Hello Sisters and Brothers from Daniweb (The greatest Devshed forum out there, hell yeah!)

Last month, I was thinking about quitting my Facebook.... I've been a member since 2008 and was really enjoying it. But lately, I discovered that it already affects my life. A lot.

I realize that as a Web Developer, it has really affected my productivity and my self progress and development as a programmer. But it's too late, I was already poisoned by this social networking and now I'm trying to cure myself... by QUITTING FACEBOOK

My life revolves around Facebook. There are lots of weeks that I just facebook all the way... and do nothing.

...and then one day, I stumbled upon a blog of a developer, and I saw the comment box where one visitor was saying "Why aren't you going online in IRC?" and the owner of the blog said "It's poisoning my work as a developer. I was afraid that it could really affect my development"

Damn he's right... He is really really right...

I could've gotten better... I could've improved myself... I could've gotten alot of project and already finished it.

I also realized that as a developer, our laboratory is our computer like any other laboratories out there. In fact, when you go to the laboratory, you just do your experiment. And there is no other thing you can do. When you are a doctor, you only go to the hospital and deal with the patients. And there is no other thing you should be doing there. EXCEPT if you put some disturbances, like Facebook.

Now imagine that in our place?

I also know some freaking good developers like Richard Stallman that never use web services like Facebook. And some good Dani Gurus here like ardav and evstevemd. (I bet you don't use facebook don't you guys? :D )

and Yes,

"The Greatest irony of being a Web Developer, is when you create those websites, but you're the least person using it."

Please don't get me wrong (I'm not against Facebook) but as a developer, we should avoid things that can distract us in our development.

Yes it's hard... really hard to ditch Facebook... I got 1000+ friends in Facebook (not to mention the *EHEM* sexy friends I got with their countless sexy pictures...)

But I love programming so much and I don't want my life to be ruined by facebook...

I hope this story helps other developers too (specially the Junior Developers)

Just remember, our computer is our laboratory. We should respect our work because its our passion to CREATE. We only have limited time here so don't waste it all up in Facebook.

ddanbe commented: Well said +0
Ancient Dragon commented: You could be an author :) +0

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Hah Guru - haven't been called that before! :)

I hate FB, with a vengeance. I dislike most social networking apps. However, I do have FB and twit accounts. Haven't posted anything within the last month and a half though. Who the hell wants to know if I stubbed my toe while walking upstairs? Do I really care what anybody else thinks about some random event in the day? No.

I may quit DW as that takes up a lot of my time when I could be doing more productive things. Nice idea Brit. I'm gonna take a break from DW and see if I can kick the habit.

Programming for me is a hobby, I don't make much money out of it. I think I'm gonna start concentrating on producing free chemistry videos.

See ya folks. :)

//EDIT

Perhaps I'll stick around until I hit 5000 posts or break into the top 10 solved posts, whichever comes first, probably the former.

Hah Guru - haven't been called that before! :)

I hate FB, with a vengeance. I dislike most social networking apps. However, I do have FB and twit accounts. Haven't posted anything within the last month and a half though. Who the hell wants to know if I stubbed my toe while walking upstairs? Do I really care what anybody else thinks about some random event in the day? No.

I may quit DW as that takes up a lot of my time when I could be doing more productive things. Nice idea Brit. I'm gonna take a break from DW and see if I can kick the habit.

Programming for me is a hobby, I don't make much money out of it. I think I'm gonna start concentrating on producing free chemistry videos.

See ya folks. :)

//EDIT

Perhaps I'll stick around until I hit 5000 posts or break into the top 10 solved posts, whichever comes first, probably the former.

DUDE I didn't mean DW!! (Oh God Dani will get mad at me!) Atleast in DW you help people so they can be productive! Unlike Facebook (with vengeance) which only teaches us how to procrastinate professionally.

Oh come on we need you here at DW!! :( HOW CAN I SOLVE SOME HARDCORE PROBLEMS IN PHP WITHOUT YOU???

Second Life is already dead, others to follow I guess. Count me in.

Member Avatar for diafol

Sod it, I'm off. :)

Oh noes.... I'm dead for sure..... :(

I have a FB account, and twitter too, but rarely use them. But I see your point about labs. I'm a PT WalMart cashier and I could imagine what would happen if I brought a laptop to the register and was on FB all the time. When a customer comes to my register to check out I'll tell him "You'll just have to wait a few minutes because I'm writing something on Facebook". FIRED!

