0

I'd like to know what is the best Torrent program, and how do you find torrents of all sorts of subjects (music, tv etc) ? I've tried uTorrent and a few others and I can't get what everyone else supposedly is getting ?!?!?

9
Contributors
29
Replies
30
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by predator78
Featured Replies
  • What everyone else is getting is probably illegal, so be careful that you don't get sued for downloading copright material. Read More

  • 1
    Ezzaral 2,714   6 Years Ago

    Much of that "free stuff" is pirated material and discussion of that is off the table here. Read More

  • [QUOTE=sergent;1568663]I see you never used pirate websites. I do not support piracy but I think current copyright laws are outrageous. If they do not change them there will be more and more piracy. I have about 8 friends in school who download pirate music and only 1 who actually pays … Read More

  • >> what is the best Torrent program I like uTorrent and bittorent. The best torrent program is a completely separate issue from pirating/copyrighting. There are plenty of artists/developers who WANT their stuff out there for free and uTorrent and bittorrent and the filesharing sites are a God-Send. With them, there's … Read More

1

What everyone else is getting is probably illegal, so be careful that you don't get sued for downloading copright material.

0

> and I can't get what everyone else supposedly is getting ?!?!?
Well, ask them then.

Be careful how you ask about such things here, as discussion of illegal activity is not tolerated at all.

Edited by Ezzaral: n/a

0

Just wondering, what everyone is doing I need to find some free stuff on torrents.

Edited by Siberian: n/a

1

Much of that "free stuff" is pirated material and discussion of that is off the table here.

0

It would not surprise me if many pirated programs contain viruses and malware. That's another good reason not to download and install them.

-1

I see you never used pirate websites. I do not support piracy but I think current copyright laws are outrageous. If they do not change them there will be more and more piracy. I have about 8 friends in school who download pirate music and only 1 who actually pays for it! I think it is not fair and wrong. If you will just keep closing web-sites like piratebay more will pop-up and nothing will happen. What is needed is a major copyright reform.

Edited by sergent: n/a

Votes + Comments
piracy advocate
0

Most people are not going to admit to piracy, there is a fine line to it. If you pirate a program then pay for it down the road, I don't see that as a bad thing because you will be supporting the software which add to it's development although some bigger software companies continue to roll out software that could be improved because they have the budget they don't listen to their customers, but do all customers know what is effective that can go with almost anything.

Piracy is down in North America if people are really paying for it is another question, unless by closing all these torrent sites down that is the reason for the decline. Although it is completely opposite in Asia, where piracy continues to dominate.

Edited by Siberian: n/a

1

I see you never used pirate websites. I do not support piracy but I think current copyright laws are outrageous. If they do not change them there will be more and more piracy. I have about 8 friends in school who download pirate music and only 1 who actually pays for it! I think it is not fair and wrong. If you will just keep closing web-sites like piratebay more will pop-up and nothing will happen. What is needed is a major copyright reform.

So you don't think theft is wrong. Please give me your home address so that I can come over and steal everything you or your parents own. No matter how you want to justify it, theft is theft. Artists and record/music/movie companies work hard to create the stuff you like and you have no right to steal it from them.

There is not a thing wrong with our copyright laws.

Votes + Comments
well said
0

I think Bill Gates got enough money already? If you think paying $1000 for songs on your
I-Pod is alright, and millions of people who download pirated programs is not a sign that there is something wrong with copyright system well... I have nothing to say

Edited by sergent: n/a

1

>> what is the best Torrent program

I like uTorrent and bittorent. The best torrent program is a completely separate issue from pirating/copyrighting. There are plenty of artists/developers who WANT their stuff out there for free and uTorrent and bittorrent and the filesharing sites are a God-Send. With them, there's no issue. They're freely sharing it.


>> I think Bill Gates got enough money already?

Straw man argument. Most artists don't have two nickels to rub together.


>> It would not surprise me if many pirated programs contain viruses and malware. That's another good reason not to download and install them.

Pirated programs with key generaters/false authentification systems, yes. You're probably safer downloading music and videos. I'm waiting for the developers to start implanting their own viruses.


