To most Christians, the bible is like a software license. Nobody actually reads it, they just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree"

I agree with you......
Very few person can think deeply about it... Every Other christians want to think easily..So they don't like to think through our view....

Well then I'm asking a mod to close his thread now.

We are having fun - go away if you don't like it.

>>

This could be a much over-simplified view of things. I'm not sure. Since some lefties survive, there must have been at least some times where it was advantageous to balance out the Madonna scenario.

Yes that is quite simplified since each individual has 2 copies of each gene the interactions between these copies and between different genes can greatly influence the speed of decline. So yes we would expect if the advantage of being right handed is constant that lefties would eventually disappear but this is missing 2 important caveats:

1) it could takes along time for all the lefties to disappear so its possible they are still declining and just haven't completely disappeared yet.

2) Mutations can continuously resurrect lefties since selection against them is likely very weak even low rates of mutation could be enough to maintain a reasonable number of lefties.

Of course it is also possible the benefit of being a righty vs lefty probably changes over time (eg. develop a sling to carry the baby instead or become more stationary so baby can stay home), which could also help lefties hang around longer than we would expect.

Strange that the Bible is the world's best selling book, estimates are in excess of 6,000,000,000 (yes, that's 6 Billion copies) in over 2,000 languages (and those stats are 20 years old). Link here. I think the atheists are outnumbered. That, of course, does not mean 6 billion people bought it, many people own more than 1 copy.

Not necessarily, most of the atheists I know own a copy of the Bible. I own a copy of the new testament that I was given free by some church group, haven't gotten around to reading it yet though. Bible stories can still be amusing even if you don't believe they are factually true, just look at the success of fairy tales, or the Narnia books.

Question is why do most faith abiding folks get lumbered into the same bracket that are brain-washed or fundamentalist?

Because they voluntarily financially support the fundamentalists by giving donations at their church.

>> Not necessarily, most of the atheists I know own a copy of the Bible.

I find that atheists tend to be quite well-informed regarding the Bible. They can't argue in favor of atheism without understanding the Bible. They understand religious points of view far better than religious people understand the atheist point of view. I'm guessing it's at least partly because atheism is a minority view and minority points of view are more likely to be challenged, so they want to be ready for it.

>>> I find that atheists tend to be quite well-informed regarding the Bible.

Another reason is the kind of person to become an atheist are generally inquisitive and many were formerly religious.

>> Not necessarily, most of the atheists I know own a copy of the Bible.

I find that atheists tend to be quite well-informed regarding the Bible. They can't argue in favor of atheism without understanding the Bible. They understand religious points of view far better than religious people understand the atheist point of view. I'm guessing it's at least partly because atheism is a minority view and minority points of view are more likely to be challenged, so they want to be ready for it.

Lots of scientists has minority view above you mention ?
By the way atheistic view is growing up....
Don't want to compare Science & christian belief....Its not use.at-least we compare with philosopher

Arguing about religious preferences is even worse than arguing about political preferences.

I've only read the first few pages of this thread. Outside of the Bible-bashing and God-bashing statements that make worthless claims rather than debatable points, there are some good points, and flat out wrong information.

Disclaimer: Many of my points have not been fully researched by me as I am not a biblical scholar, but I have seen some research that I am relying on. Most, if not all, can be found on the web.

First, to your post (FYI - using LIST tags makes responding difficult...)

First of all, I am a confused christian, and I am creating this thread to see if I can clear out some fog in my head. So lets start.

Claim: The bible is false in the sense that it was not written with the guidance of "god"

The way I say it:
"Did God create Man? Or did Man create God". IOW, If there is a God, enough said.
But if there isn't, Man needs something to believe in, other than we were just an accident of nature. So God was created to answer the unanswerable.

Reasons for my claim :

Originally there was a lot of contradiction in the bible because it was written by humans

• These contradictions were refractor-ed by a humans, specifically some committee of who's name I can't recall
  • No claims, if it wasn't for all of these refractor, more and more people will be aware of such contradiction and hence people will start to question and possible see the problems with the bible. Which could cause a tremendous loss in the business of selling bibles and spiritual objects

Refractor? There is no definition I've found that fits your text. Did you mean removed?
AFAIK, these contradictions have not been removed. If they have, it's only been recently.

There are things in the bible, still, that regular people find disturbing, such as the topic of homosexual, or parsing men more important than women.

