hi guys, i am going to sit for a major exam soon. Any ideas which topic to study for a high school student, and what i should take note off. Maybe in biology, take note of DNA and cells. Thanks

Regards,
jingda

Portgas D. Ace commented: Doesn't know how to spell study. +0

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Stduy Tips

Maybe spelling :)

Yeah, spelling error can't be afford to make in exam. Our teacher will give us a zero for any mispell words. But what topic do i have to look out for, crunchie

>> But what topic do i have to look out for

How could anyone but you possibly know? Normally the teacher tells you what the exam is on. We don't even know what courses you are taking. I guess you're studying biology, so take note of DNA and cells. But wait a minute! I only know that because it's in your post!

That said, I suggest studying John Steinbeck. There'll probably be a question on the test about The Grapes of Wrath, so make sure you've read it. :icon_rolleyes:

That is why i ask you guys since you guys have already graduate from university. I am taking a university entrace test and the topic is very wide. Our teachers only wish us the best, she never even tell us which topic will be tested. I am hoping you guys can help me out

>> That is why i ask you guys since you guys have already graduate from university. I am taking a university entrace test and the topic is very wide. Our teachers only wish us the best, she never even tell us which topic will be tested. I am hoping you guys can help me out

Well, that's more info than you told us before. Before it was only "a major exam". Is this the Singapore version of the SAT? What field of study are you going for? What type of University? Details, details. Standardized test? Timed test? Multiple choice? At best I could give you advice on how best to get into the CSU or UC system in California. I haven't the foggiest idea on what they ask in Singapore. My advice would be to ask someone who's already taken the test, preferably recently, in Singapore. Better yet, there must be a school guidance counselor. Ask them.

I gave two choice of university duke university or imperial college in london. This is just an entrace test to gauge out standards and reserve a place for us when we are old enough. I am 14 years old now, if i past the test i will be accpeted into the university when i am 18 years old ( 4 years later ). Only the top 100 hundred singaporeans can take part. I am hoping to get a course in history, geography or science. The test vary, since it is the first time i am taking part. Topic will be tested from high school to university. Hope you guys can help. Maybe tell me what subjects will be tested since you guys have gradutated from university.

Thanks again

Regards,
jingda

Member Avatar for diafol

So you need help to pass the test? Topics will vary. High school to University level questions. Tests from two different countries (Duke, USA & Imperial, UK). Hmmm, that narrows it down slightly.

Hit the books my friend - revise, test, review. If you are in the top 100, you will know what to do. If you haven't got the foggiest idea, that perhaps it is not meant to be.

This is what the top dog at Imperial had to say 3 years ago:

The tests would seek to examine students for their innate ability and problem solving skills rather than subject knowledge. We are going to have entrance exams that will test ability. We are looking for students who really will benefit from an IC education. The examination will look for IQ, intelligence, creativity and innovation and will not be too dependent on rote learning

That was for British students. I have no idea if this has been implemented or whether this type of test is the type you're talking about.

Yeah, spelling error can't be afford to make in exam. Our teacher will give us a zero for any mispell words. But what topic do i have to look out for, crunchie

Perhaps work on your writing??... grammar, spelling etc.

Yeah, spelling errors can't *afford to be made* in *an* exam. Our teacher will give us a zero for any *misspelt* words.

The whole sentence is awkward.

In the top 100, has so uch pressure. Teachers kept on printing notes and notes. And the only thing she does is to tell us to work hard and she expects us to excel in the exam

Then you need to ask someone who knows and is willing to tell you. Asking on an online forum is fine, but I doubt this is the right one. I almost guarantee that someone out there who has taken this test has written about it far more extensively than what your teacher talks about. Google and ye shall find.

You might also be extremely pleasantly surprised if you contacted Duke and Imperial directly, assuming they are the ones making the selection. Profs LOVE to guide ambitious young people and I also wouldn't be surprised if the former "winners" were willing to talk to you. They're there now and obviously took the test and passed it.

But all this requires writing a perfect intro letter which proves you've done your research ahead of time and took the time to craft the letter. No typos, no grammatical errors, none, get right to the point, and don't ask any questions that they think you should be able to determine on your own. Never heard of Imperial, but Duke is highly competitive. They're looking for maturity and seriousness.

There is an Imperial College in England, heard that they have a pretty good reputation. Yeah, so far many people have taken the test by we are the first batch of Singaporeans, so no other Singaporeans can give us ' inside ' information regarding the test

>> we are the first batch of Singaporeans, so no other Singaporeans can give us ' inside ' information regarding the test

Then perhaps ask non-Singaporeans for the inside information. If it's the same exact test, asking a Swede or whoever would be just as good as asking a Singaporean. Shouldn't be too hard. The world wide web is world wide. Me, I had to actually FIND people who went to these schools in order to talk to them. You youngsters with yer fancy internet. Back in my day...

But figure out who's giving the test and who's evaluating and what their standards are. Look at ardav's post. Find out if it's the same test. Find out if it's the same guy, etc.

Thanks but where is the link to ardav post?

Focus on the areas you know well and make sure you don't miss any in that area, you could also try to beef up the weak ones, but be sure not to miss something you are supposed to know.

>> Thanks but where is the link to ardav post?

ardav made one post in this thread. This is a two page thread. That's not very long. When someone refers to someone else's post, if they don't give a link, it should go without saying that you should at least go through the earlier posts in the thread to look for it. The fact that you did not even make this small effort plus the fact that you did not proofread your posts on a thread asking for advice on how to get into two top-notch universities suggests a lack of seriousness on your part. Make sure the folks at Duke and Imperial don't see this thread.

Member Avatar for diafol

I didn't give a link - it wasn't current. Just a bit of headline news from 3 years ago.

commented: I agreed there is no link. So why does someone keep saying there is a link? +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.