Yes, he did change Gene Roddenberry's version a little

Read the Star Trek by the Minute blog and see if you still think "a little" even begins to describe it.

I saw Inception lately.

Terminator Salvation was on TV the other day on a HD channel. I set me thinking that every film I've seen Christian Bale in, have been brilliant. I haven't bothered watching the boxing film he made recently, I don't rate sports based films. Think I'll dig out the Equilibrium DVD and watch that again tonight.

The Star Trek reboot film you mention, was that the last Star Trek film with Christopher Pine? (C. 2008) That is one of the best Star Trek films ever. It stayed true to form with the original series. Many of the other ST films had too many political overtones.

Wrath of Khan, and Insurrection, are other personal favourites.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

@BigPaw, yeah loved Terminator Salvation, it was pretty good. But the nothing, I mean nothing beats Terminator 2. That has to be my all time favourite movie.

I watched the boxing movie with Bale in it but that was pretty lame - I happen to love boxing as a sport. Never heard of Equilibrium but it sounds interesting.

This weekend I hope to get 'in time' on DVD and possibly Prometheus.

Also, the film 'limitless' was a pretty cool movie to watch. I just like the plot.

It stayed true to form with the original series.

It totally demolished the characters and themes of the original (two) series. It was totally devoid of even basic science and logic and completely changed the characters. The writing insulted the intelligence of even the most forgiving of viewers. Read the Star Trek by the Minute blog referred to above for detailed coverage of each of these points. I could summarize a few but Mr. Field has already done such an admirable job.

Never heard of Equilibrium but it sounds interesting.

Equillibirium was heavily influenced by 1984. If you want to see the extremes Christial Bale will go to for his craft I suggest you watch The Machinist.

Keep in mind that The Machinist and Batman Begins were made only a year apart.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Reverend Jim

Read the Star Trek by the Minute blog and see if you still think "a little" even begins to describe it.

I read a twice already! You are a died hard Star Trek fan. I realized that the writers went off target meaning really off.

For example:

In the com chatter, we hear a question as to whether “this” could be Klingon, with an answer that “Negative, you’re 75,000 kilometers from…” something garbled. 75k frequent flyer km could get you upgraded to 1st class flying to Cleveland, but on the scale of interstellar space it’s insignificant. Even if we generously assume something like the Kelvin were this far from the Zone of McGuffin, a 1960’s Apollo capsule could coast that distance in less time than the running time for this film. At Warp 1 (light speed), it would take the most pitiful interstellar vessel a whopping one quarter second. The human eye takes at least 10% longer than this to quickly blink, so the answer makes no apparent sense, except to illustrate the scriptwriters don't even understand that "space is really big. Another strange thing is: why would anyone ask if a weird lightning storm phenomenon were Klingon? No one looks out a window and asks whether the clouds are Social Democrat or Monarchist.

I think special effect make up that error but you as a died hard Star Trek fan thinks that the writer needs to be more attentive with the details.

I do like the new version but at the same time keep those details intact. But I read some articles that the next movie which will come out next year I think will be more attentive with those details.

Cheer Up! The movie will get better and more improvement!

Keep in mind that The Machinist and Batman Begins were made only a year apart.

Really I didn't know that but I did saw both movies!

Batman Begins was good. I like it.

The Machinist is really I'm not sure how to describe it but its really far fetched. I mean it's really intense how anyone rather in the film or real life would do that.

@iamthwee

But the nothing, I mean nothing beats Terminator 2. That has to be my all time favourite movie.

It's the best Terminator out of the series! It's not my all time favourite movie.

My favorite all time movie is "Field of Dreams". The scene in the end always tears in my eyes. It's one of those Father and Son movies.

There's another one called "Big Fish" by Tim Burton which is second.

When the writers can have Spock stand on the surface of a planet in one star system and, with the naked eye, watch the destruction of Vulcan (in another star system) it is obvious the writers either knew absolutely nothing about basic science or just plain didn't give a rats a$$. For those of you out there who are still scratching your heads let me explain

You can't see any detail from that far away. It takes over 8 minutes for a solar event to be detected here on Earth and that is within this solar system. If the star was even visible to the naked eye from that far away it would take years for the light to travel from one star to another.