• Really, if it was written by god's disciples, and were the words of god, then such discrimination shouldn't exist, because god is suppose to love everyone of every type.

There is nothing in "the original" writings that translates into homosexual. This is a recent addition by some conservative religious fronts. As for women/men, remember when the bible was written. It's only been recently that men and women have a (somewhat) equal standing. Back then, women were barely second class citizens. Hence men are more important than women in the context of the times.

• It also says that unless you follow him specifically, you will live eternity in hell? WTF!!! My family members are hindu, they are one of the best people that I know. My friend is not a believer in jesus, but possibly of a creator in general. He is one of the nicest and caring person that I know. Should he goto hell? For what? For some minuscule sins? So the bible is saying, I could kill thousands of people, and ask for forgiveness with all my heart, and from there be the best person I can be, then I will goto heaven, but my friend who does nothing* wrong, tries to pleases people before him, will go to hell because he didn't believe in jesus in particular! Come on now, that does not sound like "god's words".

This point is my biggest gripe with 'Christianity'. Most other religions aren't so uppity to state "we are the only way to believe".

There is no type of evidence that supports the bible and anything in the bible

• Most events declared in the bible are "fairy tale" like, and nothing supports their claims.
  • Some events, were explained by science and thus was not a supernatural. It was an actual explainable event with some probability.

Not true. Many of the events in the Bible have been proven to have actually happened, and many of the places have been proven to exist. As a historical document of places and 'major' events (wars, people, cities, and such) the Bible has so far been proven to be pretty accurate.

As for small events (burning bushes, raising the dead, water to wine), these events are too small to have been recorded in historical records. It's basically the religious stories that are in question, i.e. the proof of God.

In factual sense, the bible is no more true than the Quran( the religious text of Islam) . The reason why many people believe this book than others is because they were brought up by it. When they were little, they had no intelligence to rebuttal and question the content of the bible deductively. And thus the result is that they take it true for granted from day one. Honestly, imagine you were a christian brought up with parents who believes hinduism. You would most likely believe this hinduism, especially if you were never able to leave india( assuming thats where you were born) which in turn would cause you to never find christianity with a high probability, because of their strict culture.
[/LIST]

Since the Bible and Quran have the same roots, this makes complete sense.

But it has little to do with "intelligence to rebuttal". It has to do with simply "teaching". Remember when the world was flat? Who didn't believe it? Or the Earth being the center of the universe? It sure appears to be even to me today. I only know different because of science and exploration that came before.

And, getting back to topic, where was (the alleged) Jesus during the missing years of his twenty's? There's research that shows he was in India, learning their teachings. I find that interesting and plausible.

So in desperate help, I ask you to prove me false. I ask you to rebuttal each and everyone of these statements. My mind is going crazy these last few nights. The more I think about it rationally, the less I believe.

Sorry, can't prove you false. Can't prove you true either. I have many questions too.

And I agree that some of the Bible (e.g. creation) is meant to be taken metaphorically. Yes, God created the universe and everything in it, but the Bible doesn't explain how it was done. We now know that the universe was created over many billions of years and life on Earth evolved. Do you really think people at that time could have comprehended the idea of evolution of huge time spans like billions of years? Those people thought the Earth was the center of the universe and that it was flat. God spoke to those people in terms that they could understand, even though it was much too simplistic.

Yes! Whether it was God or just Moses writing the creation (doesn't matter), you talk to the people in language they understand. And back then they comprehended little of the state of the Universe.

Actually there is no proof that jesus christ was a historical figure. The only stories we have about him were written 50 or more years after his death. Only one of 'magic' 4 writers of the gospels actually met him.

Not true. A historian name Josephus did in fact write one (two) sentence on Jesus, showing he probably did exist.

And AFAIK, not one of the 4 'writers' ever met him. Their names were given to the gospels but had ho part in the actual writing. I believe the earliest gospel was written over 100 years after the death of Jesus.

I'm pretty sure science has proven the Great Flood (Noah's Ark) couldn't have happened because there isn't enough water on the planet to have been as deep as said in the Bible. Which would at least prove there has been exaggeration in the Bible.

In the manner written, no. But even the Native Americans have a version of the flood in their history, so some version of a flood probably happened.

If you're a confused Christian, then perhaps you're not a Christian (which is not a bad thing). In other words, it's almost like a left handed person is being forced to be a right handed person.

