Hello

Im trying to send emails from my eCommence site and seems not to work. It works on my local server though so I know it is not a configuration issue. Is there a way I can try out if the port is blocked or not?

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Wouldn't it be easier to ask your host?

Asked but they say it is open. Highly doubt it...

You could always use telnet to determine if the destination host is listenting on a target port. Say for instance you want to verify if a target system is running the SMTP service, or if you want to verify that you can reach the destination through a firewall or other filtering device. From a computer within your network, open a command prompt and type...

telnet destination_IP__or_hostName 25

If the destination host is listening on that port, you will get a blinking cursor on the screen. If not, the telnet client will inform you that it was unable to make a connection. Of course, for this to work, you need to have telnet installed on the source computer. The more recent versions of Windows have removed the telnet client. You can add it back through Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Install Telnet Client

You could always use telnet to determine if the destination host is listenting on a target port. Say for instance you want to verify if a target system is running the SMTP service, or if you want to verify that you can reach the destination through a firewall or other filtering device. From a computer within your network, open a command prompt and type...

telnet destination_IP__or_hostName 25

If the destination host is listening on that port, you will get a blinking cursor on the screen. If not, the telnet client will inform you that it was unable to make a connection. Of course, for this to work, you need to have telnet installed on the source computer. The more recent versions of Windows have removed the telnet client. You can add it back through Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Install Telnet Client

Wouldnt I have to telnet/SSH into the web hosting and then from there telnet/SSH back out?

Ah, sorry my mistake in not reading thoroughly... I did not assume that you were referring to a web site hosted on a shared platform. I had assumed that you had access to the server and that it was just being hosted with a provider.

So if you have access to the web code, I'm sure that you can develop a page to perform a similar test, at least I know this can be done using ASP.NET.

If you are limited as to what you can do to check from within the hosting provider, then your only option is to get support from the provider. If they say it can be done, can they provide you with something you can run from your site?

Wouldn't it be easier to ask your host?

Asked but they say it is open. Highly doubt it...

I seriously doubt any webhost worth their money would block outgoing SMTP, that would be close to commercial suicide. Some free hosts however, may block them. In any case, they have no reason to lie about a port block.

I agree with JorgeM, you should be able to write a page that you can upload that will test every stage of sending an email with verbose diagnostic output. Then you can see where it's failing, if at all.

It's entirely possible that the server/clients are rejecting it as spam, especially if that host uses an IP range that has be placed in the SpamHaus database.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.