It's just about impossible to stop. They're all hosted offshore in countries and by people who don't give a damn about U.S. Copyright laws. As for what sites to go to, as Ezzaral mentioned, regardless of your personal opinions on the issue, it's against the rules to post pirate sites here. You shouldn't have any trouble at all finding another forum where people know and will tell you.

0

I think Bill Gates got enough money already? If you think paying $1000 for songs on your
I-Pod is alright, and millions of people who download pirated programs is not a sign that there is something wrong with copyright system well... I have nothing to say

who are you to decide what's "enough money"? Apparently you've some magic number, and if someone has more than that it's OK to steal everything they make?

I hereby decide you have too much money, and we should all go to your house and steal your stuff in order to ensure you don't have too much any more.
By your own logic you should allow that, invite it even.

The only reason people pirate stuff is because they can, same reason people steal cars and break into houses and other buildings to steal what's inside.
They're too selfish and mean to allow others their freedom and property, too lazy to work to get what they want so they steal it instead.
Add to that the "it's on the internet so it should be free" idiocy and you've a pandemic of crime.
Copyright laws indeed need work, they need to be made far more strict and allow far higher penalties (including the death penalty for repeated infractions, and felony charges for even minor infractions, rather than the current wristslapping) and far more international cooperation among law enforcement agencies and legislative branches to make international crime easier to battle.

Votes + Comments
yes :)
I have my opinions and I will not change it because of you!
0

The death penalty??? I'd rather they just chop off a limb, such as a finger or a leg. Eventually the pirate won't have any fingers left to use the internet :) But the death penalty is too extreme.

0

>> felony charges for even minor infractions

By definition this is unfair. Felonies are by definition "serious" or "grave" crimes.


>> far more international cooperation among law enforcement agencies and legislative branches to make international crime easier to battle.
>> including the death penalty for repeated infractions

Pick one or the other. We can't get most European countries to even consider extradition unless we guarantee the death penalty won't be imposed even in the most heinous murder cases.

This is assuming your suggestion are actually to be taken literally. With most people I'd assume your simply exaggerating. I'm never sure with you. :S

0

>> I'd rather they just chop off a limb, such as a finger or a leg.

See. That's more reasonable. We'll hire the Northern Ireland "ex"-paramilitaries to enforce. They need the work and they have a demonstrated aptitude for imposing punishment beatings and/or kneecappings depending on the severity of the crime. We'll just codify it into law by victim.

  1. Lance Bass - Broken Jaw
  2. Lars Ulrich - Death by boiling
  3. Katy Perry - Warning for first offense, waterboarding for second and beyond. Has both a deterrent effect plus they'll give up the ringleaders of the group.
  4. Marilyn Manson - Punishment will be any of the scenes from any of the Saw movies.
  5. Kanye West - no punishment
0

>> felony charges for even minor infractions

By definition this is unfair. Felonies are by definition "serious" or "grave" crimes.

"United States copyright law governs the legally enforceable rights of creative and artistic works under the laws of the United States."

By definition under copyright laws this is a serious crime. Not that I agree with it but according to the United States government copyright infringement is a serious crime.

1

Just some other thoughts about copyrights....
1. Would you personally sue a 12 year old little girl and her family because she happened to be smart enough to download a torrent and gain access to something you created and own rights to?

2. Would you personally sue the creater of a program that allows people to share files which could pottentially be used illegally?

3. Would you personally sue websites that premote the use of file sharing programs?

4. If you were the creater of a program like adobe photoshop. Would you personally sue a hard working person who pays their bills but barely scrapes by just as many of us do, and this person downloaded your material for free and used the program for personal use?

5. Consider the same person in question 4. Now he decides he is going to start downloading multiple copies of your software and sell them at a cheap price to his buddies who would like the software. Would you sue him now?

Point of fact is there are many senarios that can be played out, and each case should be handled seperatly and decided on by the owner of the product.

0

>> By definition under copyright laws this is a serious crime. Not that I agree with it but according to the United States government copyright infringement is a serious crime.

