Hello all,

I have been on the internet trying to learn as much as I can about Visual Basic and I found this website. With over a million members and helpful articles, I know I want to be a part of this community.

I am a IT consultant for small businesses in Louisiana while I work on my Chemical Engineering degree. This semester I enrolled into a Visual Basic class which requires me to use VB to solve real life problems. The main goal is to have a good knowledge of programming so that we can gain efficiency during unit operations that normal operators can't get. For example, a program that reads the outside temperature could account for outside temperature change and change certain settings in a unit operation to gain efficincy. This is something that humans just cannot do in a resonable time....

I was rambling, but I am glad to have found this site and I hope that I can grow within this community and become a better programmer.

Regards,

CW

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hello and welcome.

Welcome, this site is seconde to none, I'm sure you'll learn everything you need to know here when problems arise.

hello...welcome to daniweb :)

Hello, CW.

Welcome to the DaniWeb forums. We are glad you joined us.

These forums are an excellent resource: lots of good information and many knowledgeable members here.

It is a great place for the sharing of ideas. I am sure you will learn a lot here.

See you around the forums.

Hello and Welcome to the world of daniweb. :)

welcome to Daniweb.

I find VB, Foxpro applications stopped working in Windows OS 7 and upward..

@bala.haren

I have been having troubles with VB, not sure if it related to windows 7. I installed it and can't do alot of things, mainly math. This has mean't that I am forced to be at school to work on my projects.

Which version of Visual Studio are you running? Did you know that Visual Studio is free to students with a valid school email from Microsoft's Dreamspark site?

@ stuugie

Thank you!! I just signed up on the dreamspark site. I had no idea that it was available. I can't wait to getb home and install visual studio 2012 or should I stick with Visual Basic Express? All i need is Visual Basic for now.

I didn't bother with the express versions so I can't comment on them. The last time I installed VS I used 2010 and I was/am very happy with it. As a student, you should take advantage of most of the software provided by dreamspark, I did.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.