It's not uncommon to have a mental image of people online that is a complete mismatch with their real world appearance. I thought it would be interesting to see how different members of Daniweb are perceived by their peers.

Pick any members you find interesting and describe how you imagine them to look/act in real life.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Ok let me start with you :)

Initially I used to think that you're a guy, because of your avatar at that time may be. As far as ur appearance goes you always bring up the image of my English teacher from school: very thin, tall and probably you wear contacts but have a pair of geeky glasses which you wear to scare off irritating kids and ignorant programmers. As a person you seem to be smart but strict and very helpful to people who try (that's perceived from your posts here). and a bit old school in terms of likes and dislikes. WOW.. I might be completely off ;)

I also think that Jonsca's an interesting person but his description will come later ..

commented: Really, I'm anxious to hear this one. :) You have my Featured Poster interview as a starting point, no fair +0

It's not uncommon to have a mental image of people online that is a complete mismatch with their real world appearance. I thought it would be interesting to see how different members of Daniweb are perceived by their peers.

Pick any members you find interesting and describe how you imagine them to look/act in real life.

That's easy, look at my picture :)

If any of you are assuming I look exactly like Ryan Reynolds wishes he looked, I have to congratulate you on being 100% correct.

OK, I guess I'll just describe a few members here with one liners:

Narue-chan: Someone who bullies everyone everywhere; be it a MMORPG or an interview. I've always imagined you as a woman with an evil gleam in her eye. Of course, YMMV. :-)

Rashakil: A mean geek who lives for the sole purpose of insulting lesser mortals and anyone who refuses to acknowledge Haskell. Doomed to get a doctoral in Math.

John A: I've always imagined Joey to be the next Mark Zuckerberg given his geeky nature and innate management/leadership skills.

Wolfpack: A Japanese guy who doesn't love anime, drinks a lot and lives a mysterious life. OK, maybe not the last one... :-P

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Narue- I dont know why but I first imagined her to be like my old maths teacher. In her 50's with medium to short grey hair. She was quite intelligent but had a really feminine girly voice and a wouldn't hurt a fly. Then I saw narue's picture and thought she looks more like sigourney weaver (dont ask me on the spelling) from alien. I suspect most of her online personalities are not true life personalities.

I imagine her to be emotional and sexual woman. Cross paths with her and you'll be sorry haha!

Sulley Boo- I imagine Sulley Boo to be a really sweet indian/Arabic girl with a love for food and her cats! I imagine her to be quite petite with youthful looks and a good heart. I imagine her too look like this Indian girl I know called Kully, but that won't mean much to anyone else.

WaltP- Older... wise. Gets irritated by me a lot. Probably doesn't even program for a living but seems to know C well.

Rashakil fol - Super geek. Seriously, this is one of those guys who is sooo intelligent he would probably corrects the teacher. I suspect he has a mild form of Asperger's syndrome... Because he is highly intelligent and when he posted a video of himself playing Tetris on the piano, I was like... Wow, to get that good, you must have a OCD of some sort which is common with AS.

SoS- Intelligent middle aged indian man? Learned very fast on daniweb. I suspect from his signatures he is quite emotional and a hopeless romantic, but something has always gotten in the way. When his fairytale was destroyed he has taken a pessimistic view on the world.

Dani- Hard worker, never complains. Loves her pets!!!! (But are they a substitute for a partner?? Her pets will never let her down) I'd imagine she is quite social... Well the NY pictures seemed to show her and HappyGeek having a lot of fun.

High plans and ambition...Daniweb is testimony to this.

Salem- Mid 40s. Lives in the uk like me, bachelar, he must be because he never seems to drop in enthusiasm for making forum posts. Addicted to the interweb. Bags of experience and pioneer of some the maximums I learned anyway in regards to c/c++ (dont use void main.)

How did I do haha?

commented: Wow. More detailed and interesting as compared to my post. Nice one. +0

iamthwee:

Most likely 2 persons using the same account, or some sort of mild personality disorder. Can sometimes give excellent and spot on answers, but gets more enjoyment from being a troll. When the heat is on (yet another warning/infraction), he likes to lay low for a while to trick the mods into thinking he's changed his wicked ways. But then: BAM, the troll is back.
He makes DW (especially the Geek s' lounge) a more interesting place to visit.

commented: aww shucks mwwwwwwwwwah x +0

Nick Evan - A llama who can somehow use a computer. Maybe the avatar is just throwing me off.

