I had a terrible grade when it comes to mathematics. I do suck at it{Except Trigonometry}. But Seriously {Not to brag} I've been the best kid around when it comes to programming.

To add another point, My Mathematics teacher laugh at me when I told her that I wanted to take Computer Science. She told me that I cannot handle the intense mathematics there{Oh God knows she's sooo wrong}. So guys, What do you think about it? :)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Programming is rooted in mathematics, but modern programming really doesn't require any kind of advanced math except in specialized fields. Logic and problem solving are the keys to success in programming.

If you want a DEGREE in Computer Science, it'll require passing quite a few math classes in order to get it. That's if you want the degree. A lot of people seem to do just fine without the degree.

Hey, I was in completely the same situation you are in, I completely sucked at Mathematics.. But I'm studying Computer Science now, and my maths skills have improved so much!

Obviously, you'll need to sit mathematic classes and exams in order to do it but it's worth it - I guess!

Nowadays, you don't really need the heavy mathematics as someone probably already wrote a library for that. Its more about problem solving and logic skills

Some colleges/universities have programming under two different departments: Computer Science in the math department and Computer Programming in Business Admin. Some also have computer programming in its own department. In USA it might also depend on which Bachelors degree you want: Bachelor of Science (lots of science and math) or Bachelor of Arts (lots of general studies).

CS with lots of math is what you want if you want to work for NASA to calculate an object going to a distant star. Programs heavy in graphics also require a lot of math. Most business related programs require nothing more than trig and college algebra.

If you want a DEGREE in Computer Science, it'll require passing quite a few math classes in order to get it. That's if you want the degree. A lot of people seem to do just fine without the degree.

What are you talking about? What country do you live? I thought diploma still matters today?

What are you talking about? What country do you live? I thought diploma still matters today?

In the United States at least, computer science courses require a certain number of credits in higher mathematics such as calculus and linear algebra. A degree certainly helps with marketability, but it's not an absolute requirement like in many other fields.

If you have good networks and are a good programmer, then you not necessarily need a degree. All you need is one job then from there its all about experience( mostly anyways ). That CS degree helps you get that first job. However, with proper connection and good skills, you all you need is that initial interview( no degree required) and your golden, assuming you can nail it.

A bad mathematics teacher in high school can discourage a lot of young people to go into a scientific career. There are some nice computer programs available to put you back on track with mathematics. Just Google for them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.