Nuts! I'm human and I'm always confused about many things about humans. I'm also a programmer and I'm confused a lot. :)

Sorry, it just bothers me when people say they are born Christian or that their baby is Christian, which is not true any baby can grow up Muslim as easily as they can grow up Christian depending on what their parents/community exposes them to.

:icon_rolleyes: Yeah, right! I'm not an American just because I was born in the America, either. And of course, you're not a Canadian.

It their parents are Christian then of course they are born Christian. And they can become Jewish or Hindu later in life if they choose, just like I can become a Canuck if I decide to.

commented: IOW is that short for Iowa? +0

First, one obvious reason is your claim that you are a confused Christian. Confusion is the work of Satan, and he can always work darkness and deception against anyone who is confused. You must settle in your heart and mind that the word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit, who told it to the writers of the bible originally. Second, you must get your understanding and revelation knowledge from the Holy Spirit, not some counsel of carnally minded men. Third, never compare the bible to the Qu-ran or any other religious book. The Qu-ran was given by an angel ( supposedly Gabriel ), who choked the prophet Muhammad into submission first, and then gave him what is known as the Qu-ran. Paul the apostle warned about angels giving a different gospel to us that what he preached in Galatians 1:6-9, so take that warning seriously. John 14:26 says; But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (American King James Version). Let the Holy Spirit eliminate all confusion, and receive the truth from Him concerning the bible, not anyone who says something from their reason and logic.

First, one obvious reason is your claim that you are a confused Christian. Confusion is the work of Satan, and he can always work darkness and deception against anyone who is confused. You must settle in your heart and mind that the word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit, who told it to the writers of the bible originally. Second, you must get your understanding and revelation knowledge from the Holy Spirit, not some counsel of carnally minded men. Third, never compare the bible to the Qu-ran or any other religious book. The Qu-ran was given by an angel ( supposedly Gabriel ), who choked the prophet Muhammad into submission first, and then gave him what is known as the Qu-ran. Paul the apostle warned about angels giving a different gospel to us that what he preached in Galatians 1:6-9, so take that warning seriously. John 14:26 says; But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (American King James Version). Let the Holy Spirit eliminate all confusion, and receive the truth from Him concerning the bible, not anyone who says something from their reason and logic.

Assuming you believe in Christianity in the first place. If you don't, there is no Satan, Holy Spirit, angels -- at least not as described by the Bible. For those that follow the teachings of the Quran, Bible is wrong. For those that believe the Torah, The Quran is wrong. If you are unsure of your own beliefs, parts of each will make sense and can be followed.

crock of shit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities
Have you systematically researched each one of these before rejecting them, or did you just dismiss them out of hand as being "a crock of shit". Chances are though that you didn't know there were so many to choose from.

Did any of these 'gods' ever exist (or could have existed in your world view where gods can exist)?

Did such gods cease to exist when there was no one left to believe in them?
Or could they still exist and be thoroughly pissed off at the moment?
Will your god cease to exist when no one no longer believes in it?

Still think evolution is a myth - look at all those gods who emerged for a while, then went extinct. The end of your god is as inevitable as is was for all those others who no longer have any believers.

The only difference between you and me (an atheist) is that I stopped at ZERO gods, but you somehow stopped at ONE. Did you really choose your god, or was it handed down to you through parental indoctrination or peer pressure? Have you in fact even made a choice at this point? Who owns your mind?

One man's religion is another man's belly laugh. Increase the fun in your life by laughing at one more.

In the manner written, no. But even the Native Americans have a version of the flood in their history, so some version of a flood probably happened.

Interesting, I wonder if the original floods are those dating from the end of the last ice age ~10,000 yro -> as glacial dams break there are many large but localize floods, which could have given rise to the legend passed down and modified over the years.

PS citizenship has a legal definition and is acquired at birth, I would not consider a baby a "patriotic American" or Canadian as patriotism is also a set of beliefs which a newborn can't have yet.

There is more to a human being than just a brain, a mind, a heart, intelligence and so forth.. there is a Spirit. This Spiritual aspect of humanity is the most important because it is through it that we fellowship with God, Our Father. That's where The Bible and generally Christianity come in. These two work to awaken our otherwise dormant Spirits to God's Fatherhood thereby making us complete and whole beings. By complete and whole beings I mean a state where all the aspects of a human being are up and running the most important one being a person's Spirit.

