What word is pronounced the same after you remove 4 letters?

i was wondering if you could provide some more interesting words.But i think that queue is the only word
i also find the same word(i.e. queue).I think that queue is the only 5 character long word thats pronunciation remain same even after removing continuous 4 words.However we can have more words if there is no condition like removing character in continuous fashion.

Here's one. Construct a meaningful sentence which contains the consecutive words "and and and and and".

Rev Jim asked me to write a sentence which contains the consecutive words 'and and and and and'. And there you go.

Is punctuation allowed?

We were listining to the soundtrack of the Convention for and AND: And and And.

I tried that approach in school.

TEACHER: Jim. Please use the word, obsequious in a sentence.
ME: "I don't know the meaning of the word, obsequious."

A guy buys a pub and renames it the "Pig and Whistle" but when the new sign is delivered it says "PigandWhistle" so he tells the workman that there should be more space between Pig and and and and and Whistle.

You missed a punctuation, there should be a comma between and and and and and and, as so: "between Pig and and, and and and Whistle." ;)

There should also be quotation marks around the words in the sign when they are referred to in the sentence: between 'Pig' and 'and', and 'and' and 'Whistle'

Although the comma is not necessary depending on which gammarian you ask.

Is anyone else annoyed about how bad spelling is becoming among people who text a lot? I see the next 100 years evolving an entirely new English dictionary as a result of cellphone texts. Really unfortunate for humankind.

I see the next 100 years evolving an entirely new English dictionary as a result of cellphone texts.

I don't think so. I think the frequency of text-speak is percieved to be much higher than it really is. I'm in my twenties and have lots of friends who text a lot but they only use the text-speak spelling if they are using a cellphone without a full keyboard. (Similar to newspaper personal ad abbreviations which are only used in those contexts). Even other online activities: blogging, tweeting, FB posts are almost always entirely in standard English. As more and more portable electronic devices have either voice recognition or full keyboards text-speak will disappear again. Of course it will probably hang around as slang for the teenagers for longer but it won't ever become the default method for communication.

However, certain abbrieviations/'words' probably will be widely adopted (eg. lol) since they are being used to communicate tone/inflection for online/text communications for which there isn't really suitable alternatives.

Lol, I didn't know a dictionary could be "authoritarian".

Why not, bloody thing is always telling me how and how not to spell.

As an example, When I was in high school I used to use the word 'gradiate', but the dictionary, smacked me down and advised me that it wasn't a word.

I say revolt against the system spell the way you feel :).

Gradiate:

Example: The colour ( correct spelling with a u) gradiates from blue to red.

as opposed to:

The colour's gradient transverses from blue to red.

or

The colour's gradient is -1b,1r,0g in the range [0,255] where at x=0, r=0, b=255, g=0.

I've always liked "glid" as a past tense of glide. Why not? Slid is the past tense of slide and they are almost the same word. I also like "gription" as in "I can't twist off the jar lid because I can't get enough gription". Like friction only for grip.

According to Google glid is a swedish word for glide.

I figure if you just use a word enough, get it in a couple of books, then slowly those crazy dictionaries will catch up.

I like glid, It's quite logical.

You're totally right, I see it all the time, including within social media platforms. Half of the time I have to do a double-take just to figure out what the person is trying to say.

It would appear that you and I have similar sensibilities about grammar. We can't expect others to have the same erudition as you and I. If they make mistakes, let them, they're only demonstrating their ineptitude to you and me.

And I ain't an expert in grammar either, although I fancy myself a connaisseur.

It would appear.. or does it? You a connoisseur of spelling too? ;)

You a connoisseur of spelling too? ;)

Hehe.. Actually, in this case, I'm a connaisseur of French (my native language), and also quite of the opinion that if you guys (English-speakers) are going to borrow a word from French, and still try, but fail miserably, to pronounce it as it is in French, then you can at least spell it correctly. When anglophones say "connoisseur", they actually pronounce it "connaisseur" (or at least, try to), so they should spell it like that (and I believe it is an accepted spelling too). Glad you caught it, I wrote it like that on purpose, but no one else caught it. ;)

Here in Winnipeg I am always correcting people on street names. With a large French population (St. Boniface) we have many French street names that are horribly mispronounced. Des Meurons is mangled as dez mew-rons and nobody seems to know that Lagemodiere noes not end in a long "a".

I must admit I would struggle with that a little as well, In London we just have people mispronouncing Southwark and Thames.

Couple of weeks ago I mispronounced Surrey Quays.

Here, two common mispronunciations around here are:

"Missouri" a state name, pronounced missourah or missouree, even state officials such as the Governor and state federal senators flip flop between the two pronunciations.

and Des Moines (the capital of Iowa) where the s is silent.

We have one street named McGillivray which for some unfathomable reason people pronounce as muh-gill-ver-ee.

Here, we some peoples use the conversational english.
I mean: To put "Me" at the end seems to correct and proper than of I,
But I is also correct

As for pronounciation, One should try Phonetic
I enjoyed it when it was started in my college

Two word's that get used quite commonly in our industry, route and data are quite interesting.

The USA have drifted away from the English pronunciation, and due to the proliferation of American TV a great deal of Australians also use the American pronunciation of route.

Traveling 200 miles in the UK would bring you to not only very different accents, but also a different pronunciation of the word iron.

So while there may be a correct pronunciation of a word, I would pose that the incorrect pronunciation is only incorrect until a large enough group adopt it.

Traveling 200 miles in the UK would bring you to not only very different accents, but also a different pronunciation of the word iron

From what I understand, just travel across the street and you'll find different accents. The play/movie My Fair Lady was all about that.

To put "Me" at the end seems to correct and proper than of I,

It's "You and I" not "You and me" or "Me and you". Using the word me there just sounds and looks uneducated.

Technically me can be correct as well :

The gift was for him and me.

He and I were given a gift.

If you would use him, you should use me, if you would use he you should use I.

Actully it's simpler then that, if you remove the other noun and the conjunction the sentance should still make sense.

"I was given a gift" is correct while "Me was given a gift" is clearly incorrect.

"The gift was for me" is correct while yet again "The gift was for I" is clearly incorrect.

This entire topic has just served to remind me of Henry Higgins. Good musical :)

No, The real word is "Phonetics"

Wouldn't it make more sense to spell it "fonetik"?

Which include 20 vowels where 12 are pure vowels and 8 Diptherms and total 44 letters.
More Details

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.