I have no desire to see World War Z. I understand that they took out all of the political and social commentary that was in the book and turned it into a "Brad Pitt saves the world" action flick.

<M/> commented: TRUE! +0

I have no desire to see World War Z. I understand that they took out all of the political and social commentary that was in the book and turned it into a "Brad Pitt saves the world" action flick.

Anything with Pitt typically is a film like that (""Brad Pitt saves the world" action flick.")...

I'm going to see Gravity next Friday with my family, was there a lot of action?

Well, there was a lot of great acting, great story line, great special effects, and it did have an appropriate amount of action :D You will like it, trust me...

Would you like some spoilers? ;)

they took out all of the political and social commentary that was in the book and turned it into a "Brad Pitt saves the world" action flick.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they did. But it is a pretty good "Brad Pitt saves the world" action flick.

Social and political commentary is always taken out of any big-budget movie. It's a matter of aiming for the masses, which means no "message" that is either too meaningful or too complicated, to avoid offending or confusing anyone. I guess that's a social commentary in itself: most people don't want to be bothered to think critically nor be bothered in their preconceived notions. Big budget movies either re-inforce accepted notions or are completely trivial in their messages. It's like the Hunger Games going from a commentary on class warfare to a movie about an extreme reality show (which is, of course, an infinitely simpler and far less interesting issue).

Back on topic, I just saw "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" yesterday. It's a pretty cool / funny movie, but definitely hard to follow at times, which I don't think matters much in this case.

It's like the Hunger Games going from a commentary on class warfare to a movie about an extreme reality show (which is, of course, an infinitely simpler and far less interesting issue).

Lets be honest here... the hunger games (book or movie) was always ####...

Also, i think Gravity may win some oscars this year :D

Member Avatar for diafol

Unfortunately political and social commentary would be lost on the majority of people who want to see Brad Pitt save the world. I and quite a few here, on the other hand, would like to see political and social commentary and Brad Bitt not save the world - in fact - perhaps the world could not save Brad Pitt. I'd pay to see that. :)

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Wow, I never knew you guys dislike Brad Pitt that much.

Also, i think Gravity may win some oscars this year :D

Maybe or maybe not.

Saw the movie Hummingbird starting Jason Statham. It was good movie.

I like how Steven Knight wrote the screenplay again but the acting more a bit off but the story is solid.

David Mamet does the same thing but different style.

Captain Phillips was a good movie, not a great one. But tom hanks has a chance of a getting an oscar.

I just saw 3 movies so this weekend.

I saw R.I.P.D. which was OK.

I also saw Only God Forgives. That was a strange film but it was OK, not as good as Drive but good.

I also saw Pawn Shop Chronicles which was OK.

I saw R.I.P.D. which was OK.

... no! that movie was god awful!

... no! that movie was god awful!

It was not as bad as you think. There were some funny moments.

I saw Europa Report. It was a nice indie film.

I also saw Evil Dead (the old one) which is not bad

The White House has Fallen -- good acting but just a copycat plot of Olympis Is Down -- both about the White House getting blown up.

both about the White House getting blown up.

it has happened before...

I saw ender's game... worst film ever! Hugo & ender's game = my worst films of all time...

The White House has Fallen -- good acting but just a copycat plot of Olympis Is Down -- both about the White House getting blown up.

I saw The White House has Fallen tonight. I felt it was boring. Yes, I have to agree it a similiar plot.

I like Olympus Has Fallen a little more because the action & emotion was more intense than The White House has Fallen.

I saw ender's game... worst film ever! Hugo & ender's game = my worst films of all time...

I haven't seen those both movie yet.

Beside watching The White House has Fallen.

I also saw Breathe In which was OK.

Thor 2... that was worse than the first one...

Thor 2... that was worse than the first one...

Was it that bad?

I just saw Oz: The Great and Powerful today

it was an OK movie.

i had show "Law Abiding Citizen"

it was ok movie.

Finally saw Iron Man 3. I loved Ben Kingley's part but one thing ruined it for me. After learning throughout multiple encounters that these people can pretty much cripple/kill with a touch, why would Stark insist on fighting with his fists instead of just shooting from a safe distance? He can FREAKING FLY for crying out loud.

Yes. I know these are movies based on comic books but since Christopher Nolan decided to treat these stories as the myths of our age (like the Gods of ancient Greece were the myths of that age) and tell them as such, I expected a little better. I guess J J Abram's total lack of logic is starting to infect others.

Les Visiteurs -- the funniest movie I have ever had to read (subtitles)

Saw Ender's Game yesterday. I very much enjoyed it. I liked that it was more than just a good guys vs bad guys movie. Now I can read the book. It was a little odd seeing Ben Kingsley in this role after just seeing him in Iron Man 3.

I don't know if this is the latest trend (I haven't been to the theatre to see a movie in a while) but they had the coming attractions volume set to around 200 db and I had to complain to get them to reduce it to the point where it wasn't painful. My son, as well, had his fingers in his ears. I can't imagine what the battle scenes would have been like if I hadn't complained.

Saw Ender's Game yesterday

I just saw Ender's Game as well. I thought it was really good and I didn't feel like I was ripped off for paying to see a movie for a change.

Member Avatar for diafol

Just saw Gravity in 3D at Imax. Wow! Probably the best use of 3D EVER. The movie itself was pretty good - maybe a bit cliched in parts, but the visuals were amazing. Sandra Bullock is pushing 50. She looks amazing - what a body!

Life of Pi and Wreck-It-Ralph on TV. Both amazing movies.

"Gravitation" with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I can recommend this one.

Frozen was impressive (better than lion king) while the new hobbit was a flop... :(

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Just finished watching the korean version of 'old boy.' Wow wasn't expecting the end... I wanted to watch gravity in the cinema but couldn't be asked in the end.

Member Avatar for diafol

Just finished watching the korean version of 'old boy.'

That's one horrendous film ain't it. Loved it.

commented: sure is ;) +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.