I just got Windows 8 Pro installed on my touch-screen PC, pretty nice so far. Bought it today at Best Buy for only $65.95 USD, which is about 1/2 normal price. Everything went smoothly with no problems at all, took, about 1 1/2 hours. I installed it as an upgrade to Windows 7 and had it retain all my windows settings and files.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

One advantage I have seen so far here at DaniWeb is that when I use the Code button I don't have to refresh the screen to see the results (line numbers, etc.). I don't know if this is something that Dani changed recently or the result of Windows 8/Chrome. In either event, it's a nice feature that has been the source of some frustration with DaniWeb's markup language.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@AD

One advantage I have seen so far here at DaniWeb is that when I use the Code button I don't have to refresh the screen to see the results (line numbers, etc.). I don't know if this is something that Dani changed recently or the result of Windows 8/Chrome. In either event, it's a nice feature that has been the source of some frustration with DaniWeb's markup language.

I have Window 7 I used Firefox/Chrome. For the code button, I still have to refreshed the screen in order to see the line numbers. So Window 8 solve that issue?
Wow, Is there any other advantage beside that?

Is there any other advantage beside that?

Probably. One thing: no Start menu. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided we didn't need to access the Control Panel. However, all isn't lost, there is a free app that adds it back.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Probably. One thing: no Start menu. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided we didn't need to access the Control Panel. However, all isn't lost, there is a free app that adds it back.

Wow, that is neat! I just got Window 7 two years ago. I don't know if it's worth upgrading so soon.

You're right it's on sale. It's cost $199 dollars since it is on sale it cut down from $199 dollars to $65 dollars. That's $130 dollars off. That's really good deal.

For under five dollars you can buy a program from Stardock called start8. It can be used to restore the start button and make the Windows desktop the default environment. You can also disable some other annoying Windows 8 features. You can try it for 30 days free. I'm currently looking at it in a Windows 8 virtual machine environment.

I discovered the Start button was just replaced by a hidden menu on the right side of the screen. If you have a touch screen just slide a finder from the right side of the screen left and a menu will appear that, among other things, contains a link to the Control Panel.

Reverend@ the Start app I installed is free, not a trial version.

I have also seen a start button app called Win8 Start Button but it doesn't quite give you a Windows 7 feel. Which one are you using?

I'm using Win8 Start Button. Not quite the same as Windows 7 but close enough. I also noticed the calculator program is missing, so I downloaded a trial version of one because I use it every once in awhile.

When I played around with 8 (briefly) there was a single registry key that you could change to disable metro and use a more Win7 looking desktop. I think the below article was the key that worked. I don't know if this is still possible in the final version of 8.

Disable Metro UI - Techmell

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.