I'm soon to be a graduate in Computer Science with enough relevant experience to enter a good paying job as soon as I graduate. Having done software development however I'm not sure if it satisfies me on a personal level. The money's good... but the work is very repetitive and never feels like you're doing something that will have an impact in the world or the sciences. It will pay well but due to the hours one has to work in their life (8 hours per day) - I really don't think I can do software development for that long a period and be satisfied with my life when I look back, say when I'm 60 years old +.

What is a rewarding career that one can go on to from a degree like mine. Rewarding for me is something where a lot of people will benefit from something I'm producing OR it will make the world a better place OR it will give travel opportunities OR it will allow me more control over the work I'm doing OR it will provide me with the chance to do research into new interesting topics of study - any of those.

I've spoken to a few colleagues in the same profession and a lot of them seem to have the same view though they're hesitant to have it heard so to keep up an image but I hope some answers can be given that will be good advice to me and those with similar thoughts.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Having done software development however I'm not sure if it satisfies me on a personal level.

Find a job you can tolerate and which doesn't eat up all of your time. When you see a better opportunity, take it. Don't forget that a job is nothing more than how you acquire money to live an enjoyable life. If you're one of those lucky people who can find a job that's rewarding, more power to you, but beware unrealistic expectations.

You are not even in the job yet, so don't take anything for granted. Many people are looking for a job and cannot find it, so IF you actually get hired, appreciate it.

Once you are there, take the opportunities to learn new things. Many people make the mistake of entering a job and focusing on their particular field of specialization--only. I think that is a mistake. Most employers will give employees exposure to other software packages (e.g. - CMS Software, ERP Software, Accounting Software, etc.) and different technologies. Make sure you learn about them when you get the opportunity. Having more to put on your resume makes the next job come sooner and easier. Gradually work your way in to the job you want.

Another bit of advice: usually it is not the job itself that makes it or breaks it for you; it is the people you work with. So don't be surprised if you find your dream job but can't stand the people you work with. Bad co-workers can turn a dream job into a hell for you. Some of the best jobs are actually not doing the specific job you want, but working with people you enjoy spending 8+ hours a day with.

commented: great post +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Some of the best jobs are actually not doing the specific job you want, but working with people you enjoy spending 8+ hours a day with.

What a brilliant statement. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.