@pritaeas - not a hacking movie but have you seen "The Man From Earth"?

pritaeas commented: Thanks for that one, top notch! +0

No... sounds interesting, thx. Is this from a book? It sounds so familiar.

The last major work by Jerome Bixby. It's a thinking movie. Sort of science fiction (but only in the broadest sense). From the write-up...

An impromptu goodbye party for Professor John Oldman becomes a mysterious interrogation
after the retiring scholar reveals to his colleagues he is an immortal who has walked the earth for 14,000 years.

You'll recognize a few of the faces. There is no action. It's all conversation between those at the party. And it is thoroughly engrossinig.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Reverend Jim

I might see that movie "The Man From Earth"

@pritaeas

I don't know if you saw this movie: "Equilibrium".

Does it consider HACK or PROGRAMING?

I would consider it neither. Reminded me more of 1984 without the downer ending.

@Reverend Jim: Exactly, or "Fahrenheit 451".

"Firewall" is more about networking of course, and there's the movie "23". "Johnny Mnemonic" perhaps. Not sure if you like Anime, but "Ghost in the Shell" is very nice.

It's not a movie, but I really like Code Monkeys. For anyone that's not seen it, it's a cartoon about game programmers. It's drawn to look like an old school video game.

@pritaeas - My favourite part of Firewall is when Harrison Ford takes the sensor out of the scanner and tapes it to the monitor to capture the text as it scrolls by. What a joke. My younger son got me into Anime a few years ago. I was impressed with the quality of the artwork and the depth of a lot of the scripts. We watch the originals with English subtitles. I've also seen a couple of the "Americanized" shows. We avoid those at all costs.

@Reverend Jim

I never heard or saw that movie til you mention it. I google it and find out that John Hurt was in it. He was also in that movie Hellboy that how I remember him.

It seems you like to read books.

I might see that movie if I have time.

Fahrenheit 451

I read that book in High School. That was a long time ago. I didn't see the movie.

Firewall

The movie was OK

You got Ray Bradbury and I had to struggle through Sommerset Maugham. Some people get all the luck.

I was impressed with the quality of the artwork and the depth of a lot of the scripts

Exactly. No Hollywood rip-off can say the same. As with some Japanese/Korean horror, the Hollywood counterparts are a laugh.

You got Ray Bradbury and I had to struggle through Sommerset Maugham. Some people get all the luck.

No, I had to take literature class in High School. I end up also reading JD Salinger "The Catcher in the Rye".

Sommerset Maugham

I google him. I never heard of him til you mention it now.

JD Salinger passed away couple years ago and now Ray Bradbury passed away couple months ago. I feel there won't be any short story writers anything soon rather in America or other countries reference to Ray Bradbury.

@pritaeas - ever seen Death Note (Anime)? Amazing amount of thought went into that one.

@LastMitch - 1984 was also Richard Burton's last movie

I liked both Hackers and Pirate of Sillcon Valley....
But still Hackers was awesome..

Not one of my favo.. but the hacker guy in Italian Job does nice little traffic signal hacking.. :P :D

Death Note

Added to my list, thx. Hmz... the 37 part series, two part movie ? Do you perhaps have an IMDB link to verify ?

The one I watched was the series. There were many episodes. Don't recall the exact number of them. FYI we also enjoyed Samurai Champloo. Odd name but good series (the anachronisms are especially entertaining). I think this is it

By the way, I see you are from the Netherlands. My father's parents came to Canada from there in the late 1800s.

IMHO the Animes with original voices and English subtitles are far more enjoyable than those with English dubbed in.

I will also go with Swordfish. Hue Jackman is onr of my most liked stars and Isaw the movie only knowing after he is in it. Surprisingly, I liked the story more than I expected. It was actually an action movie but has a lot of things with hackings. Die hard 4 was also a good one.

than those with English dubbed in.

Agreed. Dubbing is just awful. I have them all now... ;)

What about die hard 4 ?

I don't know if it counts, but there are a few good documentaries on hackers or the history of hacking. I quite enjoyed those, I think you can get them on youtube, if I remember, the australian one and the swedish one are pretty good, and I think there is also a BBC one.

Hey my favorate movies are:

MI4: Ghost Protocol

The Italian Job (2003)

Antitrust

The Matrix 

Gamer

Swordfish

Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard  (my fav)

Tron (not much to speak but just like it )

WarGames

Bollywood movie Players.

There was a TV series in the 80's which was inspired by 'War Games' called Whiz Kids. That series made me so envious of Americans, they had all the computer gear we in the UK could only dream about.

As someone said earlier in the thread, they do silly things with Tech in films, and TV series, silly things that only a seasoned geek could spot... and I lost all faith in the Whiz Kids series when I saw how a Sinclair ZX81 was being used... can you see the TV Tech Travesty in this episode:

You don't need to watch the whole thing, just scoot to 8:50 and watch until 9:10... what is the TV Tech Travesty being committed here?

Whiz Kids Episode 11

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.