When a customer comes to my register to check out I'll tell him "You'll just have to wait a few minutes because I'm writing something on Facebook". FIRED!

HAHAHA Good one! :P

you are right, but i think you are facebook addict. I my self dont get time to log on facebook, but i am more interested in other things than facebook . That is why facebook never affects my life.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Addiction manifests itself it so many new ways today than it has ever done before.

That is without saying... I mean it is so easy for your average person to become lost, literally, with their online personality.

Now what is the solution? Ban yourself from Facebook... Quit using the internet?

Sure it might help in the short term but does NOTHING to address the problem. In the end, as long as your habits remain the same you will always end up DOING the same. We are, after all, creatures of habit.

There's nothing wrong with Facebook, or any other social network site. It helps to stay in touch with old friends, even meet new ones. What the OP needs to address here, is their habits.

Now without a structured plan, habits tend to remain the same. But with a plan, you can address the areas of your life that are in need of help. So instead of blanket banning yourself from using Facebook, create goals in your everyday diary... and ABSOLUTELY stick to them.

Your see the winners in life are those that can stick to their goals. Any knuckle-head can aimlessly wander through life without any goals. And it's these idiots who create 'one time extreme fixes'- such as blanket banning themselves from Facebook, without any plan or strategy... What tends to happen is they just end up filling that void with another addiction.

commented: What a Godly wisdom :) +0

Don't think I'm ever on Facebook long enough to effect much else.

Now YouTube and Reddit...

commented: Same goes for me and youtube. +0

Well, in my opinion, as long as you don't get addicted to it and keep switching to Facebook when you're developing stuff, it should be fine. I don't use Facebook often, only when I'm really very bored lol. I do have an account in Google+ though, which I use to communicate with some random Ubuntu developers and journalists. So far so good, none of the social network sites are affecting my studies. :)

Spending less time on Facebook and more time on Daniweb:)

Addiction manifests itself it so many new ways today than it has ever done before.
Now without a structured plan, habits tend to remain the same. But with a plan, you can address the areas of your life that are in need of help. So instead of blanket banning yourself from using Facebook, create goals in your everyday diary... and ABSOLUTELY stick to them.

Your see the winners in life are those that can stick to their goals. Any knuckle-head can aimlessly wander through life without any goals. And it's these idiots who create 'one time extreme fixes'- such as blanket banning themselves from Facebook, without any plan or strategy... What tends to happen is they just end up filling that void with another addiction.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

Thank you for your Wisdom :)

When a customer comes to my register to check out I'll tell him "You'll just have to wait a few minutes because I'm writing something on Facebook". FIRED!

lots of them seem to do just that using their cellphones... Fewer lines open at supermarkets than ever before, less staff walking around keeping shelves stocked, more of them huddling in corners near the back or around the free coffee machine (including the supervisors, who're often just a few months older than the junior staff).

It might appear to be that way, but employees are allowed breaks once in awhile and that may be what you have observed. We have a break room in the back of the building where customers can't see us lounging around. And yes there are a lot fewer employees now than there was 2 years ago which makes for some occasional long lines at the checkout registers. No employee at WalMart would keep his/her job very long if caught using a cell phone while working.

Wow, you are such an inspiration, lolz :D

Don't think I'm ever on Facebook long enough to effect much else.

Now YouTube and Reddit...

Reddit is my ultimate downfall. There's only so many new comments on facebook in a day, but reddit... there's always something new, always something to waste more of your time. Even when I'm really busy, I'll be like "I'll just click one link, one link won't hurt". Next thing you know it's been 3 hours and you haven't done any work at all. I need my reddit account to shut down after 45 minutes of browsing a day.

It helps to stay in touch with old friends

Yes it always is nice to know something of old friends. Last year one of my school mates found it more pleasant to trow himself in front of a train...(He was a well respected gynecologist)
Some old friends I know are still visiting me, the ones that don't, they are in my memory, I do not like to know what has happened to them.
I also hate school reunions. So no FaceBook for me.
I also could have twittered that I had a nice cup of tea and a nice pee afterwards.
Tell me, who in the world would be interested in that!

