I am an aspiring programmer/developer, and I was wondering which direction would lead to more job opportunities(Not just more money, although in this recession we could all use some extra cash) I am learning C# and have mostly done Winforms desktop applications, should I be looking more towads ASP.Net??

Am planning on doing some Microsoft Certifications soon, and some good advice would be nice.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for stbuchok

Considering the line between desktop development and web development are becoming more and more blurred, I would say take a look at doing some ASP.Net development, but keep up with desktop as well. Making sure you know both is important. Also learn SQL, this is just as important as the main language you are using.

Learning C# is not just learning the syntax. After you get the basics learn more about .NET platform. If you know .NET and C# there is no such distinct thing as Asp.NET at all, it is just server side C# code .)

I think the best choice is to begin learing a lower level language like C++ or java, after you master those, you can easily go up to more higher languages. The other way around is not that easy

I think the best choice is to begin learing a lower level language like C++ or java, after you master those, you can easily go up to more higher languages. The other way around is not that easy

Lol, I love C++ (it was my first language), but I have a hard time telling anyone to learn C++ before anything else, because that takes f***ing forever. "Learning curve" really means "more time spent doing nothing." It may take him the next 3 years to learn C++ as his first language, so you can understand my concern about someone on a programming forum dictating 3 years of time.

My best advice if you decide to take that route is to learn other programming languages as well. I would actually recommend the book "Learning Visual C++ 2010" by Ivor Horton, it teaches C++, C++/CLI, and using Visual Studio. C++/CLI is a managed language that uses the .NET framework, and as such makes your transition to learning to use any of the .NET languages much easiesr.

Java and other languages are still big contenders these days too, but here's a big tip:
"Don't invest too much time in a language that won't be used 3 years from now."

I am an aspiring programmer/developer, and I was wondering which direction would lead to more job opportunities(Not just more money, although in this recession we could all use some extra cash) I am learning C# and have mostly done Winforms desktop applications, should I be looking more towads ASP.Net??

There are tons of job opportunities for programmers in every language and every field. There's no reason not to go for what you enjoy most (assuming you are actually capable of programming).

Am planning on doing some Microsoft Certifications soon, and some good advice would be nice.

Don't get a certification. They are a black mark on the resume.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.