There are so many hosts out there, and I'm kind of tired using Google cause when I search for the most reliable and all that it doesn’t actually show you posts abut people recommending them, it actually shows you hosting sites that say they are good.

So, with that said, what are some good hosts for someone who need MySQL and PHP services and has a few people who need access to upload the data.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Or to ask a more appropriate question, "Do you have any links to reputable sites that review hosting companies?"

commented: Good Reply. +0
Member Avatar for iamthwee

^^ Indeed, ask questions the smart way.

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Just of the bat, two I would recommend, for good value, well at least from my experience...

Lunar pages and 123 reg.

But my advice would be to do your research. It may also be different in terms of cost ...for example, if you buy a domain of an American hosting site and you live in Europe, the phone call for support... if you need it will be higher.

But, ordinarily if you are well versed with web technologies most issues you can solve by yourself. It's just a case of taking regular backups of your data should a disaster occur.

Most common issues I've encountered have been folders being set with the wrong permissions and being unable to write data to it. Being that most PHP+MYSQL+APACHE configurations reside on linux based servers, it takes a little getting used to the permission structure... And this include the .htaccess files as well.

bluehost.com works great. unlimited storage and bandwidth for $5 per month. They also have really good management tools.

There are so many hosts out there, and I'm kind of tired using Google cause when I search for the most reliable and all that it doesn’t actually show you posts abut people recommending them, it actually shows you hosting sites that say they are good.

You may want to do that, why wait for Google?

You can try hostgator.com

It helps if you decide what your priority is. There are many web hosts that do a good job but they aren't all exactly the same. I've been using ICDSoft for many years and I'm very happy with them. If you were to compare them with some of the other web hosts you would find that many others offer "unlimited" databases, "unlimited" bandwidth and so forth. ICDSoft doesn't. They offer a good package managed very professionally and backed up by excellent service. Some people have said in past discussions on this topic that they require unlimited databases so they wouldn't use ICDSoft. In that case they should use someone else. There can be a lot of smoke and mirrors involved in the "unlimited" term so if that is important to you, it's best to look a little deeper because there are usually some limits whether they publish them or not.

Getting a recommendation as you are trying to do can be a good way to get a short list. If your needs are simple, then you might be satisfied with any of the companies on the list. If you are going to push the limits, then it's worthwhile to do some extra research first.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.