Hi there!

I came here for your advice :)
The thing is that I want to start learning programming language which suits to these requirements:
Web development, working with databases, need to be quite popular, good options for employment, good options to working on freelance projects too (small and middle projects), has good community support, a large set of online tutorials and is not very complex and difficult to learn.

I'm not total beginner in programming world, but I need to start somewhere and make some visible results on my projects.
So please help mi with your advices and experiences.

Many thanks to every reply!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Definitely PHP! I think it fulfills all of those requirements!

Thank you very much for your reply, NerdCake.
Do you also have any recommendation for PHP based open source CMS?

Hello,

ld, but I need to start somewhere and make some visible results on my projects.

Maybe you should assess what your "projects" are and then make the decision on the language to choose?

Maybe you should assess what your "projects" are and then make the decision on the language to choose?

Like I said, something in web development so I need a type of language which is powerful enough to make something useful. I can't cleary define what my projects would be cuz I don't know what are clients requests yet, but I can realize during the education (what are the most common things).

I'm choosing between PHP, Python(Django), Java and C# (ASP.NET). Ofcourse I know JavaScript will be needed for dynamic.

I really think PHP is what you're looking for here. There are lots of CMS's to choose from like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla or something.

Member Avatar for diafol

If you're just starting out and want to lure in clients asap, then you may benefit from using cms, like joomla or drupal. Even wordpress can produce nice sites that your clients can then edit to their hearts' content. These use PHP and you'll need to understand the nuts and bolts of the language with a bit of OOP thrown in, in order to get a firm grip on them.

I don't think there are any easy shortcuts in webdev though, having said that. If the client phones you up complaining that his new shiny site for which you charged him $$$$ doesn't work in IE7 or he keeps getting nonsensical error messages, then you better know what you're doing and remedy the situation - fast.

You mean to enter a very competitive and fast moving market. Make sure that you have the energy and the right tools and skills. Sorry if that sounds a bit negative - I don't want to discourage you - just be aware of the amount of work that you need to put in to make a success of it as a one-man band. HTML5/CSS3 with polyfills and shims/shivs, PHP (pref. OOP) - or another server-side language, SQL (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL or MSSQL flavoured), javascript (and possibly frameworks/libs like jQuery/prototype/mootools etc), Apache/htaccess, hosting/reselling?, email management, licencing and copyright, graphics??, XML??. Those are just the basics.

You can start honing new found skills by building a few sites of your own.

commented: :D +0

then you may benefit from using cms, like joomla or drupal.

Not really. if you are good with php, then yes use those 2 cms's... its better to use wordpress

These use PHP and you'll need to understand the nuts and bolts of the language with a bit of OOP thrown in, in order to get a firm grip on them.

now that i agree with ;D

I don't think there are any easy shortcuts in webdev though, having said that. If the client phones you up complaining that his new shiny site for which you charged him $$$$ doesn't work in IE7 or he keeps getting nonsensical error messages, then you better know what you're doing and remedy the situation - fast.

Well said :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.