Spending less time on Facebook and more time on Daniweb:)

thats true.:)

I don't even like using facebook, I get online to see if I have any messages, if not I just close the window.

I guess I just have no friends ;)

It might appear to be that way, but employees are allowed breaks once in awhile and that may be what you have observed.

90% of employees "taking a break" at any time? Nothing wrong with the occasional break, it's a good thing (and allows you to use the bathroom, drink something, etc.) but most the entire staff being occupied with non-work-related stuff near constantly?

If you're standing in line at checkout (where there's 1 open line and 10+ closed ones) only to see half a dozen employees standing around doing nothing but using their cellphones isn't good for the public image of the company.

Just watched a South Park Episode about Facebook, it was hilarious :) Here is the link. Personally I have a facebook account but never visited it. I played farmville at my mom's account xD before and all her friends were inviting me to there farms, then I put up a sign to not trespass and I will not visit there farms so they got mad.

I don't even like using facebook, I get online to see if I have any messages, if not I just close the window.

I guess I just have no friends ;)

Well you got friends here! :P

I'm quitting-ish it as well. I disabled viewing my profile by everyone except me. THe only reason I use FB is to see how my friends are doing, and occasionally talk to few of them.

Just watched a South Park Episode about Facebook, it was hilarious :) Here is the link. Personally I have a facebook account but never visited it. I played farmville at my mom's account xD before and all her friends were inviting me to there farms, then I put up a sign to not trespass and I will not visit there farms so they got mad.

I'd stick with the official site: http://www.southparkstudios.com/

I'd stick with the official site: http://www.southparkstudios.com/

I just noticed you can watch episodes there too, but I was using x-episodes for a long time and I am used to it.

Facebook is hell. Funny enough, am not sure the owner(name withheld cos we all know him). its a bad distraction and no one really wants to know if you stumbled on a block. so y waste your bloody time on it.

I think it's a matter of discipline. As of me, I only got addicted at the start and when I get used to it, the addiction was gone. It is me, I easily got bored at one thing when I am too familiar with it so it's not my problem.

Hello Sisters and Brothers from Daniweb (The greatest Devshed forum out there, hell yeah!)

Last month, I was thinking about quitting my Facebook.... I've been a member since 2008 and was really enjoying it. But lately, I discovered that it already affects my life. A lot.

I realize that as a Web Developer, it has really affected my productivity and my self progress and development as a programmer. But it's too late, I was already poisoned by this social networking and now I'm trying to cure myself... by QUITTING FACEBOOK

My life revolves around Facebook. There are lots of weeks that I just facebook all the way... and do nothing.

...and then one day, I stumbled upon a blog of a developer, and I saw the comment box where one visitor was saying "Why aren't you going online in IRC?" and the owner of the blog said "It's poisoning my work as a developer. I was afraid that it could really affect my development"

Damn he's right... He is really really right...

I could've gotten better... I could've improved myself... I could've gotten alot of project and already finished it.

I also realized that as a developer, our laboratory is our computer like any other laboratories out there. In fact, when you go to the laboratory, you just do your experiment. And there is no other thing you can do. When you are a doctor, you only go to the hospital and deal with the patients. And there is no other thing you should be doing there. EXCEPT if you put some disturbances, like Facebook.

Now imagine that in our place?

I also know some freaking good developers like Richard Stallman that never use web services like Facebook. And some good Dani Gurus here like ardav and evstevemd. (I bet you don't use facebook don't you guys? :D )

and Yes,

"The Greatest irony of being a Web Developer, is when you create those websites, but you're the least person using it."

Please don't get me wrong (I'm not against Facebook) but as a developer, we should avoid things that can distract us in our development.

Yes it's hard... really hard to ditch Facebook... I got 1000+ friends in Facebook (not to mention the *EHEM* sexy friends I got with their countless sexy pictures...)

But I love programming so much and I don't want my life to be ruined by facebook...

I hope this story helps other developers too (specially the Junior Developers)

Just remember, our computer is our laboratory. We should respect our work because its our passion to CREATE. We only have limited time here so don't waste it all up in Facebook.

Some of these a re built for purpose and am sure it was never the purpose of any of the authors to take complete control of anyone's life and if it was, they is not achievable. We control our own time and as such, control our destiny. It depends on the individual

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.