hence in Scotland we tend to go all out in celebration at Hogmanay (party starts on 31st and lasts until the 1st or 2nd).

LOL -- I'm moving to Scotland :)

Santa has no religious meaning. He is a jolly soul that represents gift giving, flying sleds and obesity. Let's name the whole thing Santaday.

Santa or father Christmas represents St. Nicolas.. However the red coat comes from a Coca Cola advert... He used to be green

According to wiki that isn't exactly true

Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom’s depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company’s Christmas advertising in the 1930s.[7][32] The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand.[33] Historically, Coca-Cola was not the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image of Santa Claus in its advertising—White Rock Beverages had already used a red and white Santa to sell mineral water in 1915 and then in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923.[34][35][36] Earlier still, Santa Claus had appeared dressed in red and white and essentially in his current form on several covers of Puck magazine in the first few years of the 20th century.[37]

Member Avatar for Warrens80

St. Nicholas was a real person

I usually try not to trust wiki

Member Avatar for diafol

Satan Claws is real.

So is the Easter Bunny :)

gentlemen, lets not forget about the tooth fairy...

I once saw Cupid

I once saw santa at the gym, heck look at him now!

I heard in Germany an angel brings the presents on Christmas eve. A little more believable for little kids than a fat guy sliding down the non existent chimney.

A little more believable for little kids than a fat guy sliding down the non existant chimney.

That is 'murica for you!

Member Avatar for diafol

I used to be Santa when my kids were young. They used to watch him (me) walking down the street and eating the mince pies and slurping the sherry left out. It was 'Oh Dad, I don't believe it, you missed him again!' hehe. One year I took a longer run up and got accosted by a neighbour (drunk) who dragged me into his house and paraded me in front of all his guests (all very drunk) and force fed me more mince pies and all the sherry I could stomach. My wife wasn't too impressed as she had to keep the kids by the window for about 20 minutes. Worth it though. ;)

commented: haha +0

Deck the halls with boughs of holly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to be jolly,

Don we now our gay apparel,
Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
Troll the ancient Yule tide carol,

See the blazing Yule before us,
Strike the harp and join the chorus.

Follow me in merry measure,
While I tell of Yule tide treasure,

Fast away the old year passes,
Hail the new, ye lads and lasses,

Sing we joyous, all together,
Heedless of the wind and weather,

Йцукенгшщзхэждлорпаыфячсмитьбюъ

Member Avatar for diafol

How clever...

Fill the bars with Christmas drinking
fa la la la la la la la la
See the people getting stinking
Though their brains are half corroded
Still they try to drive home loaded

Yet their parents are so tired
The young children are up all night
Wondering if St. Nick exists
Their parents come into their rooms
Telling them that st. nick is fake
Leaving their own children in tears
The parents laugh in wonder
What dreams are left to diminish
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(your turn :D)

commented: Dude! At least make it rhyme. +0

@<M/> I guess you never heard of the notion of feet in prosody, nor about rhymes. Rev Jim's version is a beauty in both of these aspects. I'm just saying you shouldn't change your career path to become a song-writer just yet.

commented: ha... +0
commented: :) +0

@<M/> I guess you never heard of the notion of feet in prosody, nor about rhymes. Rev Jim's version is a beauty in both of these aspects. I'm just saying you shouldn't change your career path to become a song-writer just yet.

Haha nope, never heard of it until now :D I just wanted to join along! i mean why not? It's the christmas spirit, lol.

"eating the mince pies and slurping the sherry"
in the US that would be
"eating the cookies and slurping the Southern Comfort"

Hopefully someone comes up with something better!

I am here to trol

trol lol lol lol lol lol lo lo lol

I like to trol

It is awesome to be here

The end

"Heap on the wood!
The wind is chill;
But let it whistle as it will,
We'll keep our Christmas merry still."
... Sir Walter Scott

Only 8 days to go!!!!

12 days of Christmas song -- how many people were given to my true love? No fair peeking or googling.

12 days of Christmas song -- how many people were given to my true love?

I have no idea...

Member Avatar for diafol

12 days of Christmas song -- how many people were given to my true love? No fair peeking or googling.

Heh heh, how many people are not going to peek? There are probably a few versions, but as I remember it there's a human/animal-ring transition almost half way through. Can't remember if it's 8|7 or 7|6?

Heh heh, how many people are not going to peek? There are probably a few versions, but as I remember it there's a human/animal-ring transition almost half way through. Can't remember if it's 8|7 or 7|6?

I still don't get it... Am i missing the joke/riddle?

Member Avatar for diafol

12 Drummers drumming, 11 something something, 10 lords a leaping...

What the hell do they teach you in skool theez dayz?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.