Lucy----really an awesome film...

American Sniper - i thought it was a bit overrated.

"The Equalizer" Freakin Amazing. Thats all :)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is on atm

I like Helen Hunt for some odd reason, so I watched "Twister". Some nice action near the end.

Another playful movie is "Sideways" that takes place in the California wine country, close to where I live. Sentimental and funny too! So once a year I watch it.

I watched Nightcrawler yesterday, a fantasic performance from Jake Gyllenhaal!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Focus, it was a pretty decent script. Want to see 50 shades of grey haha.

There are some thrillers that really stick on my mind for a while (that was the case of "Ghost Ship" too) , now days it is the “The Hidden Face” . I don't know why I love clever thriller stories , It might have to do with sitting around fire and telling stories. Of course I love also Sci-Fi but my favorite is not easy to be categorized ("The Illusionist")

The Imitation Game. And for once, "based on a true story" got it mostly right, at least based on my reading of "Colossus The Secrets Of Bletchley Park's Code-Breaking Computers". I was pretty disgusted with the complete fabrication that was Argo.

Also just watched The Cabin in the Woods (2012). It's actually a decent horror movie (a genre I usually hate unless starring Bruce Campbell) with a fair bit of comedy thrown in. One of the stars is Bradley Whitford (Josh Lyman from The West Wing). His last words are great and one of the best laughs in the movie. Chris Hemsworth actually filmed this before he did Thor but it was released later.

Trivia - the actor who plays the nerd was actually in much better shape than any of the other male leads (even Chris Hemsworth) and had to wear baggy clothes (and eschew the swimming scene) in order to hide this.

I have seen quite a lot of movies recently and most of the movies out in theaters were pretty boring in my opinion. So just recently i decided to watch the last of the hobbit movies and i have come to realize that the film is nearly the same as the last harry potter film... just a giant battle scene...

I have been watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Netflix and I love the series. I liked a few of the Star Wars movies but have never been a huge fan. However, the Clone Wars shows are awesome.

Too much use of green-screen in The Hobbit. I read that Ian McKellen was in tears during the filming because he found acting in front of non-existent sets extremely frustrating.

I read that Ian McKellen was in tears during the filming because he found acting in front of non-existent sets extremely frustrating.

That was true... i found that out in an app called iFunny. I found it funny that people can learn very interesting things in apps that are meant to be funny...

Member Avatar for diafol

The Imitation Game (Turing biopic). Brilliant. Very sobering ending.

I was cleaning out some old bookmarks and came across Structured Dreams. It's been a long time since I read through this and enjoyed it just as much the second time around, sort of like leftover possum (if you watched TV in the 60s you'll understand the reference). The author hated the Star Trek reboot with such passion that he took the time to rip apart each and every minute of the movie. He presents an airtight case for why J J Abrams should not be allowed to make movies for a target audience older than 6.

Waiting.... FFOR MAD MAX FURY ROAD

Member Avatar for Warrens80

I wanting to Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Interstellar

Favorite Quote by Cooper played by Matthew McConaughey - We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars, now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt.

I'd probably have enjoyed that (Jack Reacher movie) if not for the fact that I have read all of the Jack Reacher books. If you have read the books you know that Tom Cruise is the exact opposite of Jack Reacher in almost every way.

In the books, isn't Jack Reacher supposed to be really big, strong, and slow?

Member Avatar for diafol

Yes described as a mesomorph. But can't sprint.

Hardly compact (mesomorph). He is described as 6'5" and 250 lbs of solid muscle. Tom cruise is 5'7" and around 100 lbs too light. When the movie was first cast I asked several people to pick the actor least likely to be picked to play Jack Reacher. Out of six people asked this question, all said Tom Cruise.

Member Avatar for diafol

If there's a follow-up, maybe they'll put him on a box, like they did for Alan Ladd when he had to kiss Sophia Loren :)
I heard Tom Cruise narrowly lost out to Michael J. Fox initially, but finally got the nod due to the actor's secret use of the mind-altering E-meter.

Having said all that, Cruise features in some of my fave films, so I won't diss the guy too much.

Saw Inception again tonight. Still good.

Hardly compact (mesomorph). He is described as 6'5" and 250 lbs of solid muscle. Tom cruise is 5'7" and around 100 lbs too light. When the movie was first cast I asked several people to pick the actor least likely to be picked to play Jack Reacher. Out of six people asked this question, all said Tom Cruise.

I guess it makes sense to make him the star. If you want to sell tickets, who would you want as the star? One of hollywood's most powerful figures or a new actor who could be a complete gamble? In terms of being realistic, there are numerous others who could have pulled off the look. I mean, i guess if you casted someone who is large but big in hollywood like the Rock would have worked

One of hollywood's most powerful figures or a new actor who could be a complete gamble?

The story did not require any great expense in terms of special effects so a major expense would have been the outrageous salary demanded by Cruise. Why not cast a lesser known actor instead of an overpaid, overhyped Tom Cruise? Personally, I would have liked to see Jim Caviezel in the role. True, he is still a few inches shy at a mere 6'2" but he has the demeanor down pat and with some serious training he would bulk up nicely.

Plus, he's not a complete douche like Tom Cruise.

The story did not require any great expense in terms of special effects so a major expense would have been the outrageous salary demanded by Cruise.

But isn't he also one of the main producers of the film?

Why not cast a lesser known actor instead of an overpaid, overhyped Tom Cruise?

For ticket sales, I suppose. You are more likely going to watch a film with an actor you already know rather than a new person.

Personally, I would have liked to see Jim Caviezel in the role. True, he is still a few inches shy at a mere 6'2" but he has the demeanor down pat and with some serious training he would bulk up nicely.

Since i really don't know what Jack Reacher should look like, aside from a big burly man... Jim would need to pack on some weight :P

Plus, he's not a complete douche like Tom Cruise.

Probably because he had stayed happily married with his since like 1996 while tom cruise divorces each of his wives at the age of 33... Don't get me wrong, Tom Cruise is a talented guy, so lets give the man credit where he deserves it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.