Member Avatar for iamthwee

Guys I'm just in the process of gaining weight and training properly.

I just wondered what might be your training routines. Post and share them here.

Mondays:
-I do bench press, free weights I start of light then go straight into heavy sets. I also do bicep curls and triceps.

Tuesdays:
Abs and squats.

Wednesdays:
Clean and jerk. I love this because it exercises every muscle in your body and good for overall core strength.

Thursdays: Rest

Fridays:
Forearms, which involves winding up a 10kg weight on a bar and then shoulders and calves.

Weekends: Rest.

Additionally, I eat like a monster, so I have a protein shake straight after then try to eat as much chicken or steak and mixed with fruit and vegetables.

So what's your routines and what do you do?

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

Though a little high in cholesterol, shrimp are a great source of protein with low calories.

Grilled/Steamed shrimp (3oz) can net about 85 calories with 18g of protein, but with 120mg of cholesterol.

I just wondered what might be your training routines. Post and share them here.

This is my current routine:

Mon: Upper body (bench press, rows, pull ups, biceps curls, triceps extensions)
Tue: Lower body (leg press, leg curls, calf raises, back extensions, crunches)
Wed: Rest
Thu: Upper body (same as Monday)
Fri: Lower body (same as Tuesday)
Sat: Rest
Sun: Rest

All weights are no heavier than my 5 rep max and no lighter than my 12 rep max. I try to stay in the 5x10 set/rep range for working sets, but adjust according to how I feel that day. Due to nagging injuries I tend toward machines rather than free weights, which hasn't hampered my results in the slightest. But it's a shame because I love deadlifting.

Additionally, I eat like a monster

I follow IIFYM tailored to a lean bulk presently. No shakes or supplements beyond fiber and a multivitamin, just food.

Though a little high in cholesterol, shrimp are a great source of protein with low calories.

Dietary cholesterol only affects serum cholesterol in people who are sensitive to it, and that's pretty rare. The whole "cholesterol in your food gives you heart disease" has been debunked for a while now. In fact, there's been some long term observational evidence that low cholesterol diets tend to increase risk of CVD.

And I doubt anyone actively trying to gain muscle and consume protein will have any trouble getting enough. It's more likely that they'll get too much. And by too much I mean significant diminishing returns on muscle protein synthesis and either consuming excess calories to fill in fat and carbs or sacrificing fat and carbs to hit an unrealistic calorie target given the high amount of protein.

From what I've seen, people who are trying to build muscle eat waaaaay too much protein and waaaaay too little fat. End result: sad floppy dick syndrome, because dietary fat is important for hormonal balance. ;)

@james,

Nice... I love doing free weights because it helps so much with my form. On the bench press I even take of clamps so I'm making sure both arms are moving upwards at exactly the same height and touching my chest.

I really can't stand the smith machine but that's just me. I also love working the lower body as well, we all know this is where the bulk building magic takes place and I see too many people focus on their upper body and completely neglect the lower body.

Dead lifting is my bread and butter, well actually if you can do the clean and jerk it works everything - dead lift, shoulders (shrug) and then thighs as you push up. It defo gets the testosterone going.

I cut down on the cardio as I was doing both weights and cardio after realising it was getting in the way of my weight gains.

And yeah, great advice, eat lots of proteins but also gets your fats in. In fact, it is a little know fact but I actually do a whole day fast on sunday which is great when you've been eating like a monster all week.

The only issue is it costs a lot buying all that chicken and meat.

This is my current routine:

Walk past entrance to gym (which is located in the same converted mill where I rent an office) at 6am

Enter own office at 6.05am

Leave office at 1pm

Walk past gym entrance at 1.05pm

Repeat daily

commented: :D +0
commented: lol! +0
commented: what about sleep, food, tv, and daniwebbing? +0

Varies for me as I work away from home and don't venture into hotel gyms to often but generally involves three different sessions across 3-4 days depending on how long im home for.

Push: (chest, shoulders, triceps)
- 5 min warmup on treadmill
- Press-ups: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, couple of seconds rest between each
- Dumbell press: 8-4-8 format x 3 sets
- Incline bench press: 15 reps x 3 sets
- Shoulder push: press 12 reps x 3 sets
- Arnold press: 12 reps x 3 sets
- Close grip bench press (triceps): 12 reps x 3 sets
- Unassisted dips to fail into 5 reverse technique dips x 3 sets
- 5 mins cooldown on treadmill

Pull: (back, shoulders, biceps)
- superset: widegrip unassisted pullups to failure into lat pulldown 10 reps , 3 sets
- superset: deadlifts 15 reps into bent-over-row 10 reps x 3 sets
- upright row: 12 reps x 3 sets
- underarm plate raise: 12 reps x 3 sets
- bicep curl: 70 reps in as few sets as possible, can be done multiple times with gradually lighter weights

Legs: (legs, funnily enough)
- superset: 20 squats into 8 lunges into 20 dumbell squats x 3 sets
- calf raises: 10 fast 10 slow x 5 sets
- leg extension machine: 12 reps x 3 sets
- jumps onto flat bench: 10 x 3 reps
- 15 min cooldown on crosstrainer raising calfs on each step

I need to start fitting abs in again somewhere...

All exercises are done with high intensity in mind, usually working rest with my training partner and then 1 min rest between exercise switches.

In terms of supplements I have protein shakes, creatine, preworkout and fatburners (not used at all recently I just have some), however I'm currently not using any, cycled off them so body doesnt get used to, will resume using the shakes, creatine and preworkout properly.

My diet is shocking currently though due to working away from home so need to work on sorting that out eventually.