Narue - Makes me think of Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina which makes it hard for me to imagine what she's like.

Ancient Dragon - Not sure why but I imagine that they're some sort of company director or at the least, a head of department in a big company.

I also think that Jonsca's an interesting person but his description will come later ..

I just ran across this... I'm touched (okay, I'll delay that until after you write something).

This is what I imagine WaltP's basement to look like: (only it's an operating system built on Bliss with a Lisp-like scripting language on top, and he's ported gcc and Chrome to it)

I found a photo once of a geek in his bastment.
I thought it fitting to include it as what I am in real life.
Consider a smoker that does not smoke upstairs and has a Man cave to prop up in.
I Also have a fasination with computer hacking.
I can remember my First laptop a Compact portable, not a laptop.
I had a Color monitor with 16 shades of green.
I wrote a application call doors ; Not to be confused in no way the theft of windos.... NO NO.", In bordlan turbo C.
Using the code I downloaded at 1200 baud, from the BBS in Reading PA.
The phone call cost me around 2 dollors.
I installed my first OS in 2002 , it was win 98 se, on a Pentium running at 200 mh
I pushed the computer to 450mh and 128MB of ram. My mother in law uses it for her church news letter still.
So I also ramble on about stuff I know about.
this post took a long time to write, please excuse me , for doing that.
Oh I just remembered.
When I was layed off as a machinist I wrote scripts on a nother formum,
I messed with a web site called SNIP SNIP SNIPPETY SNIP.
using the scripting language of java script and a firefox plugin called iMacros.
Cool as crap, So this is how I am in real life.
Because This is my life, and I enjoy it.
Or what is the point anyway?

I installed my first OS in 2002

Did the OSes for your earlier computers run out of ROM? ;)

I am Emirati. My lovely mom is indian. The rest is all perfect :P 10/10 But I'm not sure about Kully though.

WolfPack: Young. EXTREAMLY helpful. You can rely on him. Hard worker. Enjoys life.

iamthwee: Sometimes he makes me feel he is in his 90s .. *hugs* the coolest person on earth. Plus, SMART. Full of life. Can make anybody smile/laugh.

commented: Hugs you too! +0

Did the OSes for your earlier computers run out of ROM? ;)

To answer your question:

No the ROM was not a issue.
The man at the store told me that I would never run out of 20meg of hard drive space.
Considering a ROM chip could store a large amount of information and was only ever read from. I believe the ROM was only used to get the computer started , and not typically used to run the computer.

To answer your question:

No the ROM was not a issue.
The man at the store told me that I would never run out of 20meg of hard drive space.
Considering a ROM chip could store a large amount of information and was only ever read from. I believe the ROM was only used to get the computer started , and not typically used to run the computer.

[OT]
I was teasing because you said you installed your first OS in 2002. If you hadn't installed it, I was joking that it must have been in ROM when you got the PC (I think the Apple II OS was in ROM, or at least the BASIC interpreter was). Surely these earlier PCs had some OS (DOS perhaps).
[/OT]

I personally think that Narue dresses like a ninja and bounces her small child on one knee while furiously navigating DaniWeb on her iPad. She has a voice activated IDE which parses her oral scripting language into code segments. I imagine that in addition to her ninja training she's also trained as a markswoman in the armed services and can steady her heartbeat under her own volition... that's just a guess, though.

I think Nick Evan has a steel-cased laptop with a Harley Davidson sticker on it and he uses it when takes a break from work to sit at a Dutch sidewalk cafe. He has a leather jacket with a patch on it that says "slechte ezel," (sorry, best I could do) and has one of those wristbands with the spikes.

commented: Lol :) +0

>> slechte ezel

Hahaha :) I suppose you meant "bad ass", but this translates as "incorrect donkey"

>> slechte ezel

Hahaha :) I suppose you meant "bad ass", but this translates as "incorrect donkey"

Yikes, it was worth a good laugh. Somehow I knew that was going to backfire on me. Blame Babelfish!

Lardmeister: very smart, very young

Ancient Dragon: very smart, very old

commented: Rep for keeping this thread going +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.