http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany

Adolf Hitler was a heavy smoker in his early life — he used to smoke 25 to 40 cigarettes daily — but gave up the habit, concluding that it was a waste of money. In later years, Hitler viewed smoking as "decadent" and "the wrath of the Red Man against the White Man, vengeance for having been given hard liquor", lamenting that "so many excellent men have been lost to tobacco poisoning". He was unhappy because both Eva Braun and Martin Bormann were smokers and was concerned over Hermann Göring's continued smoking in public places. He was angered when a statue portraying a cigar-smoking Göring was commissioned. Hitler is often considered to be the first national leader to advocate nonsmoking, although James VI and I of Great Britain has a better claim to that title by three hundred years.

In Russian version of the article there are such words by Hitler (translation by Google):

I am a long time was very bad in Vienna. A few months I have not eaten a hot meal. I ate stale bread and milk. But spent thirteen kreutzers a day on cigarettes. Smoked 25 to 40 cigarettes a day. But then Kreutzer was more than ten pfennig today. And once I got the idea: what if I do not spend 13 Kreuzer on cigarettes and buy oil and make sandwiches? This will take 5 Kreuzer, and I still have money left over. Soon I threw the cigarettes into the Danube and never touched them not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.