Do you use a joystick/gamepad(or whatever else) for gaming purposes?
Or do you use the traditional Mouse + Keyboard combo for playing games?

My Personal opinion:

Mouse + Keyboard. Reasons:

1)The mouse is much more sensitive and flexible, and then again, some games don't support a joystick.
2)I'm still unfamiliar with my joystick controls, so I often find getting my character killed while playing games, specially fps.:D

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Yeah it has to be the mousepad and keyboard.. Which is why I hate the xbox or nintendo wii so much.

I use both. For laptop gaming i use mouse and keyboard, for xbox i use the controller. Sometimes i use my hand when playing kinect. :)

Oops! Voted for Joystick/Gamepad by mistake!:P
Whatever, one vote doesn't count for much.

I use both. For laptop gaming i use mouse and keyboard, for xbox i use the controller. Sometimes i use my hand when playing kinect. :)

Me too! (Although I use Mouse+Keyboard MUCH more than the joystick)
The only game that I use my gamepad for is Need for Speed.
But, no motion/gesture control for me, I'm too lazy to sit up and move my body or whatever to play games:D

{
case PC gaming:
If the game supports my xbox 360 controller, I normally will use it.
else,
keyboard and mouse.

case console gaming:
not much choice
}

Recently I opted to upgrade my mouse & keyboard setup with a gameboard, it will arrive tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

My gameboard of choice is a Logitech G13,
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123

I expect the gameboard to have superior comfort and key-accessibility. I noticed using WASD some space on the left is wasted, I tried switching to an ESDF setup but was not as successful as I had hoped.

I'm literally staying awake at night checking the tracking info. out of excitement :D

Anyone using a Razor Mouse? I am using a logitech one. I don't really see a point in paying more for a mouse unless you are a hardcore gamer. lol

Anyone using a Razor Mouse? I am using a logitech one. I don't really see a point in paying more for a mouse unless you are a hardcore gamer. lol

I'm using a logitech mouse too :)

I totally agree with pseudorandom21 about PC gaming - the console games may seem great, but the PC is the big daddy of 'em all, probably because PCs have a LOT better hardware than consoles. (I'm not saying that consoles are lame)

I gotta say mouse and keyboard. I've been using them for so long that I can't even play any of the newer video games. It just feels so natural to have a mouse and keyboard over a controller covered in buttons in odd places.

Maybe Pc have a longer history than game console thus tehy are more respected by people.:D

Hey this G13 gameboard is really pretty sweet, if you can justify the price by your thirst for frags.

He he, visiting this page after a long time...

Hey! No more replies!
Awww, come on, don't let this thread die!:(

Well if the precision of the mouse isn't necessary then I use a gamepad. Basically the only time the gamepad annoys me is when I need to make a slight, like one or two pixel adjustment and can't get it right (sniping). Gamepad definitely not recommended for FPS games, but I just don't know what I would do without my xbox360 controller for dead space, mirror's edge, and sometimes crysis, and fallout new vegas.

Not to get too entirely off-topic, but Crysis 2 is amazing.

Well, well...
Seems like the discussion seems to be going out of balance, as everyone's just praising the mouse+keyboard only:).
So to balance everything, I would like to say that joysticks/controllers have a really great advantage - Force FeedBack, and Motion Control(I think the dual shock 3 one has it).

heres your balance. gamepads or joy/throt combos rock for platformers, beat em' ups, fighting games, flight games or even fps in the case of compact or mobile gaming like the upcoming next gen psp. so i still keep my fps thumb skill primed.

but mouse/keyboard rock fps and vtol games like nothin else. i game on a ps3 for economic reasons. but i have a 3rd party mouse for when i need to put down the pad and start kickin butt.

both have there ups and downs, but i would not give up one for the other. unless we are talking about the new psp... thats different...

Mouse and keyboard si the way to go.

I mean I 'program' my web pages in Notepad, repair my broken project using the same and reapir broken documents using some Hex editor.

There should not be any extra layers between the gamer and the machine.

Unless they finally make a direct computer-brain interface 'a la' Matrix.

Shooters and joypad? Can't combine them at all.

^ Yeah, even the auto-aim feature in some games doesn't help me at all!

You have to admit though, it's a lot easier to lay in bed and use a gamepad.

Mainly my keyboard. Don't have much time for gaming external devices.

I don't have enough coordination / reflexes to use the keyboard and mouse :D. I picked up a usb adapter allowing me to use my playstation controller, which made all the difference. For the games that don't support it natively, I use xpadder.

For me the best thing to use in gaming is joystick because if you use keyboard it is case sensitive. Joystick is also much more comfortable in gaming and easy. thanks for sharing

"G13 gameboard" what is this?Please give me some ideas...thnaks

A good mouse (as in, good ergonomics) is vital for those working with computers for long periods. It can prevent or at least delay the onset of repetitive strain injuries related to mouse use, which is more precious than spending an extra 50 or even 100 Euro on your input devices.

Which is why I at work have a 100 Euro touchpad and a 200 Euro keyboard, at home using a 100 Euro mouse and 80 Euro keyboard.
That they're great for gaming as well is a nice side effect, not the primary purpose I have them.

And for flight simulators, a 300 Euro joystick and some 1000 Euro in other hardware :)

=D I'm glad someone enjoys quality input devices @jwenting.

I'm rocking...
Logitech G500 mouse
Logitech K350 keyboard (has a nice leather padded wrist-rest too)
Logitech G13 (previously discussed)
Microsoft Xbox 360 controller
Rii mini wireless keyboard (has a touchpad and decent lighted keyboard, very useful for netflix)

quality pays for itself, and I'd rather spend a bit now than have to survive on a disability pension in a few years...

I used to enjoy NFS games with the my gamepad's analog sticks, but recently i find keyboard controls better and easier.
Looks like I've lost interest in playing with game controllers.(Don't know about the steering wheel controller, never played with it)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.