1st world countries (developed), no second world but the poor ones are called third world countries.
Why?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

AFAIK, it comes from the Cold War times. Then there were superpowers (USA and USSR), developed countries, and the third world.

US and NATO countries were the first world, communism/Soviet Union was the second world, and the non-aligned countries were the third world. The first and second worlds would fight over the third worlds.

and the non-aligned countries were the third world

The non-aligned or the non-existing because many of the countries grouped in the third world never existed during the soviet

You are, of course, referring to the few countries that have torn themselves loose from the old USSR. The whole of South America, Africa, and Asia with their assorted countries were the 3rd world. The UN has 193 member states - of them, about 173 were considered 3rd world. The actual count depends on when during the cold war you want to count the countries and how you count them (are n/s Korea and N/S VIET NAM 2 OR 4 countries).

Grim Jack, you seem to be talking from so much knowledge. I think you would be better in journalism....lol
Can i have an article to read up. I love history and historic movies

Go to your local used book store and pick up a copy of Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States - don't try to read it in one sitting, just keep it around and when something comes up, take a look at a 'different' point of view.

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore-

And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over-
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Langston Hughes

Thanks alot, would check that. I really love e-books so i dont know if i can be provided with a link

I would bet that your local library would have it in electronic form.

commented: got it online already u're the best +0

Got some reading to do. Thanks GrimJack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.