Hi All;

I recently bought some new parts for my computer and am not sure if it will work as easily as i hope it will, i was running a Foxconn mobo, a Radeon x850 GPU, a AMD Atahlon processor and 1gb of ram on a 150gb HDD with XP sp2 installed, i want to know if i can swap out the GPU, CPU, and MoBo without any problems since XP sp2 is on the HDD and i wont be changing that out.

Regards
Wingmark

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi All;

I recently bought some new parts for my computer and am not sure if it will work as easily as i hope it will, i was running a Foxconn mobo, a Radeon x850 GPU, a AMD Atahlon processor and 1gb of ram on a 150gb HDD with XP sp2 installed, i want to know if i can swap out the GPU, CPU, and MoBo without any problems since XP sp2 is on the HDD and i wont be changing that out.

Regards
Wingmark

Changing motherboard will need a reinstall ( i kindly doubt it not doing ).

You'll need to get another hdd, either to back up the data or to install the OS on (you would use your exisiting hdd to store data)..
..i dont see another way.

sorry

New GPU is not a problem, just remove old video drivers and install the latest drivers for your vid card. As for motherboard, if your new board is the same chipset or close enough (such as Intel chipset X48 to X58) then it is likely you can just swap boards and Windows might end up having to re-detect some resources. In any case it is always a good idea to download and install the latest chipset and graphics drivers.

change also the windows to 7 or 8

Hi , the oem Windows license is attached to the mainboard etc , the replacement mainboard ,may be used and so also attached to another windows license
The hdd contains licensing data that will be used to re-validate the oem license, along with the replacement mainboard serial number, which is tied to the unknown previous computers oem license
So which license ? Questions
A sure solution is to attach a stand-alone Fully packaged product Windows7 license

My dear friend you have use window 7 or any advance.Than your work will be fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.