So... random question to you guys (i haven't seen anyone ask this yet).

What workouts/excercises/etc. do you Daniwebbers do to stay in shape? Normally I hear that people on the computer are normally really feeble geeks with point dexters but no one ever mentions a muscular programmer. So, what do you guys do to stay in shape?

For me, my all time favorite workout is sitting (yes i said it, and i will explain if necessary) and my other favorites are pullups (wide grip and with leg raises to go with each rep plus hold for 1-3 seconds), benchpress, sprinting, squats (normally with 2 45'lb plates on each side of 45'lb bar doing high reps (around 25-35)), rowing, plyometric workouts, etc.

So... what are your favorite workouts?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Elliptical, exercise bike, and treadmill. I try to do 30-45 minutes at least three times a week. It's not a lot, but for someone who works at home on the computer, it's just about the only exercise I get.

used to ride a bike 20-30km a day, hike 5-10km a day, swim several hours a week.
Then I got into an accident that destroyed my knees...

@Dani, if you want a good workout for someone who works at home on the computer, try my all time favorite workout. I call it sitting :D The only way you feel the benefit of it is if you put your legs on top of your desk and apply tension to your core/abdominal muscles. Believe it or not, that was the original reason on why I got my six pack in the start of middle school :D

You can also try standing when you do your work....

I have a Fitbit and walk to the gym and back for about 7-8k steps, stretch, swim, do some isolated machines and some core including 'the wheel' but mostly I wander around the apt. wondering why I came into this room and what it is I was going to do.

and some core including 'the wheel'

Ahhh... the the wheel! That is like one of the hardest workouts for the core possible! (i hope we are talking about the same "wheel"). I can only do about 8-10 reps max on those things... but that was 2 years ago :)

My favorite is weighted hanging leg raises w/ wide grip pull-ups... those really hit the core/abs :D

In all honesty I hardly do anything. I'm one of those people who rarely feels hungry but can out eat the majority of people and not put any weight, or go a day or so so without realising I haven't eaten.

I haven't got a six-pack and I'm not ripped but I climb a lot and do the odd week of exercise (to try to get ripped) when I'm bored so I don't look like a muffin but don't ask me to run a mile because I probably won't make it half way!.

Like my Bio says I'm distinctly average...

Um...round is a shape, right? :-)

Just kidding. I usually just take a daily walk in the hills near my home. I have some nice little loop trails I follow that are between 2 and 4 miles. I've found that if I have my dinner, then have a post-prandial stroll, it really keeps me fit. Plus, I occasionally go for a jog (when the mood takes me...nothing formal). I don't go to the gym...never did, even when I was a competetive decathlete many decades ago.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I never used to really concentrate on squats and deadlifts, and mainly just hit the upper body because... who cares about the legs right?

But now I understand that those core exercise are absolutely essential. If I ever do three exercises and those alone, it has to be deadlift squats and benchpress.

I fit those into my week at the very least. I'm starting to see the results.

So... what are your favorite workouts?

That's a slippery slope if you ask the right person. My favorite workout is a 4 day upper/lower body split:

Monday: Lower
Tuesday: Upper
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Upper
Friday: Lower
Weekend: Rest

The individual exercises vary, but my days are broken down into at least one movement on each plane as the base and additional supplementary exercises as I feel the need or desire:

Upper
  • Vertical pull (eg. Pullup)
  • Horizontal pull (eg. Row)
  • Vertical push (eg. Shoulder press)
  • Horizontal push (eg. Bench press)
Additional Upper
  • Face pulls
  • Biceps curls
  • Triceps presses
  • Pullovers
Lower
  • Push (eg. Squat or leg press)
  • Pull (eg. Deadlift, rack pull, etc...)
  • Calf raises (both seated and standing)
Additional Lower
  • Glute ham raises
  • Leg curls
  • Leg extensions
  • Toe lifts (not sure of the actual name, works the anterior tibialis)

Rep ranges vary depending on the exercise and current progression on weight. I pick a weight that gets me 5 reps where I start to struggle on the last rep, and increase reps until I can do about 10 without struggling, then reset with a higher weight.

