I've been confused of this... I just want to know exactly the definition of a Stand alone software? what does it needs to call a software a Stand alone?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

It's contextual, I've seen several different meanings applied to the term.

What's wrong with Wikipedia

Besides the fact that any yahoo with an internet connection can edit it? ;)

Yes, and besides the wikipedia said "Standalone software can mean"

Means that the page is not sure what exactly a standalone software is. Dudee, wouldn't it be soo idiot if I just post something here and wait for other's reply that can be googled for just 0.06 seconds? Well I'm very sorry for looking impaired to you =/

Back in the day, "stand-alone" usually referred to any executable that didn't require any supporting, library or ancillary files to be distributed with it in order to run. So I could put my little ".exe" file on a 5 1/4 floppy and you could just run it on your own machine as-is. No DLL files, no OCX files, no database engine, etc.

<sigh> It was a simpler time...

In games, for example, "Stand Alone" means something that doesnt need somethine else to run. For example - there are stand-alone expansion packs, which dont require the original game, and stand-alone mods - e.g. counter strike and TF2 dont require half life.

Member Avatar for diafol

>In your perspective, how do you define stand-alone software?
A program that just farted at the bar.

>in your perspective, how do you define stand-alone software?
a program that just farted at the bar.

i concur. Lol

In games, for example, "Stand Alone" means something that doesnt need somethine else to run. For example - there are stand-alone expansion packs, which dont require the original game, and stand-alone mods - e.g. counter strike and TF2 dont require half life.

Which means that the program can be copy-pasted in different computer without the installation?

Back in the day, "stand-alone" usually referred to any executable that didn't require any supporting, library or ancillary files to be distributed with it in order to run. So I could put my little ".exe" file on a 5 1/4 floppy and you could just run it on your own machine as-is. No DLL files, no OCX files, no database engine, etc.

You must be very old. Just kidding! :))

But back then I'm still at my grade school and I thought computers get their viruses because somebody let the floppy disk exposed outside the computer room :))

Indeed, that would be the definition.

Machine and system independant, too, would be nice.

Which means that the program can be copy-pasted in different computer without the installation?

YES! ...unless it needs some documents. Then just copy the whole folder.

You must be very old. Just kidding! :))

5 1/4 disks were still common when i was a kid. Even in the early-mid 90s, you still had old 1980s BBC Microcomputers in school. A whole 16kb of ram @ about 4 megahertz CPU speed.

The author of this thread clearly stated that you should give a definition in your own term and we still have posts redirecting us to wikipedia.

Well, in my own simple term, just as the name implies....its a program that requires no external effort to run.

The author of this thread clearly stated that you should give a definition in your own term and we still have posts redirecting us to wikipedia.

The author of this thread also doesn't seem to understand that there are many acceptable definitions and Wikipedia covers them sufficiently well. There's no need to reiterate in different words what Wikipedia already says.

The author of this thread also doesn't seem to understand that there are many acceptable definitions and Wikipedia covers them sufficiently well. There's no need to reiterate in different words what Wikipedia already says.

My apologies madame.

But I was just ensuring that the definition and not to complicate things more. In my stand, I just want to make things clear. Because I believe I lack of knowledge when it comes to definition of terms. I hope I explained my side clear.

commented: idiot spammer forgot his links - doh +0

Many things...

commented: That's what I've been telling +0

In simple terms...

The application which does not uses any internet connection can be called as Stand-alone application..

5 1/4 disks were still common when i was a kid. Even in the early-mid 90s, you still had old 1980s BBC Microcomputers in school. A whole 16kb of ram @ about 4 megahertz CPU speed.

And those days were floppy disks are easily broken. That's why we used them as Shurikkens. LOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.