I'm not saying copyright infringement isn't a serious crime. It can also be a minor crime and can also be a trivial crime and it can also be a purely civil matter. It ranges from me and a couple of drunk friends banging out our pathetic rendition of Korn's "Y'all want a Single" in our garage and neglecting to pay someone the 25 cents we owe them to pirating 4 million copies of their CD and selling them at the airport for a buck apiece and pocketing the money.

"Minor infractions" was a quote from Jwenting. A minor infraction isn't a felony. Go after the big boys or just realize that the technology is here and it's pretty much impossible to stop. The days of paying $15 for a CD with three new songs are over. At the same time, I don't need it or expect to get it for free. I can and do buy the individual songs off iTunes or wherever for 99 cents apiece. I've bought a lot of great music from people I would have never heard of ten years ago that way and almost all of the money goes directly to them. The music industry middleman is no longer needed since the artists can now record and mix their work and upload it without ever having to mass produce physical CDs and I can buy it directly, download it, and play it.

0

Agreed I thought it was hilarious that Metallica actually chose to sue their fans and napster when they probably gained a fan base they never would have reached without the help of the internet. Guess it would be to much "work" to do a tour with their newly created fan base compliments of the company they sued :).

0

Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution .

The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights which prohibits the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines or cruel and unusual punishments.

From Wikipedia.


Well, if I have too much money by the same logic, everyone who has more money then my family (which is 60% of middle class) we should take there money too, and it will include majority of people. I do not support piracy, I just say the current copyrights, and potent laws are outdated. So if you want to "reward" the artist/person who made something why does the copyright law lasts 70 years AFTER the authors death?? I see no point in that. I think the authors/inventors/artists can be rewarded without potent and copyright system, because all it does is slow down progress.

0

"Minor infractions" was a quote from Jwenting. A minor infraction isn't a felony. Go after the big boys or just realize that the technology is here and it's pretty much impossible to stop. The days of paying $15 for a CD with three new songs are over. At the same time, I don't need it or expect to get it for free. I can and do buy the individual songs off iTunes or wherever for 99 cents apiece. I've bought a lot of great music from people I would have never heard of ten years ago that way and almost all of the money goes directly to them. The music industry middleman is no longer needed since the artists can now record and mix their work and upload it without ever having to mass produce physical CDs and I can buy it directly, download it, and play it.

Well, I have an Ipod with 0 songs on it. And it is all because of those laws. I listen to the songs on Youtube.

I don't think it matters death penalty, or cutting of limbs. You can easily be fined $100k for sharing things over the internet but people still do it.

If there was a fine of million dollars and/or death penalty for pirating and no one would get cough, everyone would still do it. If there was a fine of $100 and the probability would be that you WILL get cought, no one would do it. It works the same for everything. And the best Idea would be to CHANGE COPYRIGHT LAWS!

0

And nowadays most music is not owned by original owner but by sonny and other big companies.

What should be done and easily can be done:
1.) No patent extension, 1 time is enough. The inventor can easily get the money he/she deserves in 1 time.

2.) Make copyrights 15 years. At least when the Author DIES! I don't see how the artist/authour/coder will get "reward" for his work, 60 years after his DEATH! This just makes big companies richer and us pay more money for those things!

0

You might feel a little bit diffrent if it was something of "yours" in question though. If you say that 60% of the middle class makes more than you and your family currently. Then say you created something that could provide not only you but your entire family and possibly your grandchildren with a better life don't you think you would want to protect that? 2 sides to every coin...

0

You might feel a little bit diffrent if it was something of "yours" in question though. If you say that 60% of the middle class makes more than you and your family currently. Then say you created something that could provide not only you but your entire family and possibly your grandchildren with a better life don't you think you would want to protect that? 2 sides to every coin...

If I became famous, or wrote a good book, and had a lot of money, I still would like my children to work by themselves, and be able to provide for themselves, and not live of there granddad's inheritance. If they never done anything in there life, and don't deserve it I don't think they should have it. And in real life what happens is that not even grandchildren get the money but rich corporations. Also even if it is better for me it is not better for society. I do not want my grandkids to hold patent for something I invented just to have money, I would like my future "invention" to not slow down world's development, but speed it up. There is plenty of ways the author/inventor can profit without patents and copyrights.

