I guess music and film production companies (entertainment industry) have persuaded internet service providers to "educate and inform, not "punish" copyright violators. Apparently, one of the ISPs plans on slowing Mbps if necessary. This seems like it is crossing the line because ISP's are only supposed to provide internet service, not directly or indirectly regulate and curtail online practices. It's the principle of the matter that bothers me.
It makes me think of the recent sim card ban on cell phones which makes it illegal to unlock a phone and use it with a different mobile provider than the original one. The argument for the ban is the mobile providers' business model is centered on phone contracts. The argument for lifting the ban is that unlocking a phone doesn't get a person out of a contract, it just gives them other alternatives. Plus, what about people who pay for their phones in full without any sort of contract. Lastly, I remember the SOPA/PIPA scare a couple years ago. That was crazy to think about the potential ramifications. I just hope the internet stays free. That's what makes it so cool. However, big time companies like, for example, Comcast would love to come in through the backdoor and get their hands in the cookie jar.

What we know as the internet now will disappear, eventually. The internet from back in the 90's has already vanished.

It will probably end up the way of many other things and sold to you in packages. It will become a forum for big businesses and professionals. Amateur websites will become a thing of the past. You will be sold the internet in packages, much like how Sky TV sells you bundles of channels. You will get the "Social Networking" package. The "Funny Websites" package and a "News" package. An avid backer of this model is Richard Branson.

Legislation is driven by business and/or the need to control information. "Freedom" is irrelevent; it hurts profit margins :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.