It's snowing a little bit here today, just enough to make the ground white and clean looking.

It's snowing a bit (probably about 5cm by the end of the day), and it's pretty cold, about -20 C (about -5 F), but it feels much colder with the high winds and high humidity.

-24C with a wind chill of -31C. It's warmer now than it's been for the last few days.

It is warm temperature atm, California has some interesting weathers...

You are in California? Where it is warm? You suck!

Actually, given a choice of extremes (hot or cold) I prefer the cold. I spent two weeks in Phoenix (actually Tempe, but that's splitting hairs) in August several years back. It was +47C or hotter the entire time I was there. That's 116F for you Yanks. It was like taking a brick to the face every time I stepped outside. And things in the car kept melting. You can always throw on another sweater or light a fire in the cold. Can't do much about the heat except bitch and sweat.

commented: Agreeable +0

@Reverend Jim,

You are in California? Where it is warm? You suck!

All of southern california is warm (in any season). But my preference is the cold temperatures rather than the warm.

You can always throw on another sweater or light a fire in the cold. Can't do much about the heat except bitch and sweat.

You can always turn on the cooler in your house or go swimming :) but I agree with you lol.

The weather her is a bit chilly in the mornings, but after the sun rises the weather becomes a bit warmer.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

It's snowing a bit (probably about 5cm by the end of the day), and it's pretty cold, about -20 C (about -5 F), but it feels much colder with the high winds and high humidity.
-24C with a wind chill of -31C. It's warmer now than it's been for the last few days.

I don't know anyone from Canada but that is really cold!

I know both you from Canada but how do you keep yourself warm?

It's expensive having the heater turn on 24/7.

I know one weird strategy people have is that they eat oranges and are always moving around.

I know one weird strategy people have is that they eat oranges and are always moving around.

It's a weird question that you said. Does that stratgey keep people warm or just exercise?

I prefer the change of seasons. Makes you appreciate both. Here in Manitoba in the winter, except when it gets below -18C we like to cross country ski. During mosquito season (June through September) we go to the cottage at the lake (got about 450 feet of really nice private lake-front). Actually, the mosquitoes stay in Manitoba. The cottage is in Ontario. Spring and fall are gorgeous.

I prefer the change of seasons. Makes you appreciate both. Here in Manitoba in the winter, except when it gets below -18C we like to cross country ski. During mosquito season (June through September) we go to the cottage at the lake (got about 450 feet of really nice private lake-front). Actually, the mosquitoes stay in Manitoba. The cottage is in Ontario. Spring and fall are gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing! It's a very nice detail how the season changes up in Canada. -18C it's still very cold!

@LastMitch,

It's a weird question that you said. Does that stratgey keep people warm or just exercise?

It does both. When you exercise or at least keep moving around, your body warms up. Plus oranges are known to keep people warm.

It does both. When you exercise or at least keep moving around, your body warms up. Plus oranges are known to keep people warm.

It's really cold. It's like 13 degree now. I was drinking hot green tea before and now I can't sleep. Really awful.

At least the cold is better at keeping one awake during the morning.

I don't know anyone from Canada but that is really cold!

I know both you from Canada but how do you keep yourself warm?

It's expensive having the heater turn on 24/7.

There's a thing called insulation. Walls generally have several layers of insulation (for heat and humidity), windows (and sometimes doors too) are always doubled to leave an insulating layer of air trapped in between. Heating is most often electric (which is cheap here), and only about doubles the electric bill (peak of summer vs. peak of winter). Good insulation is also really nice in the summer, it keeps the house / apartment fresh, as long as you control how much sunlight gets in during the day. Here, insulation is a necessity for winter, but you guys down south should also start getting up to speed on that to save you on your air-conditioning bills in the summer. Although, here in Quebec, we are quite alright with americans down south wasting tons of electricity on air-conditioning their paper-thin houses, because you buy that electricity from us! (well, some of it)

As for being outside, well, you wear several layers, a good coat, a tuque, a scarf, gloves, and a good pair of boots. And yeah, you keep moving, whether you're just walking fast to wherever you're going, or you're just having fun in the snow (sport, activity, whatever). If you have to wait around in the cold (for a bus or something), you just relax and try to keep yourself from shaking too much. And, if you're lost in the woods or something, you build yourself an igloo (or more like a quinzee or snow-cave).

I know one weird strategy people have is that they eat oranges

The "oranges in winter" thing mostly comes from the older days (like those of my parents) where fruits from the south (like oranges) were a luxury that most people couldn't afford, so, during Xmas time, the charities would bring in trucks full of oranges to donate to the poor (who could certainly use the extra vitamin C). It became a treat associated with the holidays (my mother used to say that while growing up, for her, Xmas was that time of year when you got to eat oranges, that weird and delicious fruit from Florida), and still today, the sales of oranges go way up during the holidays and for a little while after that, mostly by tradition. But it has nothing to do with keeping warm in winter, but it does keep you healthy! But drinking alcohol on the other hand (although unhealthy) certainly keeps you warm, that's not a myth.

Well, when it gets hot in Southern California, people like me who live near the coast get a nice breeze to cool everyone. Even though it gets hot here, no one complains because of the breeze that comes around.

Yes, I agree... Alcohol does get you warm but it also gets you arrested quite often ;). Oranges do keep you warm, just try a few when you are cold :).

But drinking alcohol on the other hand (although unhealthy) certainly keeps you warm, that's not a myth.

Alcohol dilates the blood vessels. It may make you feel warmer but the net effect is actually to make your body lose heat faster.

There's a thing called insulation. Walls generally have several layers of insulation (for heat and humidity), windows (and sometimes doors too) are always doubled to leave an insulating layer of air trapped in between.

Yes, I did put insulation. I already revamp my house couple years ago during the summer. I broke down the drywall and I put new fabric glass insulation. I used gas as a heating and I wish it was electric but my heater runs on gas.

Alcohol does get you warm but it also gets you arrested quite often

Like what mike_2000_17 mention it's not good to your health.

The link that Reverend Jim provided sums up the reason why you feel warmer when drinking alcohol but it actually to make your body lose heat faster.

I thought MythBusters was cancel a few years ago. I can't believe the show been on so long.

The mythbusters are awesome!... but what does that have to do with anything (unless they did an expirement with alcohol...)?

Links, which appear in underlined blue letters, can be clicked on and they will lead you to another web-page. I suggest you give it a try:
From Reverend Jim's earlier post:

Alcohol dilates the blood vessels. It may make you feel warmer but the net effect is actually to make your body lose heat faster.

commented: I should've read it :) +0

It's like if you take all your money out of the bank and start spending it. You might feel rich but in fact you are rapidly getting poorer.

OK. So I suck at analogies.

commented: No, it was pretty good +0

I found this, incase you guys are looking for different ways to keep your home's warm.

Fixing a house cost money & time. It's not like doing this over night and it will be solve.

The mythbusters are awesome!

You should watch more!

You should watch more!

Of course I watch more and more of Mythbusters.

An odd one for the Mojave Desert, 68F (20C) and raining.

It was drizzling where i live today...

It's like if you take all your money out of the bank and start spending it. You might feel rich but in fact you are rapidly getting poorer.

Is that along the lines of: it gives you that warming you get after wetting youself that ultimately turns into a wet smelly mess?

Is that along the lines of: it gives you that warming you get after wetting youself that ultimately turns into a wet smelly mess?

Maybe not quite where I was heading but sure. Either way you are losing precious body heat.

It's snowing here too, but it's kinda warm for a winter day (only -2C). Snow is already around 10 cm high. Who knows, maybe I'll go snowboarding this weekend.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.