Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by 5starAffiliates

By the end of the week the site will be section specific. In other words, the yellow and purple will only be on the homepage and non-forum pages. Each category will have its own color scheme.

Shame, a common look for the entire site makes it look a lot more professional.
I'd prefer that colour to be blue though (but then I don't like yellow :) ).

Overall it looks a lot more professional than the old layouts, job well done overall.

The idea behind the multiple colors is that each section is like a subsite with DaniWeb being the umbrella company. Many corporate sites use a common layout with different color schemes between subsidiaries ... including MSN, Google, etc. Additionally, since we cover so much, and a C++ programmer might have little in common with someone needing Windows support, the advantage is that it acts as a visual aid to navigation, and helps divide one big conglomerate site that covers everything into subdivisons, each targeted to a different audience. There is a marketing advantage to this as well.

The idea behind the multiple colors is that each section is like a subsite with DaniWeb being the umbrella company. Many corporate sites use a common layout with different color schemes between subsidiaries ... including MSN, Google, etc. Additionally, since we cover so much, and a C++ programmer might have little in common with someone needing Windows support, the advantage is that it acts as a visual aid to navigation, and helps divide one big conglomerate site that covers everything into subdivisons, each targeted to a different audience. There is a marketing advantage to this as well.

I do agree on your point about visual aid...but can't that be given in hands of user.....set your own color scheme...like we do in the mail box of yahoo

I like the new look - the transition was smooth - seemless even - I just woke up and BAM! New site! And it loads a little faster on my SLOWWWWW dial-up, too - thankfully! Ummm, and I really, really like the yellow (and the coffee beans). :)

Thanks, Dani! ~Kath

Can individual users, such as color blind people, customize the colors? They may not be able to easily read text that is in green, such as inside code tags.

While you can't do this from within DaniWeb (all of our colors are defined via a CSS file), those people who have sight problems that affects their web browsing habits can easily apply their own preferred CSS to all pages they view via a preference option in both the IE and Mozilla browers.

I personally don't really like the new look, but it is still very good and easy to use. I think this one is probably nicer to use than the last one though. But I love this site though, it is one of the best sites I have ever found.

Well, I don't really care for it. It's not bad, but I don't like it as much as the previous look.
One thing I liked about the old look was that the featured blogs showed how many comments had been posted; this kept me from having to open a thread and scroll to see if anything new was afoot. That's gone.
Also, while I know many people prefer simplicity, I can't help feeling like the site isn't quite finished yet, like it's under construction.
That's just my opinion though, and I am in the minority, so...

Daniweb looks nicer, but I didnt like the yellow bars, is there no better shades like light green or light red?

This is NOT a complain:
And I guess almost all the members have been demoted :(. I am a junior poster back again.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.