This is something to show to bosses who do thing that taking breasks is lazyness:

http://postimg.org/image/3xq7pyolx/

it is from book PHP team development

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

the link doesn't work.

I just tried and for me it did. Maybe lets wait for another response

lol, why not convince every boss to let us have fun in the office (I wouldn't ever know what that is like until later on...)

There is a difference between having fun and taking a break. My office is near a park so when I get stuck on a problem or really frustrated I take a break by going for a walk, usually by the time I get back to the office I have figured out the solution to my problem or at least have a clear plan to go forwards - much more productive than just randomly changing things or forcing myself to write any old rubbish.

I didn't have a problem with the link. I wholeheartedly agree with what that book said. Caution: never, ever drink alcohol on your breaks because any code written by you afterwards will be garbage.

I didn't have a problem with the link.

I switched computers and then it worked... unless he fixed the link.

That was no joke in the 1980s. I'd start a compile and then read a book.

That was no joke in the 1980s. I'd start a compile and then read a book.

Well, it's no joke today either. If I compile my entire code-base, it takes about 1 hour 40 min., or 50 min. on 2 cores. Of course, you avoid full re-compilation as much as possible, but it can still mean frequent 15-30 minutes forced breaks (at least, from coding). The way a friend in the computer game industry described it, that cartoon seems quite accurate actually, they even have LAN game servers for Minecraft or Starcraft running continuously because at any given time there are always enough people who have nothing else to do while they wait for their code to compile.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

it is from book PHP team development

I like it and I agree with it.

if there is compilation time, you can have another computer and do more something serious :) but of course that aplies only if compilation too long

I once had to compile the Chromium source code on a Celeron laptop with 512Mb of RAM. Took 14 hours and the build failed, best 3 days off ever ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.