Read the blog again.

Many of the other ST films had too many political overtones.

Many of the original shows were thinly veiled social commentary (The Cloud Minders). Gene Roddenberry got away with it because at that time the network execs didn't take sci-fi seriously enough to pay attention to anything but the ratings. Then again, some of the shows were just crap (Spock's Brain) or blatant politcal propaganda (The Omega Glory) or both.

@Reverend Jim

When the writers can have Spock stand on the surface of a planet in one star system and, with the naked eye, watch the destruction of Vulcan (in another star system) it is obvious the writers either knew absolutely nothing about basic science or just plain didn't give a rats a$$. For those of you out there who are still scratching your heads let me explain

You can't see any detail from that far away. It takes over 8 minutes for a solar event to be detected here on Earth and that is within this solar system. If the star was even visible to the naked eye from that far away it would take years for the light to travel from one star to another.

Read the blog again.

I read it a couple of times. I'm not familiar with Physics. So that's why those details I'm not familiar with. The reason why Gene Roddenberry was able to write Star Trek in that much detail because he like aviation.

When the writers can have Spock stand on the surface of a planet in one star system and, with the naked eye, watch the destruction of Vulcan (in another star system)

It's science fiction for a reason. I doubt Spock would have seen anything in just the same way as I don't believe that Spock or Vulcans really exist. :)

This said, there was an episode on TV just this week were Spock could sense the death of many Vulcans on a distant Vulcan Starship. So, at least there is something to be said for continuity and consistency.

Many of the other ST films had too many political overtones. Many of the original shows were thinly veiled social commentary (The Cloud Minders). Gene Roddenberry got away with it because at that time the network execs didn't take sci-fi seriously enough to pay attention to anything but the ratings. Then again, some of the shows were just crap (Spock's Brain) or blatant politcal propaganda (The Omega Glory) or both.

I see what you mean, but for me there is a difference between a social commentary, loyalty, friendship, integrity, etc, and the Politics of one political ideal against another whether a form of Democracy, Communism, or Dictatorship. I don't want any of that, knowing that in reality they are just different forms of dictatorship, albeit necessary to dissuade anarchy.

I just like the temporary escape into adventurism, the 'unknown'. Science fiction does that for me. It's entertainment.:)

The reason Gene Roddenberry got it at least a little more correct is that he had science advisors, however, even with that he screwed up royally. Even at the fastest normal speed (warp 8), the Enterprise could not have traveled the distances it did in the given time frame. But at least that much isn't obvious until you do the math. The oversights made by Abrams were just insulting. I expect liberties to be taken but only to a point. An interesting book, The Physics of Star Trek, makes for fun reading.

@Reverend Jim

An interesting book, The Physics of Star Trek, makes for fun reading.

There's actually a book about The Physics of Star Trek? Wow, I didn't even know that exist. I think Abrams didn't take time to actually read and watch Star Trek closely.

I think he did for the money and royalty.

Lawrence Krauss - The Physics of Star Trek

Lawrence Krauss is Ambrose Swasey Professor of Physics, Professor of Astronomy and Chairman of the Department of Physics at Case Western Reserve University. He is the author of two acclaimed books,Fear of Physics:A Guide for the Perplexed andThe Fifth Essence: The Search for Dark Matter in the Universe, and over 120 scientific articles. He is the recipient of several international awards for his work, including the Presidential Investigator Award, given by President Reagan in 1986. He lectures extensively to both lay and professional audiences and frequently appears on radio and television.

@Reverend Jim

Lawrence Krauss - The Physics of Star Trek

Lawrence Krauss is Ambrose Swasey Professor of Physics, Professor of Astronomy and Chairman of the Department of Physics at Case Western Reserve University. He is the author of two acclaimed books,Fear of Physics:A Guide for the Perplexed andThe Fifth Essence: The Search for Dark Matter in the Universe, and over 120 scientific articles. He is the recipient of several international awards for his work, including the Presidential Investigator Award, given by President Reagan in 1986. He lectures extensively to both lay and professional audiences and frequently appears on radio and television.

