Anyone know what happened to the rest of member of daniweb. There are 899,995 Members, to be exact and only less than a 10000 members post in daniweb community. Anyone had any idea why the rest of the members never post and since they never post or seek for help. Why did they create an account in the first place?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Lots of people come to DaniWeb and search for the help they need without ever actually having to ask explicitly for it. That's why we are so protective of our knowledge database, it's a great resource for people looking for help.

Most of some one creates account first time(for single problem) and post his thread and after got solved it, they leave from here.
Most of every one seeks help for one or two times, but most of some are regularly visiting the site.

What ^(s)he^ said :).

>> less than a 10000 members post in daniweb community

Do you mean in this forum or on Daniweb in general? Because Crunchie for example has made more posts than this on his own.

That would still be 1 member. I think the point is that the main page displays how many members there are, yet these members are not necessarily active.

The main page displays how many registered members DaniWeb has, rather than how many active members, how many members with more than 10 posts, how many members which have posted this week or how many members had toast for breakfast this morning. It's as good a metric as any, and probably easier to calculate (from a resource load perspective) than attempting to come up with some formula that defines what an active member actually is. We have members who joined, never posted anything but found what the help they needed and then went away for a couple of years before coming back when they needed more help, and even then never posted (other than maybe a PM to say thanks).

No doubt many, as did I, found it through a browser search while trying to solve a problem. Either we solved the problem here, or moved on and solved it some other way. After that need was met, we didn't need Daniweb, and consequently forgot about it, as we have returned to our primary vocation.

Russel

Anyone know what happened to the rest of member of daniweb. There are 899,995 Members, to be exact and only less than a 10000 members post in daniweb community. Anyone had any idea why the rest of the members never post and since they never post or seek for help. Why did they create an account in the first place?

890.000 homework kiddos dumped their homework assignments and never posted again after being either ignored or told where to stuff it.

So true. You see a member, give them a hearty welcome, HELPED them and then get a kick in the a** for it. The real members here is much more than 10 000 though I'm sure.:)

The real members here is much more than 10 000 though I'm sure.

I'm not so sure. The regular posters in the java forum are numbered in the low dozens. Then there are the one-shot Johnnies who come in with a question, get an answer, and go on with their lives. Nothing wrong with that, but they're long gone as soon as they get an answer.

Is there any forum with more than 100 people posting in each of the last three months? I doubt it. More than fifty? Maybe, I haven't spent any time in the C/C++ fora. So if there are about 20 fora - and I haven't counted - and they have maybe 50-100 people posting in them on a regular basis, you have maybe 1-2k regular posters. What's your lurker ratio? Maybe five to one? So that's maybe 6K people looking at some forum regularly. Maybe more, maybe less depending on how well my stipulations hold up, but as a fermiation I think it's probably pretty close.

[EDIT: Notice that I didn't dock any members for groups like Legacy and CS, which get maybe one post a day on average - take out the basically dead groups and this number goes WAY down]

It's as good a metric as any

No it's not. It's a number that never goes down - how can it measure anything about your current status?

That's the answer i would like to have given if i was smart enough.

The numbers of members increased almost everyday. But of those who created daniweb daniweb daily almost 99.9% of them did not even post. I mean if they created daniweb urgently to seek people help or just create an account for fun and help raising the numbers of members. I agreed with the rest above.

Those who create a daniweb account and have their problem solved. Can post again to help others who are facing the same problems. They can helped others since their problem is solved. Anyway, i think there are actually less than 900 000 members. Some people have more than one account. I went to another discussion community similar like daniweb there are less than a 1000 members. Pathetic. But in truth there are only a 100 members. Some members have more than 10 accounts. They would use other account and post that there have a problem. Then the same person will log in to another account and post some random stuft. Then he will log back into the first account and marked the thread as solved. Even though, it is not

Continue from the post above. That is why some members in the community have solved more than a few hundred threads, even though they did not help anyone at all. I suspect there a a few members here have more than 5 accounts. They did not become active to arouse suspicious. So in actual fact there are only less than 850 000 people in daniweb. And most of the members come form the west side of the world map, like america or england. Most people in asia are not aware of this website. maybe we can try and raise the popularity of this website. Many of my fellow singaporeans are facing computer problems. WE can advertise this website to them and hopefully they will become active. And not once their problem had solved and forget about daniweb

Royng. You have the ability to edit your posts within 20 minutes, I believe.

Please do so instead of re-posting every few minutes :).

Ok, thanks crunchie. Just now i accidentally pressed the post button and i had not finish my post. But thanks anyway

I know that I first created an account, got my question answered and went away. Later, I had another question so i came back, got it answered, looked around and found a question I could answer. Finally, I fell into the Geek's Lounge and never managed to escape.

It's an abyss.

Yeah, once you get addicted on daniweb you could never escape . You might spent your time helping people or seeking help.

But there are many who after received help stop going to daniweb

Some people just want help, and once they get it they're gone. That's okay. There rest of us like community, being a part of something bigger than ourselves and helping others. And through helping others we grow, sharpen our own skills and often realize something new that solves an old problem we had forgotten about. This sense of fulfillment and being a member of a great community is something you just can't buy. It is earned and I'm still trying to earn my way in, so I can appreciate all of you who give so much of your time to making DaniWeb what it is.

commented: Yep. +0

Yeah, i agreed. Some of us choose to stay and remained in daniweb to be a part of a bigger family. Daniweb might seem like a second home to us. At the same time we have improvement in our computer skills.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.