I'm a big fan of Seti@home ( http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ) and was wondering if I created a Seti TechTalk group, if anyone would be willing to join it. ;)

For those who aren't aware, Seti uses our unused CPU time to investigate satellite reads in search for extraterrestrial intelligence. ;) It's funded by The Planetary Society, Sun, Intel, and many other big companies, and has been around for many, many years.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

I wonder when we'll come across extraterrestrial intelligence. There's very little intelligence on this planet so we're in desperate need of all that we can get. ;)

I'm a big fan of Seti@home ( http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ) and was wondering if I created a Seti TechTalk group, if anyone would be willing to join it. ;)

For those who aren't aware, Seti uses our unused CPU time to investigate satellite reads in search for extraterrestrial intelligence. ;) It's funded by The Planetary Society, Sun, Intel, and many other big companies, and has been around for many, many years.

yes, i wud b very interested!

I wonder when we'll come across extraterrestrial intelligence. There's very little intelligence on this planet so we're in desperate need of all that we can get. ;)

ROFLMBO!!! 2funny inscissor!

i was looking for a quote by Carl Sagan that went somethinglike 'Either we are alone, or we're not, either way it's amazing' when i found this quote by Arthur C. Clark: "Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering."

personally i don't see how we can be the lone sentient species of the universe.

Carl Sagan was definitely a great one. I watched most of his documentaries. "Billions and Billions" was a real treat.

On the subject of quotes... I'd like to share some of my favorites. I used to have these on my diary a while back.

Educational/Inspirational:

You tell me, and I'll forget. You show me, and I'll remember. You involve me, and I'll learn.

Great things are not done by impulse, but a series of small things brought together. - Vincent Von Gogh

Life is a hard teacher. First it gives you the test, then it gives you the lesson.

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who doesn't is a fool forever.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton

Only those who dare to fail greatly can achieve greatly. - Robert F. Kennedy

Romantic Quotes (Yeah, even I have a weak spot. ;))

Love is like playing the piano. First you must learn to play by the rules, then you must forget the rules and play from your heart.

I love you not for what you are but for what I am when I'm with you."

Things do not change, we change.

I have some funny ones, but they would spoil the mood after reading the above. :)

Why inscissor, i must now view u in a somewhat different light - very kewl! btw, i'm fairly certain your 1st quote is attributable to Benjamin Franklin. i've never compiled a list of my favorite quotes, but, now, i'm thinking i should start doing so...

Seti scans the skies for leaked radio waves, like the TV Signals we are transmitting now. the bad news is, we are getting more and more efficent and less and less information is leaving our Solar System. Your mobile telphone call is sent via high-frequency radiowaves (on the verge of Microwave radiation) which is absorbed by interceding matter much faster than low frequency radio waves. Cable TV signals don't even get into the air, and Satalite Signals are of course beamed towards Earth from Space, not the otherway round.
So if we are getting more efficent at preventing leaked radio waves, why shouldn't another civillisation? There is pratically no chance we would they would be in between the first phases of radio transmission and the first phases of preventing leakage... unless, of course, they are looking for us.

I prefer to use my CPU to help find a cure for cancer.

You're going to view me in a different light now? Oh man, how did you view me before? ;)

quite favorably bro, but not some1 who was a '90s man (as we would say - "back in the day"). very glad 2c u've got heart as well as brains.

Seti scans the skies for leaked radio waves...the bad news is, we are getting more and more efficent and less and less information is leaving our Solar System...why shouldn't another civillisation?

1) I know next to nothing about signal propogation and related technologies.

2) It is my understanding that transmitted signals are radiated in a 360 degree sphere - and if this is so then the satellite signals are indeed being sent to our interstellar neighbors as well.

3) We can only base our knowledge of technological growth on the one and only model we know of - our own. What if our growth could be termed abnormally rapid when compared to other "technically advanced" civilazations (should the opportunity ever arise)? For that matter, to be fair, we may also be defined as slow under the same comparison - who's to say?

4) Regardless of the window of opportunity, it only takes the interception, and conclusive analysis, of one artificially generated signal not of terrestial progeny to prove the point of extra-terrestial intelligence.