It's a nice info to know. I didn't google the book so I didn't know much about it nor the author from my preivous post. So now I know I can read more about him.

If that book tickles your fancy then there are two other books (by different authors) titled

1. The Science of Supervillains
  2. The Science of Superheroes

both by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg

@Reverend Jim

If that book tickles your fancy then there are two other books (by different authors) titled

The Science of Supervillains
The Science of Superheroes

both by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg

I'll just read the review of the books. It's bit too much reading. I think I mention to you I don't read much. It's good to know and Thanks!

This past weekend I saw 2 movies: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter & Ill Manors

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a werid movie but overall it was OK film. I like it. The only issue I have is that Abraham Lincoln was using the axe like it was a baseball bat. Axe are heavy and dangerous. In the end, he was 50 something years old and I hardly see a any 50 something year old swing at anything without a breather.

Ill Manors is are good movie. I was really surprise how this story goes! I'm not into poetry and rap. The storyline is very good right from the start. This movie is really different from the movies I watch in the past that was made in England. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels & Snatch (film) comes to mind. I like this film a lot because in the end the guy make a decision and walk away. I was even more impressed that this movie was written and direct by a rapper name Ben Drew. I never heard of him til now but I'll be looking forward if he directed another film.

"Nim's Island" is a really nice family film. It's one of those feel good films that has the right balance of everything. Many 'family' type films have a moment cf morose sadness, as you would find in many Disney films, consider Bambi and the death of his mother. (for my daughter and I this was very distressing. I had completely forgotten about, not the event, but how good Disney is at traumatising emotions)

If ever I was asked about my favourite films, that would be in the top 5. :)

Avengers was the last movie i have seen. what a great movie it was...i really enjoyed it..

@BigPaw

I haven't watch Disney films for a few years.

@Myronz

I haven't seen Avengers yet but thanks for the mentioning it. Now, it's on my rent movie list.

Well,when talking about the recent movie Immediately final desitination 5 directed by Steven Quale comes to my mind....It is a Horror movie which makes you restless and holds your breath throughout the end.The main plot of the movie is a series of unnatural death...The main hero of the movie is Nicholas D'Agosto.....

@unni6849

final desitination 5

I think I only watch the first movie. I'm not into horror genre.

Helloa, Pepsi Generation!

As to me I got tired of any movies, long time ago.
Hate all of them, soviet, american, eastern european, UK's etc etc.
For some vague reason I "hate" especially british movies.

Apart from... Charlie Chaplin. His "The Gold Rush" (no words).
In 70s I watched it for 3-4 times "in a row". Jewish humor is unbeatable.
Also, maybe, early Clint Eastwood + a couple/triple of Soviet comedies.

Member Avatar for diafol

Big fan of World Cinema - but strectching to find new titles. Here's a few I watched recently:

Rififi (French: probably the best old Film Noir ever made).

Gomorra (Italian: great modern 'horrible' mafia movie).

Dnevnoy Dozor and Nochnoi Dozor (Russia: 'Day Watch' and 'Night Watch' - extremely entertaining supernatural nonsense).

I haven't seen a movie in a while, but we started watching an old BBC series from back in the 70s. It is called "Survivors". Unlike that horrible piece of trash that JJ Abrams put out (Revolution), this is a post apocalyptic series done right.

ALIEN - What a film!!!

mR Bean's Holiday!! lol it was funny!!

@diafol

Dnevnoy Dozor and Nochnoi Dozor (Russia: 'Day Watch' and 'Night Watch' - extremely entertaining supernatural nonsense).

I saw those 2 films a few years back. It's a good films to watch. I saw it in Russian verison not the dub english version.

Rififi (French: probably the best old Film Noir ever made).

Gomorra (Italian: great modern 'horrible' mafia movie).

Never heard or saw those 2 films.

The GodFather is always the best Itlaian Mafia movie.

@ObSys

I saw all of the Alien movies not related to Predator ones.

@tech-ultrasonic

mR Bean's Holiday!! lol it was funny!!

I'm not into comedy as much

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.