Just read a new story Google begins war against Windows.... Google is going to launch Chrome OS, a Web-based operating system... I thought ion this idea and was bit confused both (web-based OS and old hard-Disk based OS) have benefits as well as limitations but i think old OS have advantage over the new web-based OS as they have lesser threats what do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

There are two problems I have with web-based OS.

1) Poor/no internet connection areas: if you can't access the internet with a highspeed connection a computer with a web-based OS is useless. Particularly for business people who travel a lot there are many places with very low quality and/or very expensive internet connections where you would be unable to do any work.

2) Privacy/Disclosure issues: businesses have trade secrets that they don't want anyone else getting access to including Google. There are also issues around patent law over if you share information through third parties (ie: Google) by using their e-mail client or their cloud it could count as a disclosure (since Google now has access to that information) and prevent you from patenting it.

For personal computers cloud computing is feasible but not for businesses.

disk-based os is cheaper -- you don't have to buy internet connection in order to use it. disk-based os is more reliable and faster. You don't have to rely on other people's computers in order to run your own.

You are right AD... these are the issues are of much more concern than those which may rise in HD based OS

I totally agree with what Agilemind posted

I totally agree with what omega066 posted.

yes ,maybe you are right

commented: I think maybe you're just a poster of 1-line pith and a spammy sig-link +0
commented: I think Salem may be right. +0
commented: Useless +0

I don't think that people ar too enthusiastic about saving their personal documents, on who knows what, who knows where server... People like storing data on their parsonal medias, so that only they have access to them

commented: Agree +0

I agree, I prefer Windows OS and I am satisfied with it plus it is cheaper so why change into uncertain kind?

disk-based os is cheaper -- you don't have to buy internet connection in order to use it. disk-based os is more reliable and faster. You don't have to rely on other people's computers in order to run your own.

I won't shift entirely to Chrome OS. But hey something like this could be useful like accessing music and pictures and who knows what else no matter where you are.

But yes, won't have anything "confidential" on my instance of Chrome OS. It will serve more as a multimedia hosting thing for me than an actual full-blown Operating System.

I don't think that people ar too enthusiastic about saving their personal documents, on who knows what, who knows where server... People like storing data on their parsonal medias, so that only they have access to them

especially if the host has such a poor privacy related record as does Google...
I wouldn't trust them 10 seconds to not sell my documents to the highest bidder, either a competitor or some shady spammer or scammer.

Mac OS for me. New Web based OS by google? Bah, who give a damn about that. The Standard ones Windows, Mac and Linux are way better.

commented: Don't use your other user name to fix votes. That's just lame. +0
commented: jingda ---you are caught again +0

I agree, I prefer Windows OS and I am satisfied with it plus it is cheaper so why change into uncertain kind?

I did not see such dull opinion-less answer for long time. Wake up dude, there are other OS then Windows some paid like Mac OS or free like most of Unix. If Google OS get any close to Android why not to try...
Anyway you will get choice of data storage.

PS: Microsoft was attempting to make Office an internet application with documents stored somewhere on their servers, like Google Documents are now. This was before release of Office 2010, however due to number of security issues, technical difficulties they been facing and ridiculous pricing schema this was scraped, the only remains of it is http://workspace.officelive.com/en-us/

I knew M$ was going to do that but was wondering they they never did it. Oh well, I would not have ever used it anyway for the reasons others here said about Google OS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.