I prefer to use my CPU to help find a cure for cancer.

We all have our causes in life, and I can think of none more worthwhile than pursuit of cancers' cures.

Thanks aeinstein. It's ok if you had that impression. This is, after all, a tech forum, so that's all I really can talk about. As far as me posting what you think about psychoanalysis or psychometrics or anything related with psychology, well... I don't think it would go over that well here (I'm into Psychology). Also, I'm into music, theater, and arts as much as I am into computers, but I don't post much about that stuff. Very passionate actually. I started playing the piano and drawing/sculpting since I was about four. Anyways, if I had posted stuff related on those subjects (like why I prefer Chopin's music over Beethoven's), it would've definitely given you a different view of me, so I think anyways. But sometimes it's ok to judge a book by its cover... initally, because how else are you going to judge it if you don't know anything else about it? Just be aware that the cover isn't the reason why you're buying it... well... unless you're insane. :)

Just my thoughts.

Satalite signals are beamed over a narrow area on Earth. They are not transmitted 360 degrees - you couldn't use a dish to transmit them then, adn it would be thhousands of times more expensive.

inscissor - ur welcome; sounds like ur a true Renaissance man, and thats 100% compliment bro. me, i'm more of a 12th century man myself! ;)

Satalite signals are beamed over a narrow area on Earth. They are not transmitted 360 degrees - you couldn't use a dish to transmit them then, adn it would be thhousands of times more expensive.

well, like i said, i know almost zero about signal related tech - thanks for the info. of course, be that as it may, it doesn't negate radio transmissons...

Renaissance... I wish. ;) Argh, just sorry it came off as bragging, was trying not to. Just trying to say that there's more to life than computers. I'm sure you have other interests. Care to share? ;)

inscissor, bro, u werent bragging - thought i made that perfectly clear:

inscissor - ur welcome; sounds like ur a true Renaissance man, and thats 100% compliment bro.

Renaissance man
n.
A man who has broad intellectual interests and is accomplished in areas of both the arts and the sciences.

ps: oh, care to share? ... used to dabble in poetry, Frost is a favorite (btw, in college we read a nine page poem about a king(?) who, convinced the queen was poisoning him, ingested small doses of arsenic to build up his tolerances - to no avial; strike any bells?) palette knife painting & rock collecting; i like Beethoven, Verdi and ...Shania Twain ;)

inscissor, bro, u werent bragging - thought i made that perfectly clear:

inscissor - ur welcome; sounds like ur a true Renaissance man, and thats 100% compliment bro.

Renaissance man
n.
A man who has broad intellectual interests and is accomplished in areas of both the arts and the sciences.

ps: oh, care to share? ... used to dabble in poetry myself, Frost is a favorite (btw, in college we read a nine(?) page poem about a king(?) who, convinced the queen(?) was poisoning him, ingested small doses of arsenic to build up his tolerances, to no avial; strike any bells? yeah, i know, but college *was* a looong time ago 4me!), palette knife painting & rock collecting; b4 all is done & said i'd like to try my hand @ writing a meaningful sci-fi work; i like Beethoven, Verdi and ...Shania Twain ;)

Hahaha. Dictionary.com. I like that. Well, I'm definitely interested, but definitely not accomplished.

Beethoven, Verdi, and Shania Twain?! Haha, that's a combination. "That don't impress me much!"

Yeah, I dabbled a little in poetry. I have to see if I can dig some up.

Man, do do you feel like a woman?!

yea i do - make mine a brunette please! ;)

Just to be sure... you know that those are song titles I was referring to... right? I don't want you to think I'm a psycho or anything. ;)

Man, do do you feel like a woman?!

is a song title? ok, i thought u were being a little, ah, ah, ah "different" ;)

Yeah. "Feel like a woman" and "That don't impress me much" are songs by Shania Twain. The only ones I know. I hope you were being sarcastic. ;)

hehehe! yeah, i was being a bit of a jerk! sorry, couldnt resit! ;)

That's right, fool. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.