Java seems to be a parasite that lives inside other things I maybe use.
It thrives on the ubiquitous scare tactic "Load my latest version or you will be even LESS protected than now"

I have read the entire Java "help site". Not a word there about WHY I should want anything to do with it - let alone fill my computer with its monthly "updates"

I use M$ as little as possible (XP being the least bad version so far) and do my programming in QB64

If Java in fact did anything I wanted it to do for me in the last month, is there a list of what it did?

Sorry to be so ignorant. It is like the "Emperor's New Clothes". Nobody dares to say all Java does is makes money.

If I deleted all of Java, how would I suffer?

Many Thanks
Esdel

If I erased everything Jave, how would I suffer?kkkkkkkkk

sergent commented: Totaly agree +0

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

If you have no programs written in Java then you don't need Java. If you have any programs written in Java (of which there are many) then you need a Java Runtime Environment, and it's best to have one with the latest security fixes.

Thanks James

So if I have any progs writ in Jave what extension might they have or how can I list them or recognise them?

Many java programs are distributed in .jar files.
Installing a JRE should set your OS to call the java program when you try to open a jar file.

Many Thanks Norm

I did a file search for .jar

I have 50 files
30 of them are used by Wolfram/MP7
of thoe 30 the worst msmory-occupiers are
48 MB for rt.jar
12 MB for tools.jar

I see also in Javs/jre/lib another rt.jar is included (now 43 MB)

What does Java do for the Wolfram files? Just speed them up?
Can Wolfrom MP run without Java?

What is REQUIRED to run the Wolfram .jar files other that what is there in that folder

Do I really need TWO copies (48 + 43 MB) of rt.jar?

Should I delete Java using the control panel or should I shove the .jar files one by one into the recycle bin and see what stops working.

Should I delete Java using the control panel or should I shove the .jar files one by one into the recycle bin and see what stops working.

Which ever you want to do, it's up to you.

Java seems to be a parasite that lives inside other things I maybe use.
It thrives on the ubiquitous scare tactic "Load my latest version or you will be even LESS protected than now"

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Sounding like a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

If Sun never patched security holes, then applications that send sensitive information(such as banking info) would be at risk through exploits.

If you really don't use Java for anything, like gaming or development tools, then whatever; Delete it.

No real programs are made in Java, so you don't really need it. Only several small once, written by people who don't know C++. Java is for beginners, and I have only 1 Java program on my computer. And I don't see much Java programs online.

commented: no +0
commented: Ignorant fool, you have no clue how many applications are run by Java. +0
commented: tsk tsk +0

No real programs are made in Java

Openoffice, Eclipse etc....

commented: OpenOffice is written in c++ +0

Openoffice, Eclipse etc....

The animated maths Players of Wolfram use Java
30 files and more than 70 MB

Is this just so these animations run faster?

The biggest of these .jar files is rt.jar and is in the Wolfram file at 48 MB and is then
REPEATED at 43 MB in Java/jre/lib
Can I assume everything that Wolfram requires is in the Wolfrom file and I can delete all .jar files not in that folder? There are 20 of them, nearly all in folder Java/jre/lib

Many thanks

you don't really need it most of the time, but sometimes you will
encounter some web pages that might need it, if you remove it
you might need to re install it again. so, be prepared ( to see
"java plugin missing" ) not to access
those sites that might need it.
there's so much pain trying to install and uninstall something
specially when you have slow internet connection.

Thanks ru60Hz

That sounds like a good way to handle it and save 60 Mb of space)

Java is for beginners.

Woow dude, what programming language do you use then?

Woow dude, what programming language do you use then?

Do not expect to much from him, 1/3 of total post are in Geek's Lounge, another 1/3 in C++ where he either advice to use code tags or telling people that he doesn't understand what they want to do and doesn't do their homework. Lastly, he is only 14 so tendency to provide "over kill" (stupid) statement is high

Do not expect to much from him, 1/3 of total post are in Geek's Lounge, another 1/3 in C++ where he either advice to use code tags or telling people that he doesn't understand what they want to do and doesn't do their homework. Lastly, he is only 14 so tendency to provide "over kill" (stupid) statement is high

Oh... I see... Sorry for that mate

@MooGeek you have nothing to apology for, it is sergent who should admit his mistake and ignorance

@MooGeek you have nothing to apology for, it is sergent who should admit his mistake and ignorance

Well I was just being nice :)

@Sergent: Brother, please don't be offended but please respect other's languages. It's more like discriminating or being a racist. Never under estimate a Programming language. Every language has its own special ability like for example:

Javascript vs VBScript

Hell yeah we know Javascript is invisible. It has lots of cool frameworks and is waaay beyond VBScript. But VBscript was used in an exploit in IE6. Letting an executable program to be downloaded and executed and used as a WORM. Thus we know VBScript is close to its death. It still has its special ability though that kind of ability is not what we expected.

Learn from others opinion. This is why I love daniweb :)

No real programs are made in Java, so you don't really need it. Only several small once, written by people who don't know C++. Java is for beginners, and I have only 1 Java program on my computer. And I don't see much Java programs online.

In response to the negative rep you gave me, i just want to reiterate that OpenOffice *was* written usin Java. Not all of it (yes, there is c++), but significant parts are. Hence why the download comes bundled with a JDK...

Nearly all the wizards, PDF functions, virtually all data connectivity, export filters, mostt extensions are in Java. Also, all the interal data is stored in a Java database (HSQLDB)

in fact the only stuff not written in Java is platform specific stuff that requires JNI.

I wonder what the kid calls "real programs", given the fact that worldwide several million people build and maintain business critical applications using Java every day, applications running multinational corporations with revenue in access to that of many countries, handling the production, transport, and administration of billions upon billions of dollars worth of goods and resources every minute.

But indeed, you won't see many highstreet stores selling games that tout a Java logo on the DVD case.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.