I hate how the geeks in films can hack into anything the baddie wants within seconds.

Or in sci-fi programs where they can just plug their earth computers into the alien's systems to hack it.

Independence Day was repeatedly criticized for the unlikely plot device of Earth computers being able to infect an alien ship (with alien technology) with a computer virus. What is overlooked is that all of Earth's computer technology was supposedly developed based on that same alien technology which was recovered from the alien ship that was recovered previously. Knowing that, it is not so unlikely that the virus was capable of infecting the alien computers.

One thing that really bothers me is that all computers make sounds.
And that their typing is off with what happens on the screen.

You always know the characters are going to be okay, because there has got to be another episode with that character in.

Have you noticed this pattern in every episode of any tv show
- Previously on..
- New issue/new villain
- Series introduction (short video)
- Commercials
- Things are getting worse
- Commercials
- The hero have no chance what so ever of saving the day
- Commercials
- The hero saves the day
- Commercials
- But wait there's more/Everybody is happy/New dilemma
- glimpses of what will happen on the next episode
- Credits

You always know the characters are going to be okay, because there has got to be another episode with that character in.

That's one of the reasons I like anthology shows. Because there is no regular cast you never know what will happen.

Clearly, you haven't been watching Game of Thrones. ;)

Have you noticed this pattern in every episode of any tv show

Of course, that's just the classic five acts dramatic structure. It's an extremely common and dominant pattern for story-telling (in any medium). So, don't be surprised to see that particular structure, because it's literally everywhere.

The other main dramatic structure is the "epic", which are things like Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire. The way to recognize this structure is by the "cliff hangers", with the very obvious purpose of making you want to know what's going to happen next to your favorite hero(es) or how they will get out of their predicaments. People generally like epics, but they are very difficult to pull off, which is why many of them gain instant popularity but can easily fall flat (e.g., Lost, Heroes, True Blood, etc.). That's because the long-term arcs of the story and of the characters is very important and hard to craft well, and if it's missing, the whole thing just turns into melodrama (i.e., "soap opera") where the overall story and characters are essentially static with lots of rises and falls but no net or meaningful movement.

That's one of the reasons I like anthology shows.

Oh yeah, I love those, like The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. I wish there were more of those. I would love to see a film noir or graphic novel stylized anthology show (imagine, a Sin City anthology show, how awesome would that be!).

I used to enjoy Police Story. It was an anthology series that ran from 1973 to 1978.

I massively enjoyed Police Squad. Love shows where they so clearly have fun poking fun at themselves and everything silly in TV land...

and another one about cop shows: notice how they always find one and only one fingerprint, and it's always a perfect match with the bad guy?
Reality of course there'd be dozens or hundreds of prints and it takes forever to sort them all out.

One "reality show" I watched for example they found a single fingerprint from the perp on a grocery bag used to asphyxiate the victim, a bag that they knew had belonged to the victim.
Why only one? The perp would either wear gloves and leave none or wear no gloves and leave many.
And of course there'd be prints from the victim there, probably from store personel where the bag originated as well, etc. etc.

Reality of course there'd be dozens or hundreds of prints and it takes forever to sort them all out.

And most would be so blurry they wouldn't be useful.

But that isn't as annoying the particulate matter in the dirt of a boot or pollen on someones clothing which of course all comes from the crimescene and not from the other hundred other places that person has been walking before the crime was committed.

It's not the single fingerprint that gets me. It's the trace evidence that always narrows it down to a single something (the chocolate found in the victim's stomach is only sold in this particular store).

According to the many TV crime shows it doesn't pay to be a criminal.

indeed. Of course it pays less than being a TV personality so from their perspective they're right...

I am a little depressed about TV shows because they are totally boring and like questioning the patience of a common man. Some unnatural demonstrations and practices make me irritating to sit in front of TV.

totally boring and like questioning the patience of a common man

rather many deny the sanity and intellect of a common man...
I really only watch Discovery and NGC any longer, and the occasional (older...) movie.
Most anything else (and a lot of that) just pisses me off.
One advantage: it makes my television last a lot longer, no need to replace it every few years. Hope it lasts another decade or so, and when it fails I may decide to not replace it but cancel cable.