I AM NOT A PIRACY SUPPORTER. I do not go around and say "hey go download pirated stuff". Even through I think some people don't deserve what they have, some of them do, and therefore it is impossible to tell who does and who doesn't deserve the money. I DO USE PIRATED things, but if I did NOT download them, I would never be able to buy them in real life, therefore it does not really matter. I used to have a pirated book I really liked, but then because I liked it so much I got the next edition for my birthday, therefore supporting the author.

0

Hopefully nano-tech will do just that and get rid of most of the worlds current major problems as they are today. I'm still like a kid in a candy store thinking about the possiblities of the technology and it's possibilities.

0

I use Utorrent for File Sharing, no illegal downloading or anything, Completely used legitimately. It's simple to use, neat, hasn't crashed once. Excellent program. For doing legal things...

0

Just some other thoughts about copyrights....
1. Would you personally sue a 12 year old little girl and her family because she happened to be smart enough to download a torrent and gain access to something you created and own rights to?

2. Would you personally sue the creater of a program that allows people to share files which could pottentially be used illegally?

3. Would you personally sue websites that premote the use of file sharing programs?

4. If you were the creater of a program like adobe photoshop. Would you personally sue a hard working person who pays their bills but barely scrapes by just as many of us do, and this person downloaded your material for free and used the program for personal use?

5. Consider the same person in question 4. Now he decides he is going to start downloading multiple copies of your software and sell them at a cheap price to his buddies who would like the software. Would you sue him now?

Point of fact is there are many senarios that can be played out, and each case should be handled seperatly and decided on by the owner of the product.

1) yes, age is no excuse for breaking the law
2) no
3) yes
4) yes, income status is no excuse for breaking the law
5) yes

Creation of a tool isn't a crime, it's the use of that tool.
Of course most creators of p2p tools also market them explicitly for illegal purposes and they can be prosecuted based on that.

0

>> far more international cooperation among law enforcement agencies and legislative branches to make international crime easier to battle.
>> including the death penalty for repeated infractions

Pick one or the other. We can't get most European countries to even consider extradition unless we guarantee the death penalty won't be imposed even in the most heinous murder cases.

This is assuming your suggestion are actually to be taken literally. With most people I'd assume your simply exaggerating. I'm never sure with you. :S

yes, they are to be taken literally. It's piracy, and piracy at the high seas carries a mandatory death penalty so why not this form?

As to European countries not wanting to extradite, that's why laws need changing and international cooperation and synchronisation of laws is needed.

I'm not talking about chopping someone's head off for downloading a single song.
But for the diehards, who download, redistribute, and often sell gigabytes a day and make money out of it? Sure.
I've had friends lose their jobs because the company they worked for went under as a result of piracy.
None of them died as a result, but others have (suicides because they ended up in the gutter quite frequently).
As a result, pirates (especially the large ones) are directly responsible for the deaths of people, thus a case can be made that piracy in volume is homicide.

0

yes, they are to be taken literally. It's piracy, and piracy at the high seas carries a mandatory death penalty so why not this form?

As to European countries not wanting to extradite, that's why laws need changing and international cooperation and synchronisation of laws is needed.

I'm not talking about chopping someone's head off for downloading a single song.
But for the diehards, who download, redistribute, and often sell gigabytes a day and make money out of it? Sure.
I've had friends lose their jobs because the company they worked for went under as a result of piracy.
None of them died as a result, but others have (suicides because they ended up in the gutter quite frequently).
As a result, pirates (especially the large ones) are directly responsible for the deaths of people, thus a case can be made that piracy in volume is homicide.

Not sure where you live jwenting but remind me to never visit. I don't think I ever want to be in a place where a teenager downloading music is directly linked to mass suicides and even homicide. I also think it might be scary to live in a government under the control of someone that supports killing of citizens for anything less than murder.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.