Here in Manitoba we just let the old farts keep driving until they kill themselves. Unfortunately they sometimes take a few of the younger folk with them. More often it's just a tree or a fence.

I saw a sci-fi movie once where people were sacrificed to the gods on their 25th birthday (they were considered too old after that I suppose).

Wasn't that a Star Trek TNG episode involving Lwaxana Troi?

Yes, Dani I think you are right.

Only I think in the episode they would live to be 55, not 25. :) Are you still talking about a different movie or is that what you were referring to?

David Ogden Stiers (post M*A*S*H) played the "old" dude.

I think there is a stargate atlantis episode where it is the 25th birthday.

Ah, well there you go. I never really got into Atlantis. SG1 jumped the shark for me when MacGyver was frozen.

Member Avatar for diafol

Logan's Run, Star Trek, The Island, SG, Ilium/Olympos - all seem to agree that being old is bad. Who'd be around to teach the young ones the art of the finger-pulling-magic-fart trick? How poorer their lives would be :(

I was just reminded that half of SG1 episodes were rescripted Star Trek episodes.

The Stargate franchise seems to rip-off pretty much everything including themselves on many occasions. SG1 in particular is more comedy than anything else.

I wonder if computers need to put up with humans 1000 years from now?

Member Avatar for diafol

I wonder if computers need to put up with humans 1000 years from now?

Will there be a difference between them in 1000 years?

Perhaps by then, we are merged into cyborgs Or perhaps humans are extinct and computers have found a way to replicate themselves out of basic stuff like sand, some metalminerals, etc. They would live for a very long time, for no reason at all.

They would live for a very long time, for no reason at all.

As opposed to humans which lived a longer time, for no reason at all...

As opposed to humans which lived a longer time, for no reason at all...

I know, life is absurd.

Old folks are just a drag on society. Putting up with them with about 25 years after retirement is generous enough. Making this 925 years would be insane. They are a major source of income for the medical profession now.

commented: insensitive and insulting +0

I would hope if life span were 1000 years then the retirement age would be something like 950. That also means all you young folks would never get jobs because there were so many old people still working.

It would also mean mankind would have to populate other planets so there would be enough room to hold all those people. Earth of already overpopulated, what would it be like if the life span were doubled or trippled?

That also means all you young folks would never get jobs because there were so many old people still working.

If the retirement age was 950, then you would also be part of the "young folks". They would say: "Pfff, he only got gray hair like a couple of decades ago.. he's almost an infant."

Earth of already overpopulated, what would it be like if the life span were doubled or trippled?

My guess would be that there would have to be severe population control, i.e., the number of children would have to limited severely (and I can't imagine how you would have to go about doing that, like sterilizing most people and stuff like that). That's the sad part of this "living 1000 years" thing, is that there won't be much children around, and not many people "allowed" to have children either. That would take away one major factor of purpose and fulfillment, not to mention that it would be boring if only adults existed (would we still have amuzement parks, and stuff?).

commented: The new motto would be "don't trust anyone over 500". +0

@sneekula

I've been retired since 2008. I saved for my retirement by paying into

1. company pension plan
  2. Canada Pension Plan
  3. investments/bank accounts
  4. RRSP (registered retirement saving plan)

I am not a drain on society. I paid taxes all of my working life. And now I continue to support the economy by spending my retirement income. I drive much less (now that I no longer commute) so my carbon footprint is much smaller and I am a regular contributor on daniweb and on several other forums. So all in all I consider your "drag on society" and "putting up with" comments more than just a little insulting and insensitive.

As for the "major source of income for the medical profession" comment - I used the Canadian medical system very little until I reached retirement. I had major surgery in 1978 after a skiing accident then not much else other than the occasional bout of whatever until 2009 when I got thyroid cancer. I paid into medical insurance via income and other taxes for 40+ years so if you are one of those people who believes the system should now abandon me because I am a "drag on society" then you can kiss my a$$.

I'm in much the same position as the Reverend, and I have to pay taxes on all my retirement pay; it isn't tax free.

My guess would be that there would have to be severe population control

It is possible that if we would all live some 1000 years, that we only could start having children at the age of 100 or 200 or so.

Bummer! It would take a couple hundred years to reach puberty :) That would also mean I would have to raise my kids for several hundred years. Ohh Myyy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.