The Knowledge of God is one of those things that you experience for yourself on a personal level. If you never ever get anything else out of this life except for a personal knowledge of God then you would have been fulfilled. If it so happened that the only thing you ever did with your life was to seek God and to know Him for yourself then you would have come out of this life satisfied. God can be found by those who dilligently seek Him, He can be found and He can be Known.

The Bible's principal audience is a person's Spirit and Heart, not a person's head or brain or mind. This is because the heart is the true determinant of who a person is. When you change someone's heart you have changed who they are. Studying The Bible is not like Studying Physics or Geommetry for which we engange intellect.. We only need to engage but our hearts and Spirits in order to understand who God is as revealed by The Bible. The Bible does indeed reveal who God is, what He likes, what He dislikes, the stuff that piss Him off and so forth, it is up to us to diligently search the pages of Scripture and know for ourselves this Heavenly Father that is ever portrayed as mysterious and distant yet these two attributes couldn't be farther from the truth about who God really is. God is real and that is a fact. If the only aspects to your life are your intelligence and your brain and your mind then you are yet to live.

There is more to a human being than just a brain, a mind, a heart, intelligence and so forth.. there is a Spirit.

God is real and that is a fact.

Sorry, but I have to say it: prove it.

A belief is not a fact without concrete evidence. All you can truthfully state is you believe there is a Spirit, and you believe God exists. The fact of God and Spirit cannot be proven. This does not mean they don't exist, it just means, at our current level of knowledge, their existence is not absolutely known.

You may 'know' they exist, but that is still a belief, not a fact.

@WaltP
The most obvious proof of God's existence is the fact that we ourselves exist. If you come across a building, that building has an architect who designed that particular building. It does not matter whether or not you know the architect's name or address or even his physique, an architect exists for that building simply because that building itself exist. We exist therefore God Our Creator and Our Heavenly Father exists! Human beings are not an orphan species, God Almighty is Our Father

That is not proof of existence. That is justification.

WaltP you are being stubborn :-(

@Percila
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
Your "argument" is basically
- all buildings have a designer
- therefore all things have a designer
- therefore humans must have been designed
- therefore god exists.

You might want to do a bit more research before just signing up to a forum so you can jump on the end of the nearest 'god' thread and give your minority (yes, that's right, pick any faith, and there are more people who don't believe it than do believe it) viewpoint speech. In particular, the rules of logical deduction would be a good starting point.

> That is justification.
It seems more like a "circular arguments are good because they are" kind of thing to me.

@WaltP
The most obvious proof of God's existence is the fact that we ourselves exist. If you come across a building, that building has an architect who designed that particular building.

And which meta-god do you believe in? And which meta-meta god? And so forth?
Clearly, if we accept your logic and stipulate the existence of "god", that immediately proves the existence of a creator for that being, and so forth. Your "proof" reminds me of Jonathan Swift's fleas.
Oddly enough, the only thing your argument would prove is that, in your view, if your god exists, he's not the ultimate, only the next step above us. He's not the King of Kings, or the Capo di tutti capo, he's just a village headman, at the bottom of an infinite hierarchy.
If you're going to propose a god to worship, this is sort of small beer - bring us the good one, why don't you, not this picayune twerp.

"There is more to a human being than just a brain, a mind, a heart, intelligence and so forth.. there is a [Hunger]. This [Hungry] aspect of humanity is the most important because it is through it that we fellowship with [The Flying Spaghetti Monster], Our [Feeder]. That's where The [Flying Spaghetti Monster Website] and generally [Pastafarianism] come in. These two work to awaken our otherwise dormant [Hunger] to [The Flying Spaghetti Monster]'s [Tastiness] thereby making us complete and whole beings. By complete and whole beings I mean a state where all the aspects of a human being are up and running the most important one being a person's [Hunger].

The Knowledge of [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] is one of those things that you experience for yourself on a personal level. If you never ever get anything else out of this life except for a personal knowledge of [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] then you would have been fulfilled. If it so happened that the only thing you ever did with your life was to seek [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] and to know Him for yourself then you would have come out of this life satisfied. [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] can be found"by those who diligently seek Him, He can be found and He can be Known.

