Well,
For the past week I had been spending all of my time programming and posting on Daniweb.
However, for the last two days I haven't been able to get on a computer.
Today I just got on Daniweb for the first time in two days and looked at all of the threads
that I was trying to keep up on...wow! I am spending A LOT of time on daniweb! Don't get
me wrong, I love Daniweb! But dude, I really need to have SOMETHING else I do! :)

- WolfShield

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

It's just like any other addiction!
Spread your addictions out a little.

Haha,
Like post in THREE different areas? :)

- WolfShield

Find a hobbie.

- Workout
- Sports
- Poker?
- Get a new look
- Go hang with friends
- masturB**e

Member Avatar for Falcon25

Become an advertiser of Daniweb :)

Or just go out and masterb** - I mean have fun

Haha,
Yeah, I've got a few things to do out here in the country. And I'm not really bored,
I just realized that I was spending to much time on this one thing.

- WolfShield

It's a common problem with on-line "communities". The effect is actually similar to playing a slot machine - each act of checking in is a small invesment on its own (I'll just read this one follow-up, or respond to this one thread = I'll just put in another quarter) but they add up (where did that hour go? = where did my paycheck go?).
Sites like Daniweb encourage this sort of thing by setting a high premium on immediate response - if you want to be a highly-valued contributor, you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot with the answers. Nobody cares if you know the answer twelve hours later, or even twelve minutes later, if it's already been posted, so there's an incentive to keep checking in on "your" forums.
This is something that can be addressed, but it won't be, because the slot-machine effect drives ad views, and that's what pays for the site, so you'll have to deal with it on your own.

My first suggestion: stay out of the posting games!

Hmm,
Great post jon! Good in-site and advice. Thanks. :)

- WolfShield

???... After I post this exact solution to your problem, mark this thread as solved, for there will be no better answer.

--- Drink Drank Drunk. That is all.

Chocking a chicken that's the best anyone could think of?

Have a big pot of some black coffee, break out the full flavored smokes and lean back to scan the room, letting it all settle in, you ponder why you've confined yourself in a room to stare at the glowing box with its radiant warmth. How long till your eyes ache, and you're regretting your missing time?
You've got beat this addiction, before it has you injecting pure internet forums intravenously, in the back of a hotel alleyway.

Or buy a motorbike XD

Haha,
I'm working on that Portgas D. Ace. Can I call you Mr. Ace? :D

Btw, I would drink, but I'm too much of a genius to waste my mind (lol, yeah, right!)

- WolfShield

Chocking a chicken that's the best anyone could think of?

Have a big pot of some black coffee, break out the full flavored smokes and lean back to scan the room, letting it all settle in, you ponder why you've confined yourself in a room to stare at the glowing box with its radiant warmth. How long till your eyes ache, and you're regretting your missing time?
You've got beat this addiction, before it has you injecting pure internet forums intravenously, in the back of a hotel alleyway.

Sounds like a good time. I'm sure OP is just going through a phase. I was addicted to internet forum at one point ( lol ).

@OP, gather some friends, and go to movies, go clubbing, go out! Get away from the house. Go workout. Learn something new, how old are you?

commented: Sounds like you got the overall balance just about right. +0
Member Avatar for iamthwee

Sounds like your typical geek (the OP).

Well the solution is simple. Do everything in moderation. Work + play + social life +love life + fitness. If you feel one part of your life is lacking then HELL do something about it!

The point is, if you are geek, then you probably have a knack of clearly planning a logical route to achieve an end goal. This may come naturally in the context of say 'programming.'

Now, all you have to do is do the same with being social, or improving your fitness ... or whatever it may be.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you if you keep on doing something, whilst actively learning from your mistakes you're bound to get better.

The point is to take action.

commented: Learning from elder as I go. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.