Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Face it, meat resources are dwindling with the ever increasing population.

I suppose it depends on where you live. That's probably true in many parts of the world, like China, where resources are scarce. But we here in USA don't have that problem -- yet. We can always increase meat production if needed.

I recall the time when they showed the way chicken were slaughtered in schools. Many children stopped eating chicken meat that would have been good for their growth and health, and started eating Wonder Bread and hot dogs instead.

:-/
yeah, still not really bothered.

I won't deny i feel i really should be outraged, but i just can't really summon up the disgust.

outraged about what? Slaughtering animals for human consumption is never pretty. There just is no nice way to kill something. But that doesn't mean we have to be cruel about it, as in a few utube videos I've seen. We in USA have laws against cruel treatment of animals, including those that are about to be slaughtered.

hadn't watched the chicken one, it looked ok to me. it was more the ammonia thing

Oh, I understand -- yes the link in my original post is pretty discusting.

Member Avatar for diafol

So what's the problem? Eating m-s meat or the method of killing/keeping beasts?

Is m-s meat bad for you? Apart from the crap they put in it to make it look like real meat I mean. The actual lips, gums, tendons, ligaments, bone marrow, etc - edible is it not? UNless we're talking mad cow disease or something similar where certain organs/tissues have a higher concentration of prion.

Surely it's better to eat every possible part of the animal? Energy cycles and all that. Still, keep out the additives though.

I prefer a trace of ammonia over Escherichia coli, urine, pubic hairs and cigarette butts.

Member Avatar for diafol

> I prefer a trace of ammonia over Escherichia coli, urine, pubic hairs and cigarette butts.

Pah! Watered down ammonia is the effete version of urine without all the goodness. Gimme the real stuff any day. It's like drinking decaff or sitting down to urinate. Fag butts - I agree - no fag butts in my meat and I wouldn't put my meat in a fag butt. Ugh. I'm gonna have to sit down, I've come over all queer.

Anyway, E coli - you want to die-t, leave out the ammonia.

Ammonia, lye, acetic acid: all chemicals I don't mind in my food, and have been essential to preserving food for millennia.

For all you city folk this is a video of one way chickens are slaughtered on family farms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lDtXeMHOMLw

My god... that looks flipping delicious! It's so fresh you could just bite in, like sashimi.

commented: good point +0

I remember the days when restaurants used to serve chicken liver. Now most folks throw the stuff away.
Actually, I feel sorry for the mechanic that has to do the separation. :)

To list ammonia as some horrible chemical only shows the sorry educational state this country's news reporters are in.

Member Avatar for diafol

Herr Haber would be proud of you bumsfeld. I'm sure he didn't mean to turn his arm to chemical warfare!

commented: thanks +0

A group of students in USA used the uni lab facilities of one of their professor fathers to analyse hamburger chain beef patties. 5 - 18% muscle tissue [what you would call meat, normally], plus connective tissue [tendons, ligaments], much organ tissue [you could hope for just liver heart lungs kidleys etc], fat, water and some parasite cysts. Colours and fillers [grain based], of course.
Here in Aust. the two big US chains ran for a while ads showing prime beef yearlings in paddocks. As if. You get 12yold cow remains in hamburger.
You get what you pay for. You don't pay much.

Reminds me that somewhere in the seventies of the previous century, I saw this movie.
Still 11 years to go...
"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!! We've got to stop them—SOMEHOW!!!"
Edit: I still know how to kill and prepare a living chicken. It should be teached at school!

I am a vegetarian from times to times, no problem with that.
I eat mushrooms, beans, you name it.
Knowing the movie I have never been keen on products like, veggie burgers, made of this

I remember the days when restaurants used to serve chicken liver. Now most folks throw the stuff away.
Actually, I feel sorry for the mechanic that has to do the separation. :)

You got that wrong, it's a mecanic, not a mechanic.

...and now im hungry.

Member Avatar for diafol

Strangely, I like Quorn. It doesn't taste like meat, but it's better than that horrible tofu stuff. Being made from a fungus, it's not a plant and as it's saprophytic, it's got character. I like that. Now mix some Quorn with cow's lips and duck webs and you've got a tasty bolognese.

Here in Aust. the two big US chains ran for a while ads showing prime beef yearlings in paddocks. As if. You get 12yold cow remains in hamburger.
You get what you pay for. You don't pay much.

hamburger? where's the ham?

Pretty useful post, keep them coming!!..

Strangely, I like Quorn. It doesn't taste like meat, but it's better than that horrible tofu stuff. Being made from a fungus, it's not a plant and as it's saprophytic, it's got character. I like that. Now mix some Quorn with cow's lips and duck webs and you've got a tasty bolognese.

Sounds DELICIOUS. ha!

ouch

Good for the high protein diet I am on!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.