LoL, she's a smart lady and I wasn't trying to make her look bad, but she formally has a grade 8 education.

As it turned out, I told her about one spelling mistake and she found 3 more and she was very thankful.

Now I feel guilty for apparently dissing my mom.

Saying someone has only a grade 8 education is not "dissing". It's merely stating a fact. It also does not attest to the state of her education or her intelligence. My dad completed grade 9 (in 1925) before leaving school to work on the farm. In spite of that he was extremely well read and continued to "self educate" for the rest of his life. In spite of his limited formal education he became the superintendent of public works, a municipal councilman, a member of the school board and an executive of the local YMCA. He also ran for parliament in 1953 (fortunately, he lost). He was one of the most intelligent and open-minded men I have ever known.

Have you noticed, more and more as time moves on, your is replacing you're. I see this all the time in txt and social media posts.

Your kidding? Theirs a grammer problem on social media sites?

Yeah!! can you believe it.. its out of control!

Not surprised, considering that another thread revealed 1 in 4 people think the sun revolves around the earth!

I read that. And 56% of people polled prior to the last Superbowl game believed that God, rather than talent, would decide who won. I guess it was all based on which team prayed the hardest before kickoff.

and if you ask on facebook and twitter 95% no doubt thinks the entire universe revolves around them...

commented: 6% at least +0

1 in 4 still believe the Sun revolves around the Earth? Seriously wtf?

Member Avatar for diafol

I read that. And 56% of people polled prior to the last Superbowl game believed that God, rather than talent, would decide who won. I guess it was all based on which team prayed the hardest before kickoff.

Well, not if you're a non-conformist, you probablky believe in predestination, so the result is a foregone conclusion, regardless of how hard you pray. God has already thrown his dice and logged the result ;)

and if you ask on facebook and twitter 95% no doubt thinks the entire universe revolves around them...

Mostly people in Toronto and New York.

[edit]
But we're kind of derailing this thread, arent' we?
[/edit]

commented: yes indeed +0

Speaking of Hotels (just a saying from an old commercial), I was the drive-through at a coffee shop called Tim Hortons (for all you non-Canadians) yesterday morning. I placed an order for 2 coffees and proceded to pull up to the window. Once there, the coffee clerk gave me my coffees and said 'they're paid for'. What???

Apparently the lady in front of us paid for our order. I was blown away but that and thought, I have to pay this forward. Unfortunately there was no one behind me so I couldn't do it right away and I don't typically order more than 2 coffees per week nowadays.

In saying that, I did find myself at Timmys once again last night and was able to pay it forward and damn if that didn't feel good. The order behind me was for 3 coffees and it cost me $7 but I imagine they were just as surprised as I was when it happened to me and hopefully they pay it forward.

Just thought I would throw this in here since this thread kind of makes me lose faith in humanity....jk.

maybe my paranoid self, but someone anonymously pays for my food or drinks I start getting suspicious :)

Member Avatar for diafol

How the hell did we get to here from Bad Grammar? My bad too. That's shocking grammar for you :)

commented: As I pointed out three posts up. +0

Well, let's get back on topic then.
In a discussion with my daughter the other night, she thought Make love, not war. is correct and I think it is more like Make love, no war.
So what do you guys and girls think?

We got here because I'm a bad-a$$ and I changed the topic!!

Stuugie tucks himself in and checks himself into the corner

commented: naughty boy +0
Member Avatar for diafol

I'd agree with you as the second bit follows from the first, as it "do this, not that".

Your daughter's version doesn't really make much sense as there is no connection between them - I suppose "Make love. No war" or even "make love - no war" would make more sense, but it's still clumsy and sounds like somebody got the "make love, not war" wrong.

//EDIT

Did you just change things around dd? I'm now agreeing with your daughter - it's "NOT".

I go for not considering that the choices are make love or make war. If the choices were to make cookies or cakes would you say make cookies, not cakes or make cookies, no cakes?

more like Make love, no war.

Nope -- your daughter is right. (link)

Another way to say it is "Make love, make no war"

I'd agree with Make love, not war as opposed to make love, no war. To me, make love no war flows like make-love-no-war as if it was all encompassing and one, even with a comma. Does that make sense?

The phrase's origins are unclear; some credit Louis Abolafia. Radical activists Penelope and Franklin Rosemont helped to popularize the phrase by printing thousands of "Make Love, Not War" buttons at the Solidarity Bookshop in Chicago, Illinois and distributing them at the Mother's Day Peace March in 1965. They were the first to print the slogan.[

wiki, the authority on everything.

Member Avatar for diafol

@AD - copy cat!

OK, OK you guys, and my daugther win.
This gonna cost me at least a bottle of champaign :{
Luckily I just betted with my daughter...
Have to change my signature here...
Thanks to all of you anyway.:)

@AD - copy cat!

Sorry, I didn't see your post :)

I think the problem with this has to do with the definitiveness of the word "war". For example, if we say "No shit?!" (which is a contraction of "is what you're telling no shit?!"), the "no" is appropriate (as opposed to "not") because the word "shit" is indefinite (or abstract). In the opposite case, like if you say "by the lack of smell, I can say that the brown stain on the floor is not shit", you use "not" because of the concrete / definite use of the word. The ambiguity with the word "war" is that it can be both also. However, in the context of a verb like "make", the complement must be definite, i.e., you cannot "make" something abstract or indefinite. "Make love" is a concrete act, and so is "make war". And also, another way to see it is that "not war" is a contraction of "do not make war", where the "do make" is implied by the previous "make love", i.e., it is "do make love, do not make war" becoming "make love, not war". But in indefinite cases, you would use "no", such as saying "we don't want no war with you" (which is, in itself, an interesting structure).

commented: Interesting! +0

I have always interpreted this slogan as rather abstract. In a sence that Make love, not war means to me something like "Let all of us people love each other and let there be no more war." But perhaps that is a too personal interpretation.

Well.. that's the double entendre, i.e., the sub-text. The text itself means "have sex instead of killing people", but the use of the word "war" which is usually indefinite (the "abstract" concept of war) and global in scope gives a sub-text to the whole expression. The globality of the term "war" imbues the "make love" with the same global scope, leading to the sub-text that says "let's all love each other, instead of making war with each other". That also creates an association of the very obvious truth that having sex is preferrable to killing people and the proposition that world-peace should be just as obviously desirable. That's the poetry (or imagery) that is conveyed by the phrase and why it sticks in people's minds. But that's beyond the grammar of it.

Member Avatar for diafol

Guys - you are in serious danger of climbing up your own derrieres. Accent ignored coz I can't be derriered.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.