When we switched over from vBulletin to our own unique platform back in March 2012, one of the things that changed was the way that post quality score was calculated. Most members noticed their quality score had suddenly changed by a few points.

Since then, however, over the past year and a half, there have already been two separate instances of members complaining that an ill-willed member went on a downvoting spree with the sole intention of being malicious and affecting their quality score.

Our original formula for calculating post quality score was much better at softening the effects of this type of malice, and therefore I've decided to revert to the previous calculation.

Once again, you'll notice a change in your quality score today. I apologize for the confusion.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I think this was worth your time. For some members, probably more than would admit, their scores are important to them.

... says the person who has a 97% post quality score ;)

The post quality score is definitely the best indicator for how worthy and awesome a member is. Shamelessly coming from another 97% scorer ;) (I'm sure JorgeM agrees with me!)

... says the person who has a 97% post quality score ;)

... says the person who has a puny 90% score ;)

Could you put a cut-off date for the calculations, for example only calculate for the most recent 3 or 4 years? That would de-emphasize the quality of very old posts.

Could you put a cut-off date for the calculations, for example only calculate for the most recent 3 or 4 years? That would de-emphasize the quality of very old posts.

I think that there shoulnt be a cut-off date for your individual scores, but I think that makes sense with regard to rankings.

For example, there are a lot of members that rank high in different categories, but havent contributed in years. What's the point in showcasing these members in the top 100 list. I think that your rank should be based upon your recent scores, say within the past 6 months to a year or so. This type of ranking would depict those members that are active and provide quality content to the site.

If this site is focusing on social community aspects, then i think that being social is being here and now, not about what happened 5 years ago....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.