In the vein of interfacing with an alien's computer, the plot of the James Bond film, GoldenEye, was electronically transferring everything from the Bank of England and immediately triggering an EMT pulse that would corrupt/erase magnetic media.

But what does the criminal do then? Walk into a Bank of England branch and say "my computer says that I own everything. Start loading up the trucks (I mean lorries)". The bank cleark would say "Excuse me while I check one of our hundred other branches worldwide, and then we will confirm via our backup on those new fangled CDs, which use a laser so weren't affected. Oh yes, our fraud department checked for fraud immediately afer the EMT incident and has reversed those transactions."

What I am beginning to hate is the torture of 'criminals' or they catch the bad guy and someone just slugs them. Hawaii 50 is big on knocking bad guys around after they have them in custody (plus I hate that constant bickering). NCIS alwasy seems to add a little gratuitous violence bordering on torture when they need some information. In Person of Interest, the people they shoot in the knee is always in the middle of the action and if there is any torture done it is by the psycho-bitch with god in her ear.

Do you think that is a reflection of the times, or is it to get us used to the idea that abusing/torturing a perp is acceptable because it always leads to good intel and is never (never ever) done to someone innocent?

Way too much violence on the screens these days. Bring back the A-team. Those guys fired thousands of rounds of ammunition and never hit anyone. Now that was entertainment!

Do you think that is a reflection of the times, or is it to get us used to the idea that abusing/torturing a perp is acceptable because it always leads to good intel and is never (never ever) done to someone innocent?

Probably the first one. Cop shows are not ment to be realistic for one every crime is eventually solved and they always get the right person (who almost always confesses). In reality many crimes are never solved and many innocent people are convicted.

I much preferred Stargate Atlantis' dealing with terrorism than any of the 'realistic cop shows'. They do end up torturing the criminal to get the information to defuse the bomb but they also almost torture an innocent person as well and nobody ends up the hero, they all just feel really awful at the end.

Closeup shots of people's faces reading off information in a manner they would not normally talk to each other. Those investigative shows are loaded with it.

How is it that on Blue Bloods, everyone in the family speaks so well except for Danny who talks like he was raised in "Joisey"? Imagine how out of place it would have seemed if John-Boy Walton had spoken with an Australian accent.

Fox's "all ads all the time" in sports. It looks like I'm not alone.

From http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/10/mlb-postseason-tv-ratings-2014-tbs-up-fs1-down-royals-orioles-cardinals-giants/
"Overall, six of the seven playoff games on TBS have had double-digit
increases in viewership compared to last year"

"Of the four playoff games on FS1, three rank among the network's ten
most-viewed programs since rebranding -- but the same number have
declined double-digits from last year."

Which I guess means the number of viewers since rebranding has been really low if there is a double digit decline from last year, but it is still one of their most watched shows.

Lately I have been falling asleep in front of the Tele. Is it the boring programs or some subliminal message?

Watching "Bones" too much and ending up with a medical degree.

The last two episodes of "Bones" were particularly gory. One victim was hit by lightning and they had toast on the examination table. The other victim ended up in a commercial wash machine and all the flesh fell off. I am always surprised that the folks don't were gas masks when they examine the cadavers.

I hate when a TV show is built around a "hook". One of two things happens

1. The show is a hit and the "hook" is stretched out way beyond the show's ability to sustain it (Lost, Revenge, Resurrection).
  2. The show is cancelled before we can find out what is going on (Flash Forward).

The show is cancelled before we can find out what is going on (Flash Forward).

You can always read the book to find out what was going on in FlashForward. But if I remember correctly, the TV show took the concept from the book then added a dumb conspiracy plot rather than just addressing the whole is the future predetermined & do we have free will. So probably they hadn't actually thought out the 'answer' was going to be.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.