After quite some time (months) I've decided to clean up my email inbox, and the last email I got was a notification from Daniweb. Being reminded of good old times, I've decided to log in and check what's happening.
Just as I forgot to log in from time to time, I forgot my password. "No problem" I thought to myself, "I'll just reset my password, and all will be fine." Little did I know that it would lead me to the existential crysis of the day.
Sure enough, my email address wasn't enough. Dani added 2 questions for me to prove that I'm human... And I failed.
Being human that I am (I really, really am!) and having preferences and being overly-opinionated in every possible field, my answer to "What kind of device is IPad?" was "Crappy". Not that I find it crappy, I just generaly dislike mass-produced consumer items, but that doesn't matter.. what matters that I'm too much of a human to remember my password and not enough to pass as one.

Cheers!

Nick Evan commented: Haha ! +0

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

So is this the Chaky-bot which is posting now, or did the inhuman Chaky manage to pass the test eventually? :-)

I'm still working on my bot. Hopefully it will pass such tests for me. ;)

Good reminder us who have dabled in the field of AI, that when you finish your Turing test passing program, be sure to check yourself beside it and hopefully you can pass the test, or you must rethink the results :)

Unless Dani comes up with DNA test out of my keyboard head-bashing blood splatter, I'll still register as a bot.

Being human that I am (I really, really am!) and having preferences and being overly-opinionated in every possible field, my answer to "What kind of device is IPad?" was "Crappy". Not that I find it crappy, I just generaly dislike mass-produced consumer items, but that doesn't matter.. what matters that I'm too much of a human to remember my password and not enough to pass as one.

It was a trick question. We gave you a question to check if you're human, but the question itself depended on the rationality of a computer. Muahahaha! ;)

But seriously, I don't like that question because there's not a 100% clear answer. While you would expect most people to answer "tablet", that's not the only correct answer. Browsing through the questions, I found another that will surely produce a high instance of wrong answers given the answer list:

What is someone who plays football called?

And being neurotic about it on the programming forums, this one chafes:

How many bits are there in a byte?

FYI, I made a few tweaks that should help a bit, hopefully.

I blame Davey for writing the questions. Damn you, Davey! Daaaammmnnnnnn youuuuuuu!!!!!

commented: hahahaha :) +0

Please change your register processes, it is really troublesome it is so difficulty to becoming a member of Dani.
The question asked when register is stupid!

The questions are necessary for stopping spammer robots to register.

Well... spambots and yours truly :)

The questions were written in order so as there would be plenty that could be answered by people from places other than just the US.

The questions were written so as to have one generally accepted correct answer. Where more than one generally accepted correct answer existed, multiple correct responses were supplied.

No question and answer system can be both so simple that anyone can answer every question without thinking but complex enough to prevent bot registrations. There has to be some balance between the two, and if preventing the FLOOD of spambot registrations means that every now and then someone has a problem answering a question, then so be it.

The members complaining the questions are stupid still managed to register, I note. Far better that people have to put a little bit of effort into the registration process if they want to become part of the community here, rarher than make it so quick and easy that every lazy spammer on the planet arrives in short order.

Just, for the record, I'm not complaining.. I just find it funny how I failed at it. Otherwise I'd post in the feedback forum.

I do have a suggestion, tho.. You might want to reconsider using brand names. People might start to suspect favoritism.

Understand that Chaky. Just trying to point out the rationale for the questioning. End result has been, I have to say, very little spam activity since the new registration process went live.

my answer to "What kind of device is IPad?" was "Crappy".

LOL :) :) I might have answered "i don't know", but then I'm not as smart as a 5th grader (an American TV show)

my answer to "What kind of device is IPad?" was "Crappy".

The real question should be: "Will it blend?"

commented: Hehe! +0

I also ran into difficulty when answering the anti-bot filter. That is, when I tried to answer it correctly.
But the sign-up did show me how it might be difficult for anybody to determine if I am a bot or a human.

Kinda gives me that warm-and-fuzzy feeling. I like living in this shadow-land, somewhere between virtual reality and real reality. Strengthens my kinship to code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.