Are you allowed to sue someone for using the exact colors with similar logo design...

My neighbor got sued by REMAX because of same colors and design...

It depends if the design is trademarked :)

Are you allowed to sue someone for using the exact colors with similar logo design...

Logo, yes.

Colours, no. Imagine how hard that would be... You'd have to go all the way back in history to William Henry Perkin (1856) who discovered it.. There would be no way to get a Patent for any colours, even on colour schemes.

My neighbor was sued for using the same colors but their design styles were similar... bold and had a way of seperating the 2 words.

I don't think REMAX has trademarked the style of their logo. I remember when i read the letter from the lawyer, the reason he put was:

color and similar style

I noticed that the company goes after small companies, but nobody sues them because there are many companies that use their style and colors in their industry.

@<MICHAEL> If we're talking about "Layouts" etc.. Then usually you can copyright these, as, these have been designed by someone.. If you're talking about colour schemes then no, it's impossible IMO. You could have someone say "I own the colours in the order of BLUE, RED, PURPLE" but people have been using these on their products / mixing these colours for centuries. Get my point?

EDIT: There is also a massive Patent war going on between companies. Of course major companies will go after small companies via patents because they want full domination. It's when you get people like Google, Apple, Microsoft all battling, that's what causes problems, or, problems on a larger scale.

If we're talking about "Layouts" etc.. Then usually you can copyright these, as, these have been designed by someone.. If you're talking about colour schemes then no, it's impossible IMO. You could have someone say "I own the colours in the order of BLUE, RED, PURPLE" but people have been using these on their products / mixing these colours for centuries. Get my point?

Well I knew that, but I don't think REMAX knew that... :)

In the USA since 1995 colors have trademark protection according the rhe USSC (United States Supreme Court) (click here). Trademarks are different from patents and copyright.

The last facelift to complete the purple scheme seemed to gel things together a bit better for me. There were many other changes implemented during the same period (a year ago?). I like the colour shades. They are strong, noble yet friendly and warm.

Do you mean back in March when we switched off of vBulletin onto a proprietary platform?

March, i don't remember it being any different color... I joined in March and the site's colors look similar...

its nice and decent color. i like daniweb the way it is

Take Note... It's also a friendly user interface

Purple also stands out...

Black !!! :D

I really want to see dark themes!

Well, I like purple color and in fact it is one of my favorite color. So I like the daniweb's theme but still if I had to choose some other color then I will go for royal blue.

Doesn't everyone like blue?

Member Avatar for diafol

I remember kicking up a royal stink over the purple dominance following the vomit-yellow theme that I loved. The much-maligned yellow theme had a hint of purple in it too, but that was bearable. Imagine my horror at being confronted with a tech version of iCarly!?!

Spend too much time on DW and I guarantee the purpleness will make you ride side-saddle on your little pony. Gives me a bad back. :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.