I quit using Windows last year, except occassionally (XP).

My hobbies and love is music (playing jazz guitar and using editing software, my favorite programs being Ardour and Audacity) and photography (favorite programs are Darktable, Gimp and Shotwell), using the Linux distros, Ubuntu and Lubuntu, which I am happy with.

Any room for me in these forums?

~Leo

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Sure, there is always room. Welcome!

For Linux-specific questions, there is a "Hardware & Software" -> "Linux and Unix" forum. Glad to hear you managed to unplug from the MS/Apple "Matrix".

There is definately room for you. Welcome to "no-more bluescreen and viruses land" :-)

Linux might get attacked if it is used by more n more people.

As whatever i thought
Why hacker will hack a system which only few people use?
I think you can't say Linux is virus free until it will be used by more people.
Till that time linux is safe to use.
I use Fedora & Win7 in same PC but thinks win7 is good

Linux might get attacked if it is used by more n more people.

As whatever i thought
Why hacker will hack a system which only few people use?
I think you can't say Linux is virus free until it will be used by more people.
Till that time linux is safe to use.

OK... I just have to disagree here.
first of all, I very much doubt you have any idea of the number of people that are actually using Linux, I can assure you, both for personal as for professional use, the "more n more people" have been using Linux for quite some years. The few people in your second statement there ... again, see my first point.
Microsoft is focused on by a lot of hackers, because they disagree with the companies policies, and, let's face it .... Microsoft tends to release their products filled with security risks and bugs, making it quite easy for those who know what to do to break into. Once those are found (and exploited), it still takes months for a patch to fix the problem to arise, where as Linux, open source, as soon as anyone detects a risk, he doesn't have to wait for a patch, he can easily create it and share it with the world.

A lot of virus programmers ("send me money or your laptop/pc is blocked", or mail virusses) also depend on the intelligence and knowledge of their victims (or rather, lack there of). And, since Windows still has a bit the monopoly on the market with "hey, I want a pre-installed machine because I wouldn't know how to do it myself" customers, again, Windows will be more targeted compared to any Linux distribution. To make one thing clear: I am not saying Windows users are automatically (or always, for that matter) dumb or don't know how to handle an OS, but someone who knows nothing about how to configure or set up an OS will more likely start off with a Windows setup.

No matter what OS, I sincerely doubt there will ever be an 100% secure one, that can't be broken into, but as for virusses and security leaks, unless Microsoft turns it's way of thinking and working completely around, Linux will always be safer and more secure compared to Windows.

I am just saying the maybe possibility of future of Linux might get attacked.
I know it is safe to use Linux.

Are you sure about what can happen in future?
Human brain is most denegerous thing in the universe, if it thought to do something then it will probably one day find a way to it.

It doesn't mean that I am opposing Linux, I also use Linux

no, it's just that security leaks in Linux will be a lot faster fixed then those in Windows, also, because a lot of those who abuse the leaks in Windows, tend to fix those in Linux (and yes, I know, surely not all of them, but hey)..
a lot of people who run their own small bussiness and servers, use a Linux distribution, cost effective and all that, and, of course, they want their own material and environment to be as secure as possible. the benefits of open source come into sight there: after improving their own environment, being it on functionality, usability or security, most people will share their updates.

at this point, Windows tries to bring out a new version every few years, in order to keep up with the new hardware, and, to stay one step ahead of the competition. their "we've gotta be first" mentality causes them to put software with quite big security issues on the market. then, it just comes down to this:

if you are a hunter, have bad eyes and don't have a zoom-visor, what will you try to hit with a gun? an elephant, or a mouse?

Hey guys,
I am considering switching to Linux from Windows(7). I am thinking Ubuntu as a starter though I have heard that Gentoo is programmer friendly. What I am considering is dual-booting my Windows computer with it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

WolfShield

What I am considering is dual-booting my Windows computer with it.

Any advice?

try Wubi for ubuntu

commented: great for beginners! +0

just check the official site of the distribution you want to start with. normally there's a section about how to create a dual boot system.

What I am considering is dual-booting my Windows computer with it.

If your hardware is adequate, I would really try running Windows 7 in a VirtualBox "jail". To be sure, there is a performance hit, but it is not at all noticeable unless you are running really heavy duty stuff for which there is no Linux equivalent (3D modeling, some Molecular simulations, probably some Games). Even then, performance is not too bad. There are also several other advantages. First, once you get the Windows virtual machine set up, you can save a copy of the virtual machine file. Since Windows cannot get to your Linux machine, if the Windows machine does get corrupted, the saved virtual machine can be copied over the corrupted one and you're back in business in about 10 minutes or less. Second, you can run both Linux and Windows at the same time, switching between them in an instant with a single mouse click. None of that time consuming closing one OS and rebooting the other. In fact if you have 2 monitors, you can have Windows on one screen and Linux on the other. In either case, you can copy and paste between the 2 OSes ad-lib. Finally, you can close Windows by saving its machine state - somewhat like hibernation, but at least 10 times faster. Also, for some weird reason, Windows actually boots faster when running as a virtual machine under Linux, at least on my machines (Your results may vary).

One last comment for all those who remain convinced that Linux is not targeted by Crackers because there are not enouch machines to make it worth the trouble. If this is really the case, then how does one explain the fact that I was logging over 20000 break in attempts per month before I started using the DenyHosts program? Believe me, the forces of evil are out there, trying very hard to break into Linux machines, all day, every day, 365 days a year. Their lack of success can only be a result of better inherent security. In my LAB, I can't keep a Windows machine running for more than 6 months without a security incident of some kind. I've been running Linux on all my personal machines for over 6 years and I am yet to suffer a single successful break in attempt. You can explain this however you like, but you CANNOT say that it's because no one is trying.