The [Flying Spaghetti Monster Website]'s principal audience is a person's [Hunger] and [Love of Italian Food], not a person's head or brain or mind. This is because the [Love of Italian Food] is the true determinant of who a person is. When you change someone's [Love of Italian Food] you have changed who they are. Studying The [Flying Spaghetti Monster Website] is not like Studying Physics or Geometry for which we engage intellect.. We only need to engage but our [Love of Italian Food] and [Hunger] in order to understand who [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] is as revealed by The [Flying Spaghetti Monster Website]. The [Flying Spaghetti Monster Website] does indeed reveal who [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] is, what He likes, what He dislikes, the stuff that piss Him off and so forth, it is up to us to diligently search the pages of Scripture and know for ourselves this Heavenly [Food] that is ever portrayed as mysterious and distant yet these two attributes couldn't be farther from the truth about who [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] really is. [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] is real and that is a fact. If the only aspects to your life are your intelligence and your brain and your mind then you are yet to live."

Completely meaningless rhetoric and fluff, I can use the exact same words to support any deity even one that no body really believes in. Where is the evidence?

Snowflakes have a complex organization and structure and yet they will grow themselves without any external guidance under certain atmospheric conditions.

commented: "Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." George Carlin +0

Not true. A historian name Josephus did in fact write one (two) sentence on Jesus, showing he probably did exist.

Those 2 sentences are in dispute; various scholars point out various inconsistencies in the phrasing and the inclusions. It is most commonly thought that later translators changed the wording of the sentences to turn them into references to jc

And AFAIK, not one of the 4 'writers' ever met him. Their names were given to the gospels but had ho part in the actual writing. I believe the earliest gospel was written over 100 years after the death of Jesus.

The Gospel of John differs markedly from the other three books both in tone and in some historical details. John does not follow the timeline in the other three and adds quite a few stories and details not found in them. For this reason, it's thought that John's gospel was not a child of Q, but a completely original work either by someone who knew Jesus directly or by one of his associates. The three letters of John found near the end of the New Testament are generally assumed to have been written by this same individual.

The identity of John has remained a mystery, although tradition has it that he is "the disciple that Jesus loved" mentioned in John 13:23. But here is a curious thing. In the entire gospel, John never mentions his own name (although he does mention other gospel writers). His purpose is to exalt the deity of Jesus. It seems out of character for him to pat himself on the back in that one verse, if in fact he was John the apostle.

William Barclay gives us an elegant answer. He states outright that even if John was not the direct author of the book, it was at least written under his authority. The book likely dates from about 100 AD, the last of the books to be written. If this dating is accurate, John would have been very old. Barclay posits that it was probably a group writing remembrances from John's fading memories, and it was they who described John as the disciple Jesus loved..

This is from The Straight Dope. The reference to 'Q' is the possible earlier source that the other 3 authors quoted from.

First your claim is wright withe some corrections the bible is not false and it was written by the guidance of god ,humans just mad changes to it as they want....here are som answers if u can be satisfied:  

1- the bible was not  written by humans ,the bible was the book from god to jesses to guide his people to the right way, the way of light. People lessened to him and followed him but not all of them applied what they learned so by the time bing the stated to forget after his death,and here the people who delivered the massage to the rest of the cultures made some changes to suite that time or that situation thus by the time until know the bible most of it became the words of humans not more.from here you find contradictions,you know that contradiction comes if and only if more than one is involved.

2-if you looked outside your door or window u can see how beautiful god created every thing how he is organized and detailed ,how every thing is well calculated if you go deeper and deeper to science see how the molecule reacts and how god preserved the powerful power in this tiny molecule. You should know the answer your self that god is the creator. He is the perfect ( one of the   100 names he had) . Why the bible isn't perfect??!.
And about your friend, religious dose not affect who you are infect it makes you a better person.and god is fair u should believe that.

3- some of the events were proved by science and the others are has conflicts by know u should know why ,because it's the words of god but humane changed most..it's the humane after all you saw how the bower of the nucleons was played to form bomb.

4- bible and Quran are both books from god to different messengers which has the same purpose.the bible was given first to jesus and because it was changed by humans Quran was sent to mohammed .

