Member Avatar for diafol

Holy Motors looks really weird. May give it a go.

Member Avatar for diafol

Hey Pritaeas - any decent Dutch films out there (pref. in Dutch with subtitles)? Something that's not The Human Centipede? Action/Thiller/Detective/Weird?

"Ben X" was a pretty good Flemish movie (Dutch-Belgian).

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I can't wait to see SkyFall when it comes out next year.

My Best friend's Wedding it's an old movie.

I never heard of Holy Motors.

You mean After the Sunset not On the Sunset

OK, Holy Motors is actually a French Film.

I mean when it comes to French Films, this directors always pop up in my mind.

His name is Luc Besson. He wrote so many scripts and he's an OK director.

I saw this film last year and it was called The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec which he directed it was very good movie.

There's another film I saw a few years back it's called "Tell No One" it's wasn't directed by Luc Besson it was some other director name Guillaume Canet

I will put that on my list of films to watch. There's another reason I will watch the film because Kylie Minogue is in the film. Kylie Minogue very pretty.

The Human Centipede I heard of that film. I think I might pass on that movie! I can't believe you actually saw the whole film without losing your appetite. I think there's a sequel.

Ben X I never heard of that movie til now. I might rent that film.

If we're going down the road of French movies, there are plenty of good ones. Of course, the two-part classic "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des sources" is a must see classical epic. As for Luc Besson, his best film is no doubt Léon (The Professional), that's a real piece of art. For the others, Luc Besson's films are always entertaining with a touch of humor, definitely a good writer and a decent director, but he's definitely camped in the fun-action movie genre.

Le dîner de cons is really a hilarious movie (it helps if you understand French, of course). It is one of many on a long list of very funny French movies stained by a terrible American remake (other notables on the list include "Taxi", "3 hommes et un couffin" (Three Men and a Cradle), etc.).

"Tell No One" looks interesting. I definitely know Guillaume Canet's face (although he's not a memorable actor, better at directing, I hope) for going from being married to Diane Krüger to hooking up with Marion Cotillard... lucky bastard. Anyways, I'll probably check out that movie, partly because I love Marie-Josée Croze, she's a great actress and her movies are always good (especially Maelström).

Of course, in the French department, you can't forget Amélie, the ultimate feel-good movie.

On the French-canadian side, some notables are "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (especially funny to canadians), "C.R.A.Z.Y.", and "La grande seduction" and "Starbuck" (which are both apparently being remade in Hollywood, with the same great quebecois writer-director Ken Scott, so, there's a double chance Hollywood will break its streak of terrible remakes of foreign comedies).

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks mike, will give Ben X a go. As for weird French films - ever seen "La cité des enfants perdus"? Ron Perlman's in it. Not sure if it was supposed to be a kiddies film, but it disturbed me plenty.

The Human Centipede I heard of that film. I think I might pass on that movie! I can't believe you actually saw the whole film without losing your appetite. I think there's a sequel.

Even a third, or in the making.

As for dutch movies, perhaps The Discovery of Heaven or Character. There are a lot of movies about WWII, those are very decent: Soldier of Orange, Black Book, Winter in Wartime.

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks p, hope I have some time soon to check them out.

Just watched "The Way Back". Very nice book adaptation, well worth viewing.

Reminds me that "The Way" by Emilio Estevez is also a very excellent movie. Just came to mind.

I just watched Get the Gringo (Mel Gibson Film) in Netflix, and I watched Wreck it Ralph and Skyfall in theaters.

@mike_2000_17

I be honest with you I never saw Léon (The Professional). The only reason I remember Luc Besson is the movie 5th Element. It's an old movie but I'll rent it. I heard of that movie Amélie because it was on the Oscar award show but I never got a chance to see that one. I think I will rent it too.

@pritaeas

There are a lot of movies about WWII, those are very decent: Soldier of Orange, Black Book, Winter in Wartime.

Just watched "The Way Back". Very nice book adaptation, well worth viewing.

I like war movies. I never heard of Winter in Wartime or "The Way Back" I might rent it Winter in Wartime and "The Way Back". If I have time.

I don't know if you saw this movie called Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War. I saw it a few years back people say it remind them Saving Private Ryan. I mean the story is very different from Saving Private Ryan but the scene does look similiar but it's not it's more graphic. It's a good movie. I saw it in korean language not the english dub. What so sad that this war hasn't ended yet after all these years.

<MICHAEL>

I just watched Get the Gringo (Mel Gibson Film) in Netflix

I heard of that movie. I don't think it was in ther theatre instead it went straight to DVD.

I know, that's why i watched it in netfilx

You should watch get the gringo... it was amazingly written! It reminds you that Mel Gibson is a pure genius!

The film "In Time" has a very good and original storyline. Yeah, I know it's got Timberlake in it, but he doesn't spoil this excellent Sc-fi film.

I saw in time... But I did find that interesting... Not because of timberlake..

I hear star war is coming with its 7th episode and wolverine is coming :)

For those who like bizarre and reflective black / absurd humour, you need to see "Du Levande" (You, the Living). This is by Roy Andersson, an enigmatic Swedish writer-director who made very few movies (not his full-time job) but always weird, poetic atmosphere films with a touch of black / absurd humour.

<MICHAEL>

You should watch get the gringo... it was amazingly written! It reminds you that Mel Gibson is a pure genius!

I don't know about being a genuis. I will rent that Get the Gringo. I think the best movie he was in was Braveheart. I don't think you were born yet.

I saw Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto. Have you seen those?

You know what you should start watch foreign movies or World Cinema a polite way to say that.
You can learn a lot of things from different cultures by watch and reading subtitles in English about it.
All of the movies I watch has English subtitle even American movies now because I gotta used to it.

@BigPaw

The film "In Time" has a very good and original storyline. Yeah, I know it's got Timberlake in it, but he doesn't spoil this excellent Sc-fi film.

I haven't seen that movie yet.

@mike_2000_17

This is by Roy Andersson, an enigmatic Swedish writer-director who made very few movies (not his full-time job) but always weird, poetic atmosphere films with a touch of black / absurd humour.

I don't watch comedy much. Regardin about Swedish films I saw

The girl with the dragon tattoo. a few years back.

I think most people have seen that already.

I think the original film was much better.

Well, by my opinion Mel Gibson is talented... But I have seen apocalypto but I did not like it because i don't like that sort of style of movies... Brave heart and passion of Christ my parents have seen... I don't know if they liked them though...

I also saw super 8... That wasn't that bad but i really hate the movie Hugo... I don't care about the awards it has received... I hate it...

So yeah... I am an interesting movie critic :)

I am not much into foreign movies because when I watch them, I end up seeing the worst of their movies so i never see the best of their films... So my judgement on foreign movies is not great...

Tell me what you think of Get the gringo after you watch it :)

Member Avatar for diafol

I think the best movie he was in was Braveheart.

Oh no. Big bugdet films with big-headed screenwriters and egotistical directos and actors - completely bludgeoned the historical figure that was WW. Sometimes I wish Hollywood would leave history the hell alone. How may people will grow up thinking that WW sired the English kings to come?

@diafol

Oh no. Big bugdet films with big-headed screenwriters and egotistical directos and actors - completely bludgeoned the historical figure that was WW. Sometimes I wish Hollywood would leave history the hell alone. How may people will grow up thinking that WW sired the English kings to come?

I think Gibson and the writer Wallace did admit there was some historical inaccuracies in the film. I agree, sometime Hollywood does these kind of films just to make money.

So LastMitch, have you seen Get the Gringo :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.