobbit, though in truth he got lucky in his answer.

Simple one:

What gets wetter as it dries?

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? There is an anser.

A towel. And yes time was right.

Three men book a hotel room that costs £30. They pay, then go to the room. Then, the manager realises that they should have only been charged £25. He gives the porter £5, with instructions to give it back to the three men. Realising that £5 won't split between 3 people, the porter decides to give them £3 back (£1 each) and pocket £2 for himself.

The men each paid £27 pounds for the room (£30 minus £3 split between them from the refund) and the porter has £2. 27+2 = 29. Where has the missing £1 gone?

PS.
Easy-ish to work out, hard to explain the answer. DON'T google it...on your honour -_-

Situation 1:
The three men pay 30 pounds
(Status: 30 pounds manager/porter, 0 pounds men)

Situation 2:
The porter/manager gives back 3 pounds and keeps 2 pounds
(Status: 27 pounds manager/porter, 3 pounds men)

So you can not add up 27 + 2, as the 2 pounds are already added to the 25 pounds of the porter/manager, which brings them to a total of 27 pounds. And the men only received 3 pounds.

Edit, a better answer:

Let's say the men start off with 30 pounds and the hotel with 0 pounds:
The men have 3 pounds left
The men paid 27 pounds
The manager/porter has 2 (which the porter has in his pocket) + 25 (that the manager has) = 27 pounds
THe manager paid -27 (so he gained)

So you can't add up what the men paid with what the porter has in his pocket (which equals 29), as what the men paid is equal to what the manager and the porter have.

This is really confusing to explain ;)

Another riddle:

A home of wood in a wooded place, but built not by hand. High above the earthen ground, it holds it's pale white gems. What is it?

Three men book a hotel room that costs £30. They pay, then go to the room. Then, the manager realises that they should have only been charged £25. He gives the porter £5, with instructions to give it back to the three men. Realising that £5 won't split between 3 people, the porter decides to give them £3 back (£1 each) and pocket £2 for himself.

The men each paid £27 pounds for the room (£30 minus £3 split between them from the refund) and the porter has £2. 27+2 = 29. Where has the missing £1 gone?

PS.
Easy-ish to work out, hard to explain the answer. DON'T google it...on your honour -_-

£27 is the amount that the men didn't have. The £25 to the hotel and the stolen £2 from the porter (£25 + £2). £30 - £3 is their total outgoings (payment - refund). So the final sum should be £27 for what they don't have plus the £3 they do have to get the original £30.

The hotel kept £25
The porter kept £2
The men kept £3

Thing that should be added is what they kept and not what the porter stole.

What the hotel kept + what the porter stole = what the men don't have
What the men don't have + what the men have = £30

Your sum in the final paragraph was:

(What the hotel kept + what the porter stole) + what the porter stole = £29

Well done guys! Confusion is the aim of the game on that one. Yes the answer is in the logic.
And sorry about the error :[

A home of wood in a wooded place, but built not by hand. High above the earthen ground, it holds it's pale white gems. What is it?

a Birds nest :)

What is it that you can keep after giving it to someone else?

a Birds nest :)

What is it that you can keep after giving it to someone else?

Your love?

Nope. Very close though. Try again.:)

Hmm...

An STD/STI?

commented: LOL +0

Nope. The answer will be "Your word"

Nope. The answer will be "Your word":)

To be fair though, my answers are technically correct.

I suppose.:)

Here's one that took me a while when I first heard it.

A man walks up to two unmarked doors, each with a doorman. There is a sign between the doors saying "One of these doors will bring you great pleasure, the other will give you great pain. One of the attendants will lie, one will tell the truth. You may ask one question for both to answer."

What question should the man ask to find out the good door?

Remember: only one question which both will answer.

Ask the liar which door will give you pleasure. He will obviously show the door of pain, lying about it being the door of pleasure. The truth teller will show you the correct door for pleasure. Choose the opposite of the liar and the door the truth teller points out.:)

Ask the liar which door will give you pleasure. He will obviously show the door of pain, lying about it being the door of pleasure. The truth teller will show you the correct door for pleasure. Choose the opposite of the liar and the door the truth teller points out.:)

You don't know which one is the liar and which is the truth teller. They would both point to different doors in your scenario and thus you would get no true answer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.