IF I do venture into the hotel gyms I tend to either do random weight workouts with free weights and machines or go for a run/row. Started doing 10k rows twice a week a while back but stopped, might start doing that again. Think I was managing it in about 45 minutes.

My diet is shocking currently though due to working away from home so need to work on sorting that out eventually

Diet is the one thing I do have going for me, being a Vegan and avoiding high fat food groups for good measure.

Diet is the one thing I do have going for me, being a Vegan and avoiding high fat food groups for good measure.

Aye I'm currently working away from home at my companies expense so I get money a night to spend on food, and we are surrounded by nice restaurants. So eating healthily rarely happens, the healthiest meal I can get up here is a Nandos...

Ironically, eating out is something I do very rarely as it is so hard to find decent vegan food.

Heh, I'd happily not eat out and be able to eat properly for training however a hotel room is pretty limiting for cooking and so restaurants seem the only option.

Am quite looking forward to hopefully being based closer to home come January so I can sort my diet out then and lose the effect working away from home has on you.

@imathewee, my friend gave me this ecopy of a famous book called Big Beyond Belief, it takes a really scientific approach to working out, and explains in essential details of eating/form/training/resting and everything else. At the end it gives you a choice of 3 optimal workout that you can choose from, 4-day 1 workout per day, 6-day 1 workout per day, 6-day 2 workout per day. The last one is claimed to be the most efficient and has faster growth but each one is listed to accomidate most people's schedual. Let me know if you want a copy. FYI, you have to be serious about it though. So far, its been good to me.

I climb a minimum of 1 day a week but that's it at the moment (I've just moved house and started a new job).

I've refused to join a gym so far because I wanted to get ripped without one but might give in soon (not that i've been trying at home).

Climbing is amazing though, especially for your upper body, core and hands(until you start ripping skin off or crimping too hard) plus it gets the heart going !

@Chris, I used to do indoor climbing myself, need to get back into it, not that I remember how to do any of the knots now xD

I mostly do indoor due to not knowing enough people who want to go outdoors but i get out as often as possible. You should get back into it, bouldering is big these days but sport/ lead climbing wins every time for me!

I used to just go as a junior with my dad, suppose I dont count as a junior anymore so would probably need to requalify to climb alone

You just need to know the basics really, how to tie a figure of 8, put a harnes on and belay properly. I do a lot of bouldering lately, all you need is shoes and chalk so I don't have to find someone who is free to climb and it's short but powerfull routs!

Haha its been a long time lets say that!

Yeah I've seen a couple of the bouldering walls, never used to have the strength to do them properly but thats before I started training. We have liquid grip chalk stuff for gym so could just use that I suppose :)

I am only walk daily in morning time and evening time. I can't join any gym.

I don't gym like the other guys here but yes I go for a 25 mins walk every morning sharp at 6. This has been my regime for the past one month and four days and I must say that it is actually helping me get rid of my belly fat that I lately acquired. Apart from this belly fat I can be called a fit person.

I usually do 8 miles on treadmill 4 times a week at home, when I have enough time I do cross-country on a 12-14 miles distance. Run Forrest, run!

I usually do 8 miles on treadmill 4 times a week at home, when I have enough time I do cross-country on a 12-14 miles distance. Run Forrest, run!

Wish I had the cardio fitness to be able to do that :p

It's a matter of time and patience, start little (20 minutes) and slow and increase five minutes per week, in few months you can run for an hour easily :)

Might have to try that actually and see!

An alternative is to jump rope. You can actually do much more cardio whilst jumping rope than running. (well in the same time)

Here's a question, I've noticed when I'm lifting heavy I break out in acne. I've read a few sources and it seems the increase in testosterone seems to be the culprit. It's quite annoying and has forced me to stop for a week. Thankfully, after a few days the acne subsides but this is a pain as I want to make weights gains.

I was wondering what to do. I'm going to the docs today so I might get some advice from them. But other than spending less time in the gym and do less compound exercises I don't know what to do. Test is the reason to bulk up! Dilemma.

Hmm you could probably get some sort of acne face wash etc or the doctor can point you the right direction.

An alternative is to jump rope. You can actually do much more cardio whilst jumping rope than running. (well in the same time)

Sometimes do a bit of jump rope while waiting for my training partner to finish sets while doing arms DTP training. Just for fun though, never thought about it from a serious cardio perspective.

The gym I'm at do training sessions jumping rope. It's pretty hardcore.

We also have a crossfit stuff, like hoops hanging from the ceiling. I did cross fit once, OMG, forget everything else, even boxing is no match for crossfit fitness.

I will try some acne face washes but its the increase in test that seems to be the culprit grrr.

Vitamin D is good for your skin, people used to go on the sunbeds to get rid of spots but it's obviously not good for you so take vitamin D suppliments instead, see if they work or at least help.

I've never done crossfit, always wanted to but it looks intence and my stamina is abysmal, I'd be feeling sick if i ran a mile in about 10 mins !

What exercises are best to get ripped and get a solid core ?

I'm 6.1 and only 82.5kg but don't really want to bulk up so I can stay light... ish.

I'd say without any doubt is your bread and butter.

So dead lifts, squats and bench presses clean and jerk. They are you core exercises. If you want to get ripped and not so much bulk up then you need to combine a bit of cardio in there as well.

In fact all the cross fit exercises are great for getting ripped. If you see their physiques .

I've heard cross-fit is an absolute killer indeed.

I've heard cross-fit is an absolute killer indeed.

Yeah just youtube a vid from the crossfit games and you'll sweat just looking at it. The only thing that comes close is boxing training, but it's still far far behind the intensity of cross fit.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.