With properly tuned reps, my sets naturally fall into the 3-5 range, so I don't usually bother counting them.

I don't do any form of cardio at the gym that doesn't come from lifting weights. However, I do play tennis, which is excellent cardio. :)

I think I remembered everything. Just doing the base exercises can get me in and out in about 30 minutes, doing all of the additional exercises raises the time to around an hour. I prefer working out in the evening, then having dinner afterward.

I don't do any form of cardio at the gym that doesn't come from lifting weights. However, I do play tennis, which is excellent cardio. :)

tennis is a great cardio... too bad i suck at it :( But fortunately for me, my favorite cardio is sprinting (burns fat, gains muscles and definition) ;)

Rep ranges vary depending on the exercise and current progression on weight. I pick a weight that gets me 5 reps where I start to struggle on the last rep, and increase reps until I can do about 10 without struggling, then reset with a higher weight.

I am the opposite, i start heavy and go down to the lightest except the heaviest rep should allow me to the do at the minimum of 25 reps on whatever workout ;D

Additional Upper
Face pulls
Biceps curls
Triceps presses
Pullovers

Hmmm, i never seemed to like any form of curling weights... they don't anything. I am more of a fan of chinups w/ leg raises (weighted) or widegrip pull ups w/ leg raises (weighted) ;D

But hey, the huge trick into getting in better shape is your diet and rest (sleep)... that covers 90% of the job ;)

Hmmm, i never seemed to like any form of curling weights... they don't anything.

My biceps don't grow well just from compound movements, so I use curls to get better results.

But hey, the huge trick into getting in better shape is your diet and rest (sleep)... that covers 90% of the job ;)

Nutrition is a whole other can of worms. Don't get me started, or I may start talking about biochemistry. ;)

My biceps don't grow well just from compound movements, so I use curls to get better results.

They probably only will work for me if wear some really tight straps (canceling blood flow) and inject steroids in to my arms plus take some extreme muscle supplements curling 200+lbs ;)

I guess everyone's bodies are very much different... or i just don't know how to curl properly (which i am certain isn't the case) :D

My routine usually goes as follows:

Average day:
Cardio(Running)
Compound Exercises(By Muscle Group)

Schedule:
Monday - Upper
Tuesday - Lower
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Upper
Friday: Lower
Saturday - Touch Up
Sunday - Rest

Chest/Arms:
Bench Press
-Flat
-Incline
-Decline

Curling
-Preacher curls
-Hammer
-Modified Hammer (Twist dumbell when 3/4 into contraction)

Bench Dips

Shoulders/Back:

Facepulls:
-Top down
-Face level
-Bottom up

Rows

Pulldowns
-Font (Bar touches chest)
-Back (Bar touches traps)

Legs:

Legpress:
-Warm up at 700
-3 sets of 15 reps at 1100
Squats:
-Warm up at 205
-3 sets of 15 reps at 450

Running to finish legs off

commented: Wow +0

Legpress:
-Warm up at 700
-3 sets of 15 reps at 1100

How far do you take your knees to your body? Normally, I train with 14 45lb (over 630, if you count the default weight of the leg press itself) plates on the vertical leg press and take my knees from straight to knees basically touching my chest (at 30 reps, 5-6 sets ;D)

I'd say about 3-4 inches from chest.

We call that "butt to the grass"

I don't know how you guys all do this!? Is it because you're guys?! I'm really lucky if I get a little elliptical workout in every so often, and I'm content with that!

My week normally goes as follows:

Work - Most of the day
Gym - 1 hour 30 minutes
Social Life - What's left

Is it because you're guys?!

I'm not sure how that would make a difference.

I'm really lucky if I get a little elliptical workout in every so often, and I'm content with that!

If it's important enough to you, you can make time for it. My workouts are quick, but effective. Since I live 10 minutes from work, the time I'd spend commuting can be factored into the workour also. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.