I know you can't believe everything you read, especially if it's classified as an Advertisement.

While surfing the Web two days ago, I found an advertisement stating, "Death to the PC" I believe I was at a MSN Website. It also stated two major companies behind it that I don't want to put down. My explanation is below.

Is this a joke? Is this the typical scare tactic that spammers use in order to trick you into clicking on their advertisement? Maybe even something worse by clicking on it such as those Nasties and Viruses?

No, I didn't click on it. This also disappeared after two minutes. In my previous questions I stated why I didn't click on this, otherwise I would have made this a code snippet. I do not want to snip a link that would possibly endanger our Community Members. This is an important question to ask. I also wanted to warn others to beware of what you click on for your own safety. That is if my suspicions are correct.

I couldn't find this under News Stories, News Letters, or Editorials.

Thank you ahead of time for answering this question. :)

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Death of PC? Well, probably in 100 or so years from now after something better has been invented and accepted in business to replace the PC.

commented: Thank you for the reassurance! +0

Maybe quantum computing will be the death of the PC since it seems to be a technology that will radically change the PC industry.. if that made any sense.

commented: ++++++++ +0

Death to the PC? It must be a joke or something! I personally don't think its possible for a long time to come. The advert was just trying to create some propaganda to make people click.

commented: Yes, I concur. Is this a joke? & make people click +0

ya might be some propaganda

Just a marketing tactic to make you click on the ad, and a pretty good one as I imagine plenty of folk would do just that. Whether the endpoint was selling you something or trying to infect you, well nobody here can really say, can they?

However, on the subject of advertising banners that work, my favourite from many years back was when a magazine I worked for at the time as Consulting Editor decided to place some banners on the more popular sites of the time (this was at least 10 years ago) which simply said, in big and black and bold letters: PLEASE CLICK HERE.

The click through rate on those ads eclipsed anything the magazine had ever tried before, or since for that matter. Not so sure it would still work today, given that people are a little (only a little, mind) more security aware.

commented: All you have states is true. Thank you +0

Must have been an ad. We will be stuck with our pc's for quite some time I'm sure. It might change its look and feel, but it will still remain a pc....:)

I do not want to snip a link that would possibly endanger our Community Members.

Thank you, you are sooooo kind:)

commented: Thank you for making that notation. +0

RE, RE: Death to the Pc, is it true?

Originally Posted by Ancient Dragon Death of PC? Well, probably in 100 or so years from now after something better has been invented and accepted in business to replace the PC.

Thank you Ancient Dragon, my thoughts exactly. Probably what I suspected.

Originally Posted by Agapelove68 Is this the typical scare tactic that spammers use in order to trick you into clicking on their advertisement? Maybe even something worse by clicking on it such as those Nasties and Viruses?

Thank you again:)

RE:, RE: Death to the PC, is it true?

Originally Posted by PSAWICK829 Maybe quantum computing will be the death of the PC since it seems to be a technology that will radically change the PC industry.. if that made any sense.

Yes, that makes sense. I have heard about quantum computing years ago. Before Windows, if that makes sense. For now, I know it's just a scare tactic to get others whom do not know any better to click on that advertisement. But I might add my original search was on C++ and my operating system. That is why I was concerned with that message; Death to the PC's; but knew better not to click on it.
I believe that we are far from that being implemented in the near future, but you never know. That remains a mystery and I'll stop on that notation.
Just needed to know. When I am doing research for myself, I try to see if this will also be helpful to the community. Only if pertinent information is available, then I will pass it on here.
Thank you PSAWICK829 :)

RE: RE: Death to the PC, is it true?

Originally Posted by Mauconline Death to the PC? It must be a joke or something! I personally don't think its possible for a long time to come. The advert was just trying to create some propaganda to make people click.

*Thank you, Mauconline, I had the notion that was the case, a joke, and yes as you stated propaganda just to reel people into that advertisement. I'll state a bit more with happygeek and Andre Ret response, why it was so peculiar.

Is this a joke? Is this the typical scare tactic that spammers use in order to trick you into clicking on their advertisement? Maybe even something worse by clicking on it such as those Nasties and Viruses? No, I didn't click on it. This also disappeared after two minutes. In my previous questions I stated why I didn't click on this, otherwise I would have made this a code snippet. I do not want to snip a link that would possibly endanger our Community Members. This is an important question to ask. I also wanted to warn others to beware of what you click on for your own safety. That is if my suspicions are correct.

It seems to be that you and all the others are on the same wave-link as I am. Just wanted to be certain that this was not the case. Death to the PC.

Thank you again Mauconline :)

Why Hello Happygeek, nice to hear from you. Thank you for responding.