By the way, you may have noticed the use of the term "Crackers" rather than "Hackers". "Hacker" is the most widely misused term in the English language, something largely the fault of a mostly ignorant media. I carefully reserve the use of "Hackers" to its original, and I believe correct, meaning. Specifically, a Hacker is a talented, computer programmer who uses his talents to "Hack" through broken, marginal, obscure or just simply poorly coded programs (much like the classical prince hacking through the tangled forest to rescue the princess). His intent is to solve problems, improve code and fix things. Crackers use these same talents for evil. One might even say that a Cracker is a Hacker who has gone over to the Dark Side!

@zeroliken: Thank you very much for that program! It has simplified the process greatly! I now have a dual booted computer! (Posting this on Ubuntu.) :)

@stultuske: Good advice. I've read all that before, but great advice.

@sbesch: Uhh, oops. I've already installed Ubuntu with Wubi. I haven't been back on the Windows OS yet, but there are no obvious problems I can tell from this side. Also, I am so glad that someone else reserves the term 'Hacker' for it's REAL definition, and uses the term 'Cracker' in it's rightful places! It's killer to try and have a conversation with people while using the term Cracker and computers because everyone seems to take it as dissing white people (which would be dissing myself); or to use the term Hacker and computers because everyone thinks I'm talking about breaking into stuff! Social media screwing everything up again. Thanks for knowing what your talking about, and standing up for it. :)

I use windows7 but i also have ubuntu running on same machine. Ubuntu is good but we cant still wipe away the good gracious usefulness of windows. Come to think of it, editing tools like photo and video editing, windows still has the best on its list. I would totally eradicate windows when applications like ADobe fireworks and photoshop start to run on the linux machine without any 3rd party software.
Developers i think(in my own opinion), are the most lovers of linux as it best fits their needs with little or no hitches especially when dealing with an opensource framework.

It's killer to try and have a conversation with people while using the term Cracker and computers because everyone seems to take it as dissing white people (which would be dissing myself)

Oddly, I was completely unaware of the Pejorative meaning of "Cracker" until quite recently. Perhaps we should start looking for another term to distinguish these creeps from Hackers. I've been trying to think of some adequate substitutes, but nothing yet seems to have quite the same ring to it. As a joke, I thought that maybe "Bankers" would work, but I thought that was being too hard on the "Hackers Gone Bad". Then, I thought maybe "Crookers", which sums up the intent of some of them, but doesn't quite roll off the tongue so well. "Breakers" also occurred to me, but I didn't like it either because it maligns surf, and the media is just lame enough to mix it up with surfers. Perhaps we should just bite the bullet and always qualify our use of the terms as "Computer Cracker" and "Computer Hacker". Maybe we should start another thread to explore this topic and get suggestions from people more clever than I.

Update: I've been using Ubuntu Linux for a few days now and TOTALLY LOVE IT! First day I had to play with it morning 'til night. :) I've written a couple shell scripts, downloaded g++ (from the shell), started using GEdit and started a project in Linux (yes, I've been having fun :D).

@Netcode: I agree that I can't get rid of Windows. There are programs that are not available for Linux that I need for this or that. It also helps to have Windows to test programs on as most people use it. I also agree that most people who use and like Linux are developers. I know why developers like it, I'm just not sure why other people don't so much. It is a little more technical to install and that can frighten non-technical people away. And Linux does seem to have less support for some popular software. However, there may be some hope yet! I found out about this company a while ago: https://www.system76.com/

@sbesch: Yeah, I think you have a really good idea there! I'll start one after this post. :)

I agree that I can't get rid of Windows.

I don't think that the issue is actually "getting rid of Windows", but more one of keeping it in its proper place, like keeping an ill behaved child in "time out". It's rather more productive to think of Windows as just another program, part of whose functionality is those "Windows only Programs" that you continue to need. The real issue is how you prevent Windows from misbehaving and how you minimize the damage when it does. At one time, when hardware was much slower and less powerful, this basically meant having a cloned Windows machine and a Linux Machine (either dual-boot or dual machines). However virtualization and very powerful hardware has made that a thing of the past. In keeping with the original question in this discussion, that would be why I would not recommend running virtual Linux on a Windows host - there is still the problem of Windows having direct access to hardware and the rest of the file system. In my opinion, this is also the problem with Dual-Boot - nothing stops a Windows gone bad from trashing the entire machine, including the Linux partitions on your Dual-Boot system.

With Windows in VirtualBox over Linux you can have the best of both worlds. You can enjoy what Windows does well and revel in all the things that Linux does well. Options is the name of the game, and the more the better. If all you want is "plug in, turn on, play, turn off", then go for Windows. If you want more, then go for Linux and add Windows if you need it (or just simply want it).

I can hear the chorus of "Yeah Buts..." rising up out there in cyberspace. Before you take the time to get too worked up, please be aware that I am fully aware of the limitations of Windows over VirtualBox in Linux. Running AutoCad Inventor is a bit slower, but not as much as you might think. I run it all the time for all of our 3D modeling work. For those who love to trash OpenOffice and LibreOffice, I also work in a University Environment where the Windows lock in is rather strong. I get MS office documents all the time and have almost never had any trouble opening them, modifying them, saving them back to MS format and returning them to the original sender. LibreOffice handles them all very well, except for a few rarely used features. When writing original documents, there is never any problem at all. And MS office has never gotten embedded graphics to work very well. I write and edit a lot of scientific papers and the extreme frustration of MS-Word splitting figures and figure legends apart, and then spontaneously re-arranging them to random places all over the document, is something I just can't bear anymore. MSOffice has had this problem for years and it never gets any better. NEITHER OpenOffice or LibreOffice does this. Itmay do other things, but it does not do this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.