Member Avatar for LastMitch

Just saw Argo. Well made.

I can't wait to see that.

Just finished watching Star Trek again on DVD, the one which shows the cred of the Enterprise while they were cadets. Very good movie, I hope they make a sequel.

You mean the new version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29

I like it too. The sequel coming out next year.

You mean the new version:

Yes.

I haven't seen that yet... do you recommend it?

Yes, if you like history. I can vaguely remember the situation.

Don't know about movies, cos I don't do much tv, but I did recently revisit (courtesy of the WWW.) some childhood tv progs. i can probably beat Ancient Dragon by a few years, by remembering Fireball XL5 on uk tv, hence the avatar change to 'Robbie the Robot' Ah!, such memories, and Ancient Dragon, I remember monochrome TV!

I'm watching Dr Who right now with Tom Baker from the 1970s. He was my favorite Dr.

and Ancient Dragon, I remember monochrome TV!

My dad bought the first TV I saw which had a round screen in B&W. I still remember him watching boxing at Madison Square Guardens.

Well, in the UK it was good old auntie beeb (The BBC), around 10:30 - 11:00 all programs finished, they played the national anthem, and then the white dot appeared in the middle of your screen, Auntie saying "Time for bed!"

I saw the The Sweeney . It's stars Ray Winstone & Ben Drew & Damian Lewis. It's cop movie. I enjoy it a lot. I got the DVD from a friend it doesn't have English subtitle. So I was having hard time understand British English accent.

So I was having hard time understand British English accent.

The problem was not the accent, it was the 'slang' thats used. we londoners use almost a different language, it's called "rhyming slang." Google it, you'll get a better idea.

@TonyG_cyprus

The problem was not the accent, it was the 'slang' thats used. we londoners use almost a different language, it's called "rhyming slang." Google it, you'll get a better idea.

Yes, I google it and find this site:

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/

Since I feel you saw the movie.

What is nit? In the end when Ray Winstone talk to the guy in the car and point the gun to him and he said you nit. What does that mean? I can't find it in the link.

commented: To Rectify what some retard did to LastMitch +0

Today I saw Deception (2008 film) it stars Ewan McGregor & Hugh Jackman. It was an awful film. The storyline looks simliar to The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Member Avatar for diafol

What is nit?

Nitwit. Awight guv?

commented: You have a good ear! +0

Cockneys vs Zombies (very low budget but a hoot) folloed by Dusk 'Til Dawn (meh). The former contains an explanation of why one character feels "Trafalgers" is proper Cockney slang for "Zombies".

Trafalgars
Trafalgar Square
Fox and Hare
Hairy Greek
Five day week
Weak and feeble
Pins and needles
Needle and stitch
Abercrombie and Fitch
Abercrombie
Zombie

Makes perfect sense.

I've just watched 'Monsters' again. A very interesting and thoughtful film, you are led through a wonderful journey. It's on my list of top five films. :)

@diafol

Nitwit. Awight guv?

OK,

Nitwit means A silly or foolish person (often as a general term of abuse).

I get it Thanks!

@Reverend Jim

I heard of that movie Cockneys vs Zombies. I think I might have to watch the movie first than come back and look at your list. So I can have a better understand how to said the word.

@BigPaw

I've just watched 'Monsters' again. A very interesting and thoughtful film, you are led through a wonderful journey. It's on my list of top five films. :)

I saw that movie. It was a good movie.

I went and saw Skyfall in theaters last night. I'm not typically a James Bond fan but I enjoyed the movie.

i saw sky fall, but I wasn't that impressed by it.

Watched Iron Man yesterday...

Just an alert to you all. Never, ever, ever, ever, get skyfall mixed up with Skyline, ever...

Why would someone mistaken an alien invasion over the legendary 007 lol?

Member Avatar for diafol

Saw the new(ish) Spiderman. Ok IMO. Short skirts and high boots were more interesting than the action. Don't know if that's sad or not.

Actually it wasn't very noticeable by my opinion, what was noticeable was that the story line is nearly the same as the first spiderman...

I didn't saw the new one but do enjoy the 3 last installment with Toby as Spiderman.

i think the new actor is pretty good.

A Beautiful Mind - a biographical film portrayed by the brilliant Russell Crowe. John Nash developed the principle of Game Theory - it has more to do with economics than with XBox or PS3, although because it is a principle it can be applied universally. Don't read any spoilers on this film before you see it. It has an astounding twist which provides a very real lesson of human endeavour in the face of adversity... I was about to use another cliche, but that may have been a spoiler in itself. :D

I've enjoyed it many times.

RE: A Beautiful Mind. I really enjoyed it as well, but I've learned that "based on a true story" can mean various things. It can mean (some day I will rant about the movie Iron Will)

1. we created characters for the sake of the story
  2. we combined characters for the sake of the story
  3. we made s##t up just for the hell of it
  4. we out and out lied about everything

In the case of this movie, the sin was leaving out all of the unsavory aspects of Nash's character to make him more sympathetic.

And Russel Crowe was amazing.

I think its an accepted fact that the film will diverge from the book, and to some degree it's necessary because there are many things a book can do that video can't. However, like you say, making stuff up is improper.

In "A Beautifull Mind" nothing significant is really lost, I don't think.

I also like A Beautiful Mind. It was a really good movie. It's really hard to separate fiction from fact but it manage to trick your mind

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.