Originally Posted by Happygeek. just a marketing tactic to make you click on the ad, and a pretty good one as I imagine plenty of folk would do just that. Whether the endpoint was selling you something or trying to infect you, well nobody here can really say, can they?
However, on the subject of advertising banners that work, my favourite from many years back was when a magazine I worked for at the time as Consulting Editor decided to place some banners on the more popular sites of the time (this was at least 10 years ago) which simply said, in big and black and bold letters: PLEASE CLICK HERE.
The click through rate on those ads eclipsed anything the magazine had ever tried before, or since for that matter. Not so sure it would still work today, given that people are a little (only a little, mind) more security aware.

When I was doing some investigating research on C++ that advertisement was off to the right of me. It also stated two companies behind it, that will remain anonymous. It also remarked what two types of stocks one must purchase in the future in order to keep their PC's. Of course, I was leery; security-wise; to click on it. I do remember exactly what you just described. PLEASE CLICK HERE You would be shocked to know how many computer literate people actually did click on that in 2001. I knew better even then!*

*You are correct, no one can say.? What it would do or what it was about. But even so, at least it makes the community more aware of perhaps, DO NOT CLICK HERE, WARNING, OR IE. Sometimes others whom may be asleep at the keyboard, need not to throw caution to the wind, so to speak.*

Out of the ordinary when inquiring about C++ programing language?

The Majority of the Whole Concur and exactly my impression of what was questionable in my mind. In order to insure the safety of our community, I did not want to jeopardize it by snipping a link where I was. I'll mark this as solved, if anyone else has more insight, I would greatly appreciate the advise. :)

Thank you again Happygeek. :)

Thank you Andre Ret for your inquiry.:)

Remember, if you respond more than once, I might do that Oh, no, rhyming again. (It's a joke between us.)

Congratulations on Member of the month of November. You deserve it!

Yes, there are many other members working hard I can see!

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond.

Originally Posted by Andre Ret Must have been an ad. We will be stuck with our pc's for quite some time I'm sure. It might change its look and feel, but it will still remain a pc....

You along with the others her, coincide with one another all of your responses have been correct. I appreciate all of you assistance in these matters. Bring your attention to my response to Happygeek. A strange observation when just trying to obtain information on C++.

Thank you for drawing your attention to this:

Originally Posted by Agapelove68, otherwise I would have made this a code snippet. I do not want to snip a link that would possibly endanger our Community Members.

How do I expand and collapse this? I've tried the arrows to the upper right corner and nothing happens.

Thank you again Andre Ret. :) We'll meet again I'm sure.

How do I expand and collapse this? I've tried the arrows to the upper right corner and nothing happens.

Just hit the Post Reply button

RE: RE: Death to the PC, is it true?

Thank you Ancient Dragon, I'll try that. Thank you so much! I wish I could give you two points for that! :)

Originally Posted by Ancient Dragon. Just hit the Post Reply button

I must be doing something else wrong. I am also copying & pasting, could that be why?

Oh well, I'll try later, when I'm more alert.

Thank you Ancient Dragon :)

RE: RE: Death to the PC is it true?

It is past 1:00, I've got to run. I'll put this question down somewhere else. I shouldn't give out reputation points until, I know that what one says works first. Lessons learned. :)

ya might be some propaganda

Yes cindrilla, you're right too. Sorry that I missed responding to you.

Thank you. :)

Just hit the Post Reply button

I tried what you asked to hit the Post Rely button. I tried on cindrilla's response to me. Does this also work on my reply to you? I've tried this, but nothing with collapsing & expanding this reply. I'll keep this thread open, because I notice there were over 60+ whom reviewed this. But don't quote me on that exact figure. Maybe there are more IT professional that wanted to add something more.

In the meantime, I'll practice here what you said. That way my posts, threads, and replies won't be so long. I wanted to personally thank you, hope this continues to work.

Thank you again for all of you being so patient with me in learning all of these tid bits on the how-to-do. Every little bit helps. What forum, or sub-forum would I put a question such as this. How or where do I use these codes and where do they go? Or other questions that have to do with the FAQ's & rules. Example, is there a way I can put down a link to helpful web sights in my control panel lieu of a code snippets? Where is the proper forum to ask a new thread, with those type of questions?;(as in the paragraph above?)

This way, once I'm more familiar with these, then I can really start aiding this community.

Thank you again Ancient Dragon I really appreciate your help. :)

Questions about DaniWeb go in DaniWeb Communicty Feedback

commented: Thank you for being helpful. I appreciate the tip, where to post my questions with, "How do you...?" oops you misselled community, but I navigate there. :) +0

Questions about DaniWeb go in DaniWeb Community Feedback

Thank you again for all of you being so patient with me in learning all of these tid bits on the how-to-do. Every little bit helps.This way, once I'm more familiar with these, then I can really start aiding this community.

Thank you Ancient Dragon for all of your help. :) I'll be back & give you another point for the pointers. Hee! No really thank you so much! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.