If you evaluate yourself, how much do you think you have improved in one year in web design? For me in one year I went from not being able to adjust a color of the link to making pretty dynamic websites that would look pretty cool/nice. I make mistakes here and there and ask questions here and there but hey, I have improved a lot thanks to the assistance of the daniwebbers themselves. (i improved a whole lot when you think about it). Also, in softwawre developement, i am improving but i am still a noob but i will get better.

So evaluate yourself, how much do you think you have improved? A lot, little, kind of, etc.

(Mods, you can move this thread if you want)

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

It took you a year to do that?

In the past year I have moved from a hello world application in c#, to confidently using if-else statements to write different outputs, still including hello world.

commented: Absolutely awesome. Wish I could do that! :D +0

Nope, still not understanding why my hello world isn't working... I think I'm unlearning.

commented: rofl... +0

Did you try reinstalling Windows?

commented: I turned it off and on? +0

Nope, still not understanding why my hello world isn't working... I think I'm unlearning.

What've you got so far? I'm sure the forum can help you out!

I'm sure the forum can help you out!

What do you think this is? Ancient Rome?!

What do you think this is? Ancient Rome?!

No, THIS... IS... SPARTA

commented: lol... +0

This is what I have:

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++.+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
commented: your just missing the hello world part +0

Oh I see! You forgot to divide by the linear momentum of a comet traversing behind the sun at the perihelion!

It took you a year to do that?

What... that is a lot of change... if you think about it. I was a simple teen (involved heavily in school, sports, etc.) but when programming came around, I thought i can make something out of it, it also inspired me to continue trading :)... also time was a big problem, it isn't easy fitting everything in one schedule (ketsuekiame, don't ask me why i am always on Daniweb lol (if you were wondering, it is because i get a notification on my phone/computer/tablet))

Looks like we all have improved a lot, espicially pritaeas :)

This year, I will mostly be learning....POTATOES

(For the non-British, this is a reference to The Fast Show)

I wouldn't know how to rate my learning in the past year. I went from knowing basically nothing about SSIS and writing SQL statements (other than basic select statements) to creating a database that uses SSIS to perform ETL processes that load millions of records into the db each month. My VBA skills keep improving too with regards to automating Excel workbooks. If I wasn't a fulltime student I would be learning and advancing even more.

There's still so much more to learn too, I'm lucky this site exists to help me learn when I get stuck.

My area of work prior to finding this site just a little over a year ago has been in Computer Networking, Windows Networing. I came accross this site when I decided to pick up some development. So in about a few months, I got, what I feel, was a pretty good grasp of HTML and CSS and basic JavaScript. With regard to JavaScript, jQuery, and ASP.NET, I'm in the process of diving in deeper. I feel very fortunate to have helped others in this community, which really has helped me learn as well, and I've worked on a few web projects for several organizations.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I learn alot. I don't know anything about programing even though I have a BS in Computer Science.
The only website I actually fixed (modify) was a friend of mine who run a fruit business. I had to add a feature. Ever since then I been on Daniweb learning PHP everyday. I also learning HTML, CSS, javascript, and jQuery and ASP.net. I'm also trying to learn PHP framework and learning OOP and I hope I can switch career again to work for firm.

I'm not a programmer, I'm more a Network Tech.

Kinda similiar to diafol who is a teacher by day but he does programming by night.

Another words, I'm not a programmer I don't do this for a living but I hope I can soon.

commented: self-betterment should be everyone's goal - nice one! +0

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++.+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.

Oh god, is that brainf...udge? I was initially going to jokingly ask if you were using that godforsaken language, but it seems you already are...

I gave up on trying to learn web design -- too boring. I like something that gives me a challenge, like c and c++.

Well JorgeM and LastMitch, you really impressed me, I assumed that you were both time served programmers in php html css etc. by your answers. I think I've improved a lot since using Daniweb often, I don't work in the job, I'm a hobbyist, I just like to write things that work, then I file them, and start something else, just on my dev machine. I do occasionaly put something up on a free server, but only so friends can feedback. This is an online game I started, but then got fed up...maybe I'll resurect it one day....

Well JorgeM and LastMitch, you really impressed me, I assumed that you were both time served programmers in php html css etc. by your answers

I appreciate that...I am by no means a seasoned programmer, although I do enjoy it. I like problem solving so that's what attracks me to development.

I think I've improved a lot since using Daniweb often.....I just like to write things that work, then I file them, and start something else, just on my dev machine

I can validate that the approach you described is very helpful. That's pretty much how I improved in the web development area. While reading and trying to answer questions posted in the forums, I'd try to replicate the problem, find the solution, then customize and improve it if possible, then file it away in case I need it in the future.

Well JorgeM and LastMitch, you really impressed me, I assumed that you were both time served programmers in php html css etc. by your answers.

Like JorgeM mention I appreciate that. I also by no mean a programmer. I'm still learning. I also at the same time help members with issues then I learn something from it. I have a long way to go to get fluent in it.

I went from knowing nothing at all about Android development to completing and rolling out a fully operational IT-on-call-service-rotation app to our company...complete with phone, calendar and e-mail integration. Still doesn't do geo-location, but I'm working on that.

Now my boss (bless his innocent executive heart) wants me to do an iOS version for the iPhone.

Somehow, I get the impression he doesn't quite realize what he's asking for. :-(

Now my boss (bless his innocent executive heart) wants me to do an iOS version for the iPhone.

learning creating apps is not on my list. I think web-development is good enough for me. No software development it's too complex for me.

I have one too! My fault, I tend to answer 'No Problem!' and then try to work out how after he's gone... Has led me to some awkward spots.......

I have one too! My fault, I tend to answer 'No Problem!' and then try to work out how after he's gone... Has led me to some awkward spots...

This is the first time I heard something like this. I mean I know you work for a company and sometime your bosses ask you to do something and you do.

It's really strange your bosses ask you to do something like that without know how much time and work involved.

Welcome, Neo, to the world.of the real... :-)

commented: LOL +0

Welcome, Neo, to the world.of the real... :-)

I guess I been living in a different world.

I gave up on trying to learn web design -- too boring. I like something that gives me a challenge, like c and c++.

I've always enjoyed web design; personally it offers me challenges which I like, but I also enjoy the type of challenges that programming offers too. Perhaps you weren't pushing yourself enough with web desing? ;) Oh well, each to their own I guess.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.