If you need more clarity at any point I'm more than welcom.

commented: Bald, content-free assertions. +0
commented: Prove it! +0
commented: More meaningless claptrap - read some other books FFS +0

I must respectfully disagree that both the bible and Qu-ran are from God. The Qu-ran goes against what the bible says, both about Jesus and salvation, to name 2 differences. The Qu-ran NEVER says that we must be born again through the Lord Jesus Christ becoming our Lord and Savior, and the Qu-ran also never says Jesus is the Son of God. I don't believe the bible is imperfect, but perfect. The only so-called contradictions are usually given by non-Christians, or Christians who are using their natural mind to try and understand spiritual truth; which cannot be done. It takes spiritual understanding, given by revelation knowledge from the Holy Spirit, to understand the spiritual truths in the bible ( see 1 Corinthians 2:14 ). The bible was not changed by man; at least not the original. New translations are worded differently, and that wording does change the meaning. That is why I stick to the authorized KJV, and compare any other translation to it. The bible is perfectly clear about this; you must be born again to go to heaven, and only through Jesus can anyone be saved ( see John 3:16 ). We receive a new spirit when we are born again ( see 2 Corinthians 5:17 ), and everyone who is not a Christian is spiritually dead; and will not see God, nor go to heaven when they die. The Qu-ran could not have been written by God, but given by an angel impersonating the angel Gabriel( see Galatians 1:6-9 ). The teachings of the Qu-ran go against what the bible teaches, so God could not have inspired both books . The bible is the word of God; while the Qu-ran is the word of man.

commented: More BS +0

First your claim is wright withe some corrections

Who are you talking to? If it's me, then why are you contradicting me?

If you need more clarity at any point I'm more than welcom.

OK. Please clarify. I'll start with your first statement:

1- the bible was not  written by humans ,the bible was the book from god to jesses to guide his people to the right way, the way of light.

So who wrote it? Who put pen to paper and made the words?

Who's jesses?

What light? The sun? The moon? Stars? The oil lamp in the church tower?

I must respectfully disagree that both the bible and Qu-ran are from God. The Qu-ran goes against what the bible says.

with all respect i didnt read the bible and niether you im shure that you didnt read it.
you gust here some people talking..nevrmind my beleve that both jesus and mohammed are prophets they are massengers of god.saying that quran is wrriten by humean is just your
words.you said somthing about angels and the you said that its written by humean, for clarity "jabril" took the words of god to mohammed and mohammed says what he hears to his freinds and they write it dowen.i feel that you hate me but im not do you know somthing that we are orderd to treat all that beleive in god as sisters and brothers so
writing these words dosent mean that im aginset you but defensing my relegon.

thank you for understanding

Who are you talking to? If it's me, then why are you contradicting me?

OK. Please clarify. I'll start with your first statement:

So who wrote it? Who put pen to paper and made the words?

Who's jesses?

What light? The sun? The moon? Stars? The oil lamp in the church tower?

my post was a answer for the persone who wrote the subject "first person".
secondly i know you know what i mean but for "clarity " i mean who invented the
words...
actually in this world there are to roads you can take either to be a bad person
or to be a gppd person.
any thing in this life can be either a live or dead.
there is also light and there is dark so at the end of the world
we will go eithre to heaven or hell..."heaven " is what i mean by the way of light.

i hop i answerd your questions.

any thing in this life can be either a live or dead.

To completely derail the conversation what about a virus? is it alive or dead?

A virus by itself can't do anything it is just a speck of chemicals like a bit of dust. But put it in a living cell and it will hack the system and replicate itself a gazillion times just like life.

PS why is hell "dark" if it is burning with a thousand fires? that's a lot of light. And for that matter what is heaven "light" if it is up in space somewhere far away it is unlikely to be near a star so it would be dark and cold like outer space. In centuries go by outer space was referred to as "the heavens". so wouldn't the heaven be like them?

Member Avatar for diafol

Going to the OP. Why has this thread materialized here? Are DW users some metaphysical maestros that between us, we will reveal the secrets of the cosmos?

It's just the same old tired "It's crap", "God loves us all", "Allah [PBUH] is the one true God", interspersed with the odd bit of interesting observation. This however blends into the background after about 90 replies.

I say believe if you believe, don't if you don't. If you're not sure, why the hell not believe? Edge your bets, go to Church, sing your hymns, say your prayers before bedtime. Will it stop you getting a terminal illness, or stop your girlfriend from leaving you? Probably not, but at least you'll still have that superior feeling that comes with being part of a special gang. There's nothing like looking down your nose at people is there?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.